War Machine Build. Warning! Pic Heavy! Updated Pics #20!

Halo 1

Well-Known Hunter
Hey Hunters,

Apologies on being away from home [yes, TDH is home ;)] but work has had me busy ay the workshop...Anyhow, with all the hype around Iron Man 2 and War Machine, I'd thought I'd post some pics up on a hybrid I'm doing for a local toy store that needs one for their toy launch.

Since it's a one off, I decided to save money and use one of the older Mark 3 suits [the very same ones we sculpted awhiles back] we had lying around that I repainted last year as a simple War Machine display at SGTCC 09, and just modify that to best represent War Machine. I'll be using the helmet as is, with just the new paintjob. Please do keep in mind that it's no way as accurate as the movie version but it'll be close enough, IMHO. :)

Using the orginial chest and shoulder/back pieces, I drew out, cut, and shaped PVC hardfoam card to 'recreate' the high mech like shoulders. Layering it with foam for lightness, it was then coated with resin to allow to sand and shape to fit. Mounting it onto the back piece, it was then cemented down, and the spacing filled with more resin to hold into place. Once dry, it was resanded down and painted. Detailed panels were also cut, dremeled, trimmed and added.

Once that was finished, I started work on the Minigun and the mounting system. Deciding on making it easier to affix on, I designed a simple mount system to be placed onto the right shoulder back. it will allow the Minigun to swivel up and down, but in no way left to right. :) It was also decided to lengthen the barrel abit more to make it look more menacing. :D The Minigun was made from PVC tubes, and held in place with industrial double sided tape. A pvc end cap was used to cover up the back [I decided on the end cap as it would allow me access to adjust/remove the screws that held the Minigun in place and should it be necessary, remove and fix the Minigun should anything happen].

I'm still working on the chest armor with additional chest plates [heat shaped PVC Hard foamcard] to recreate the different War Machine chest. Pics to follow once it's done...

The pics:
The Base Suit that will be reworked:
CIMG0037.jpg

The Mech like shoulder build:
CIMG0040.jpg

What it would look like and the process:
CIMG0043.jpg

CIMG0051.jpg

CIMG0056.jpg

CIMG0059.jpg

CIMG0062.jpg

After sanding down and painting it.

CIMG0066.jpg

CIMG0071.jpg

Detail pieces:
IMG_4936.jpg

IMG_4935.jpg

IMG_4949.jpg

IMG_4950.jpg

My custom mount system, reinforced with fiberglass:
IMG_4938.jpg

IMG_4940.jpg

More to pics in the next post...stay tuned and thanks for looking.

Stay safe,

Tim.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: War Machine [My take on it]Warning! Pic Heavy!

Minigun build parts:
CIMG0068.jpg

CIMG0069.jpg

CIMG0070.jpg

The new muzzle:
IMG_4959.jpg

New addon chest plates:
CIMG0073.jpg

The Minigun mounted and in SAFE mode:
IMG_4960.jpg

FIRE mode:
IMG_4964.jpg

IMG_4966.jpg

IMG_4968.jpg

That's it for now...

Stay safe,

Tim.

Re: War Machine [My take on it] Warning! Pic Heavy!

Wow- that is bitchin' - Gotta be honest, the more I see the character, the more I wanna make a War Machine suit...

That looks very good. Look forward to se the transformation.

Hi Hunters and thanks for the great kudos. :)

FYI, it'll be a full suit but like I said before, since it's a one off, it'll be reworked to best represent War Machine, i.e. it won't be accurate to the movie, but good enough for the Toy Store. ;)

Stay safe,

Tim.

Jaymay, surprisingly, the Minigun weighs close to nothing at all. And it doesn't even affect the balance of the backplate. :) Thanks!

Hey Hunters,

Another update on the progress of the hybrid War Machine. :) Finally finished the Chest Piece and removed the excess original part seen behind the new panels. It's not perfect but it does hide the original chest piece while still emulating the Tank like exterior seen in the trailer. With the shoulder bells, I used the same method for the shoulders, to create the armored bells. At the moment, I think it'll do, but if there's still time, I'd like to make some accurate improvements to em. The Gauntlets, which btw were done by a bud of mine [Edwin], were made from resin and fiberglass, with a little PVC hard foamcard and PVC tubing thrown in for good measure. While it does not look at all like the actual gaunts, it's the best representation, I feel, for the ones seen in the trailer. For now, it'll have to do till we get more time to properly build one a bit more accurately.

The Gauntlets:
IMG_4998.jpg

IMG_5005.jpg

The Chest Piece with the new 'armored' panels [again, made from PVC hard foamcard]:
IMG_4971.jpg

IMG_4972.jpg

IMG_4970.jpg

IMG_4974.jpg

All panels glued on, with original chest piece excess shown:
IMG_4982.jpg

Minus the excess:
IMG_4984.jpg

IMG_4989.jpg

With the shoulder bells:
IMG_5001.jpg

IMG_5002.jpg

These are just for fun shots....;)
IMG_5006.jpg

IMG_5008.jpg

IMG_5009.jpg

Enjoy!

Stay safe,

Tim.

I will give you credit man, this is some nice work.

by the way, which pep file did you use for your build?

Wolfshi, gracias. No pep file, this was sculpted in clay and then plaster molded. Pulled a Fiberglassed resin master, cleaned it up and molded it in Silicone.

well it looks good, i am even more impressed that you didnt use form. i think i am now confused at how you can have enough time to work on it, and where you got enough clay to build it up?

Wolfshui, actually I'm more confused on what you're tryin to say...whatever it is...the base suit was sculpted awhiles back, just before the first movie. And using castings from that mold, this War Machine was built around it. Clear enough? And as per my first post, this is a one off suit for a local Toy Store event, no need to waste money molding it when I really don't intend to sell it. Silicone isn't cheap....

Hi Hunters,

Decided to test run the LEDs and Eye Panels to see what it looked like and well here you go. The Chest LED will need to be doubled/tripled as it didn't seem bright enough. The eye panel is red but the flash from the cam washes out alot of the redness. LMK what you think.

CIMG0077.jpg

CIMG0083.jpg

CIMG0084.jpg

CIMG0085.jpg

CIMG0089.jpg

And yet another addition to think about, the ammo linker for the Minigun. It's made from cut aluminum and weighs pretty light, but with 30 pieces [there's 100 cut pieces on hand] already on, it's starting to weigh down on one side of the armor. And I need more than 30 pieces to allow it to run properly into a 'ammo' box/drum on the back. Problem is, that would mean the linker will be hanging quite a bit off the back of the armor. Your thoughts?

CIMG0090.jpg

CIMG0091.jpg

Stay safe,

Tim.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back