Jango RangeFinder can be moved 180 degrees!!

Ogait Nas

Active Hunter
Hello,

I was watching AOTC when I noticed a strange thing related with Jango's rangefinder...

2yv1jl2.jpg

did you know it?

Looks like it moved to this position just before he fired the rocket..
Maybe for the rocket to get the range data and explode in right moment :)

I noticed the same thing. Kind of a blow to helmet makers, as all the helmets I've seen only allow the rangefinder to flip foreward.
Kinda strange, isn't it? You'd think this position would make the rangefinder more likely to be damaged when the rocket launches.
maybe it's to make sure the rocket's direct path is clear:confused.

I've always thought that the RF was something like an additional little screen where you can see your objective when the RF was in a horizontal postion... but here we can see that it's something like an atenna that needs to be vertical to get a better range of coverage... :rolleyes

So Jango's rangefinder does move? I have the feeling it moves also just as he shoots out his dart to grab Obi-Wan, thus preventing him getting his lightsaber.

I don't know if I'd call that a full 180. Maybe 120. As you can see the rangefinder is still above the horizontal axis. What I want to know is what he uses to Spider-Man on that pylon. When you figure that one out let me know :D.

Though what difference does that make? whether CGI or real its still Jango Fett. And that who we base our costumes off.

As you wish. Some of us prefer to do an accurate Jango to the real costume not the CGI. Good luck with the flamethrower, rangefinder with real technologies, and be careful when flying with the jetpack, it could explode...

Last edited by a moderator:
As you wish. Some of us prefer to do an accurate Jango to the real costume not the CGI. Good luck with the flamethrower, rangefinder with real technologies, and be careful when flying with the jetpack, it could explode...

*wow that was kinda rude KaanE...

Thanks for sharing, I actually never noticed that!
It definetly looks like its lining up with its' target.

I have wondered about the spiderman antics as well. If there was any official explanation for that. If he can stick the the side of a wall then why did he have a hard time getting back up the side of the platform when he and Obi-Wan when overboard? In the pic above he is using his hands. When climbing up the platform, it almost looks like the gauntlets have a magnetic device that is aiding his climb. Who knows?

If it matters, in the Open Seasons comics, Jango's gloves have magnetism of some sort. Anyway, I knew about the Rangefinder moving in that scene the whole time. However, my costume is mostly based on the real one, rather than attempting to match all the CGI and practical effects wizardry. That being said, I don't fault anyone for having a moving RF. My helmet is a screen-cast though, so the RF is not designed to move at all and I didn't want to alter it.

It's just frustrating to me that whoever animated that sequence apparantly thinks the rangefinder "sees" out of the front face (when it's in the raised position), and so had it move back to keep line-of-sight on Obi-Wan... when in fact it's supposed to drop down to show what a secondary targetting system is tracking -- like the missile's onboard tracking eye, or your spaceship's sensors.

The r/f stalk housing isn't even slotted to allow it to move back past vertical.

--Jonah

I've always chocked the RF moving backwards to a CGI goof up... which can happen alot on films and TV shows. The graphics artist was probably told that it was to move so that Jango could target Obi Wan with his missile, but then was animated to move in the wrong direction. Guessing that they probably spent a ton of money to animate it already, and it was a realtively short scene, they probably decided to leave it. Only fans such as the members here at TDH would notice or really care. ;)

I've always chocked the RF moving backwards to a CGI goof up... which can happen alot on films and TV shows. The graphics artist was probably told that it was to move so that Jango could target Obi Wan with his missile, but then was animated to move in the wrong direction. Guessing that they probably spent a ton of money to animate it already, and it was a realtively short scene, they probably decided to leave it. Only fans such as the members here at TDH would notice or really care. ;)

I have to agree with this. If you have the Screen Themes image packs that include Jango Fett you will notice a ton of problems with the CGI. In one image his Range Finder is backwards (it's pointing away from his helmet), in another it's not even there. Whether it moves or not really isn't important and I don't think anyone has or will have a helmet that will allow a rangefinder to move past 90 degrees, but it's an interesting point of discussion.

As for the magnetic gloves, it's an interesting hypothesis, but there are so many problems with that. 1) He's no less that 300lbs of man and equipment that's hanging almost upside down. This would put a TON of stress on two points of contact as small as his hands. He'd need magnetism in his legs somewhere, too. I'd really love to hear what the "official" explanation is, but from all of my research I've never seen it even mentioned. Personally, my opinion is that the purpose of the Range Finder is to lock onto the target and the missile is more of a tracking missile anyway, so why would it have to be pointed at the target when it's fired? Seems kind of a waste to me. Just fire it up and have it come down on top of the target. Oh well, this is one for the continuity department to figure out, I guess.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back