Iron Man 2 War Machine Replica Helmet

Jaymay023

New Hunter
So I started working on this a month or so ago.. I figured everyone and their grandmother is doing Iron Man Helmets. Don't get me wrong I have made one as well..
5211239.jpg
But when I saw the war machine helmet, its bigger, bulkier, more militaristic look I fell in love, LOL.
So I started off a Iron Man cast 'cause War Machine is basically Iron Man but bigger and bulkier. I added clay until I felt depth and proportion was correct.
rightside.jpgtop-1.jpgfront2.jpg
I smoothed the clay out using vasaline and a brush til I felt it was good enough to cast in Urethane Rubber. Look its shiney.
WMUrethane1.jpgWMUrethane2.jpg
After the first few coats I ended up using Cab-O-Sil to thicken up the rubber and then placed gauze bandages soaked in the rubber to give it a little more thickness. My final cast from this mold looks like this.
wm-first-cast2.jpgwm-firstwornhelm.jpg
I've cut out the face plate and am still working on a hinge system. This is a little different then the Iron Man Faceplate movement I think. Its the same motion, but the faceplate has to kick up a little to clear the bump on the top of the helmet. I still need to add more inside detail now that the faceplate is cut out.
openfaceplate.jpg
I tried playing with some paint last night, not too happy with the results but its looking better ever day.

Spent most of this weekend sanding, dremeling, filling and sanding some more. Here is what I got so far..
close-up_jaw.jpgtopdown.jpgback.jpg
Paint was still wet when I took the pics. After I get it all fixed and squared up, lights are going into it and I get to start working on the faceplate motorization. There are a few things I still need to fix. The vents on top need to be sanded down, I need to put in a cut out on the lower part of the jaw and another line needs to be added to the lower back of the helmet.:D

Ya I'm trying to get a full armor done before the movie as well. Yesterday I ended up pulling another helmet from my mold. The first pull off my mold ended up being caved in on one side and I had to cut and fill certain areas to fix it. The second cast I've fixed some of the issues that happened with the first cast. I'm much happier with the results this time. I'll post some pics later on today. I started in on a third helmet after I pulled the second one out, I just need to glass the third one now.

Tonight I should be starting on the armor chest piece. Ill be using heavy card stock/non corrugated cardboard (its about 1/16 of an inch, 1.5 mm for you metric fans) as the base. Ya, its kinda like pep in the fact that its paper base, but the sheets I'm starting with are Huge (4 foot by 8 foot) and I dont have to glue little pieces of paper together to make the armor^_^.

I'll post some pics of that as well when I get closer to have it done.

com'on, don't be a pep hater... lol. just kidding. awesome work!the helmet looks very good. I was never crazy about Iron Man, but with all these awesome builds... I dunno if I can resist! Great job!

Thanks,
I've decided to fix the best out of the 3 casts I did and do the fine detail work on it and make another mold from the perfected Helmet. This time the mold will consist of 3 pieces. The faceplate, the helmet and the back of the helmet.
3Helmets.jpg

Right now I've got the one on the left as a development helmet (paints, hinge work lighting ect.) the middle one is the one that is being perfected (Smoothed symmetrically correct.) and the last one is yet to be worked on.
I'm thinking about dumping some aluminum filings into the resin next time I cast something, to give it a more metallic look..
RedLenses.jpg

Ive I've got two helmets now. Origianl on the left and revision 2 on the right. Can you see the differences?
front1-1.jpg
topdown1.jpg

100_0570.jpg

Rev 2 is a bit thinner width wise, I have to tuck my ears in to get the helmet on. I think it looks more movie accurate because when it is worn its closer to my cheeks and not as wobbly on the head as the first one.
The interior detailing still needs to be done, details that will be visible when the faceplate is up and that will keep the faceplate solid when it is in the down position.
On a side note Ive got part of the layout for the upper armor finished. In the next few weeks I'll be posting pics of the armor, but once again after the Helmet is done.

Thanks! No pep, it was clay sculpted, molded and cast. I believe there is a pep out there for war machine, I've seen it either here or the 405th. Last night I worked on the "ears". The detail on the inside was kinda hard to smooth out. So I filled the circle between the inner and outer circles on the ears.. and used a hole saw and cut out the inner circle. That ended up giving it a nice sharp edge between the two circles. After I work on smoothing out the bevel on the inner circle I'll reattach it to the helmet. At this point its all about the detail, the more detail obviously the better.:D

Last night I also came up with what I believe is very good design for the face plate motorization. It consists of a rack and pinion gear set and two tracks that run down the center of the faceplate. No weird hinges on the sides and completely hidden. Since Iron Man helmets don't have the larger center bump that has to be cleared the motion to open the faceplate is different I believe then Iron Man Helmets. This set up will allow me to have everything centrally located and no need to have servos or cables that run down the back of the helmet. Less mess and fuss. More on this as its developed.

Thanks!

Jay

Last edited by a moderator:
More work has been finished on this!
100_0599.jpg
The details on the jaw line are now finished as is the inside lip that holds the faceplate
100_0596.jpg
still working on the back
100_0590.jpg
I also finished cleaning up the inside details in the ears. No pics of that yet but soon. I still need some detail sanding and to put in the cheek guards and she's done. Also note the paint, while not accurate I like the metallic look. I think it probably needs to be a little more matte or flat type of paint, but for now I'm going with this.
I just picked up 4 lbs. of silicone and am going to start a limited run on these after all the detail work is done. Anyone interested in a war machine helmet? PM me :D

On a side note started working on the armor..
100_0582.jpg

Cheers
-Jay

Last edited by a moderator:
Pic UPDATE!
Here are some pics from Friday last week. More will be coming later today.
DSCN1354.jpg

DSCN1353.jpg

DSCN1352.jpg

DSCN1350.jpg

Getting ready to mold the faceplate tonight as well as the back lower part of the helmet. I have more pics from the work I did last night that I'll post later today.

Cheers,
-Jay

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back