need expert opinions on MR Fett helmet

Guys, I'm planning on getting a MR Fett helmet to troop in until my FP comes in and I can get it painted up. I've got some leads but I wanted opinions about the "troopability" of the MR helmet from guys who are the experts here at TDH.
How is the MR to troop with? I know (at least I think I read here) that the MR paint job is off... a lot or just a little?
Thanks so much.

Heavy. Really heavy.

The paintjob in my opinion while not perfect, is pretty good. The orange-ish splatter on the RF is the only place they really cheesed out on.

I've trooped in my MR a couple of times... and i can say that while it may not be heavier than your average resin helmet it is wobbly.. at least on my head.. and if you turn your head to fast you find your self staring into the lining of the helmet.. :D

Heavy is relative. It is as heavy as you can bear. I troop with my MR helmet and Blaster. If you have a smallish head, the weight will be amplified by wobble. I have a larger head and have no wobble what so ever. You could always add a bit of padding to reduce wobble. Weight wise, it feels no different to me than wearing one of my motorcycle helmets (full face).

Cheers

Guys, thanks for the input. This is helpful.
BoobooFett I especially appreciate your take: it's so true that "heavy" is relative. As I mentioned before- after wearing my resin Java ep. II clone helmet on troops (my neck would actually be sore afterward) the MR Fett may feel like a feather. :) And I don't have a smallish head so hopefully any wobbling can be fixed by extra padding as you mentioned.
Plus I have to believe that the thrill of being Boba Fett outweighs (pardon the pun) any slight discomfort from a solid helmet. :)
Tell me please do you wear a "riot chin strap" or whatever it's called for your MR? I would imagine it cuts down on any wobble as well. Or is the riot strap thing kind of a rarity? Thanks.

I, personally, do not have a strap on my MR. But I will use one on my FettPride helmet. I'll not use a riot type strap with a chin cup. Again, going back to my 35 years of wearing a motorcycle helmet, I find the strap under the jaw far more comfortable than a chin cup.

:cheers

Maybe the one I tried was resin-rich or laid up super thick but it was heavier than any Fett helmet than I have ever tried on.
I know costuming isn't always the most comfortable and we suffer sometimes for the joy of looking cool, but I don't think
a Fett helmet should weigh almost as much as a Vader dome.

But it's your neck muscles that will decide that, not mine.

Don't forget about the smell of formaldehyde :p

I swear, my own STILL smells like whatever chemical was used in the glue for the lining. I have it in a spare room that is always closed off - every time I go in there the whole room wreaks of it (n) I can't imagine how on earth "quality assurance" or whatever other powers that be could think that it would be ok to send something like that to the public knowing full well people were going to trap themselves in it for prolonged periods of time wearing it. Someone had to have picked up on it ... surely the factory had to wreak of it too ?! I've not had my eyes water that much since I went through CS gas training :lol: Oh, and the headache --- don't get me started :angry

I know of many that had the smell when they first came out. Does anyone else still have issues with it ??

Chris

My MR ROTS Clone helmet still has a bit of residual smell from whatever glue they used for the padding. Mind you though that I've had my MR clone helmet for over 3 years now. As far as the wobbling goes on the MR Fett helmet, I bought a basic baseball helmet ($15.00) and used the padding for my Sgt. Fang. It is comfy now and the wobble is gone.

sgtfang helmet.jpg

fanghelmet.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I completely trashed my original... stripped the paint off, stripped the interior out, etc... I used it as a project base to make my RotJ bucket out of.

Got mine today and I couldn't be more excited and pleased. Like Christmas morning late 70's/early 80's!
The paint job is just amazing; and my dent paint isn't that too far off in my estimation.
And thankfully I don't detect any toxic adhesive smell on the inside.
And finally the weight is negligible compared to helmets I've worn in the past. A slight wobble as mentioned here but nothing a bit of padding can't fix.
Well, there's my review. Thanks again for all the input and opinions. :)

My MR Fett helmet is my 2nd favorite piece in my collection next to my MR ROTS Darth Vader Helmet. They're perfect for people with no artist ability at all! My paint on the dent is right on too!

OK so the cool blinking lights on my RF worked for a minute and now they don't. :( Anyone know if I can change the battery or am I just SOL? Thanks.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back