Star Wars Celebration in Orlando...My first one with my first beskar'gam

I haven't heard of the Ram character, I don't dip much into EU stuff (I still cringe about Boba surviving the sarlacc).

Regardless of who did what to whom, I think these responses to a new member are criminal. This guy has obviously spent a lot of time and effort on his armour, and most likely made an honest mistake.

I thought this was meant to be a community of like minded people to share their love of Star Wars and costuming, you're grown adults and taking things far too seriously.

On a lighter note - "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery"

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry Phil, but if you had been around here longer than two months you would know that the community here is not about ripping off others designs, but is about helping others do their OWN custom armor, Zam or Fett costumes.

If this individual HAD spent a lot of time on his kit he would have his own design.

the community here would bend over backwards to help someone design, show tutorials or lend assistance with construction techniques.

my personal reflections and opinions may offend some. It is not my intention.

As lots know i will go out of my way to help everyone.

I saw Ram's armor and was blown away by his design and I've read every SW novel and the KT novels are among my favorites. There are a **** ton of Jango's and Boba's out there and no one gives them ****. I've never stated or claimed that this was an original design and it's nice to know that at least some of this forum's members are willing to give someone the benefit of the doubt and support. If Ray has a huge issue then I probably wouldn't wear it but that would be a shame considering that his design is awesome and even though mine is a poor imitation of his quality work, it still showcases his character and brings attention to it. Thanks to Ray for providing us with another awesome mando and hopefully he'll let all of us know his thoughts. To the haters.....get over it and if you can't then I don't really care if you want to troop with me. Like I said this was my first but it won't be my last. I fully intend to stretch my imagination with my next armor but it was fun to recreate something from the SW EU( this was kind of my "training wheels" project).

Juun, I don't think Ray would have a big issue over it. I've known Ray for a couple years now, probably not as good as 1 or 2 other people in the Mando community...but honestly I think the worst you'd get from him over it is a smile. Ray is a guy that many look up to, just like you do...and I think that is why some people have felt issue. However, yes as you say imitation is the best form of flattery. There is enough difference in your armor that you aren't trying to literally be the "Ram Zerimar" character, but a character inspired by his armor. That is really what everyone should be striving for, inspiring others through their own work. There have been plenty of people that have used elements of my personal set in their armor, and it's never really bothered me because my job is to give everyone out there a goal to attain with their own sets. I remember one such occasion where someone who had a helmet exactly like my MS:C that painted it exactly like mine minus the weathering.

You have to expect some armor imitation when you have a kit well known to a specific community.

I think you guys have been a little bit harsh with this. It would be different if Juun's kit was EXACTLY like Ray's but it's clearly not an exact copy.

Our entire existence as a community in Star Wars costuming comes from mirroring what we love about the universe and the characters that George Lucas created. Personally, I find it's too critical to ridicule someone for posting their hard work in a homage to Ram's kit. He is a fan of his work, as we all are, and he recreated it to start his Mando experience. I think if anyone is going to ridicule him of that, then we're all in the same hypocritical boat by mirroring our favourite culture from Star Wars. As he explained, "I've never stated or claimed that this was an original design".

With that in mind, does he really deserve such a critical response to posting his kit? I'll be the first to admit that constructive criticism is important in the costuming community but when there is no constructive aspects in criticism, it just turns people off to what we do and makes us sound like snobs. There is a correct way and an incorrect way to approach new members looking to get their foot in the door in starting this wonderful hobby and it would be a shame to give someone the wrong impression by publically humiliating them for their work. We all started somewhere and, sure, there may be unspoken rules in the community about some things but approaching someone with a soft, encouraging voice yields better responses than an abrasive, rebuking voice. It's easy to state opinions behind a keyboard with complete anonymity but I think it's important to remember there is still another person we're speaking toward behind their computer.

I'm not looking to rebuke anyone myself by posting this response and it is not aimed toward any one person but I think it's a necessary reminder that this is costuming. We shouldn't get so wrapped up into our hobby that we don't take account for other people's feeling into consideration. Especially for veterans in this hobby, you're the people that new members look up to and if you realize it or not, your words can make or break their enthusiasm. We should tread carefully with honour and maturity being on the forefront of our minds when we impart advice and any comments to each other.

Again, I will emphasis that I am not trying to speak down toward anyone because I am not perfect myself and if I ever did anything that someone found incorrect, I would want them to be just as upfront with me as I am being now.

hey I agree dude your work is good... your armor looks good, obviously no one can match Ray's actual armor because it's just so awesome but yours does come close. I apologize if my comments were misunderstood... I'm not criticizing you for immitating Ray's armor... I even made the point that it's a canon character so, but I would LIKE to see you make your own character... once again I am sorry if I came off offensive, I do like the kit, but I just think with that kind of talent you could really do something special, I feel ashamed that I was so harsh and I apologize, Noval and Teaster are right... we should encourage each other which is what I was trying to do... I just did it in the wrong way

Thanks to the folks that understand. I've never been one to let others criticism get in the way of me having fun. If I did I probably wouldn't be the star wars geek that I am.

Ha ha ha! You're a Star Wars Geek. What a nerd. Wait...what? I'm a Star Wars Geek too? Oh no!!!!

Hehe. Good work, bro. Can't wait to see what you come up with next.

I agree with Noval and Juun.The rest of ya all need to calm your shebs down.I like is armor.We all copy designs to a certain degree.I'm the one who came up with the idea to use Hard Hats for knees and shoulders and am flattered when people use the idea for their armor. So leave the man alone and worry about your own ****.
Juun, come down to the phx con in May with that armor and I'll troop with ya and we can both thumb our noses at Solus and BH-7603 (I know both,Solus more).
Noval has spoke so that is the end of it I hope.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back