Helmet experts your opinions please

skygunbro

Active Hunter
To the veteran members and fett helmet experts I wanna know what you think.I recently bought this helmet off ebay to finish off my costume. It was said to be a re-cast off a dp deluxe helmet.and judging by the pics it does appear to be.At least the one showing the painted helmets compared to each other there is definately a size diffrence but it doesnt look that way on my end noew that the actual helmet is here.When i got the helmet i compared it to my unaltered 95 don post helmet and there is really not a significant size difference. My confusion is that the back of the helmet has that same warped area just like the 95 post now am i wrong to think if this was cast off a fiberglass original then that warped area shouldnt be there right?
And the Dp deluxe helmet was originally made in fiberglass right and not plastic?
As most of you know i occasionally cast fg helmets which are modded dps so i know how the process works.
I cant imagine a helmet that originally retailed for close to 1000.00 would have a warped back panel.
And I guess for some reason i would have thought this helmet would be significantly bigger than a standard 95 post helmet.Any way check out these pics and lmk your opinions.I just wanna know if i got want i was supposed to or if i got taken.It is a nice cast and helmet is great the person did a good job but im not sure if its what he claimed it to be.
I am tall and wanted this helmet for myself to finish off my costume but this helmet really isnt much larger than my 95 post or the modded ones i make.Anyway thanks in advance for any help.-Jason P.s. Admins this is a link to an ended auction but if this isnt allowed than lmk i will upload pics to my host.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3339354748&category=790&rd=1

I own a deluxe, and it appears that the photo in the auction has the same "dremmel marks" as the deluxe. Does your helmet have "dremmel marks" over it?

The back panel of the deluxe does have some warpage.

Tyler,
I also received a DP Deluxe cast as my first 'professional' helmet. However, the ends of my T-visor section were rounded. I had to Bondo and Dremel to square them out.

Is this normal for Deluxe helmets? I notice the E-bay auction's helmet is squared, not rounded.

Is it possible that there were several 'runs', where say, the first edition had rounded edges and the later editions did not?

Things that make you go Hmmmm....

tylerdurden wrote:

I own a deluxe, and it appears that the photo in the auction has the same "dremmel marks" as the deluxe. Does your helmet have "dremmel marks" over it?

The back panel of the deluxe does have some warpage.
yes sir it does they are hard to make out but they are there i compared my helmet with an old post of yours where you pictured your deluxe helmet and everywhere that there is "damage" to your helmet mine has the same areas "damaged" as well so i guess this is the real deal.I was just confused because the pic that shows the dlxe helmet next to what the seller says is a 95-96 standard post helemt in that pic the deluxe looks signifiacntly larger but when i compare my 95 post to this new helmet the size difference isnt as dramatic as in the auction pic.
Like i said though i am in now way bashing this guys work he did and excellent job on the recast i just wanted to make sure i really got what i paid for.Thanks Tyler:)-jason

I don't think the second helmet is a DP. The rounded dome & extra height look much more like the Rubie's Jango to me. In which case, the scale would be more appropriate compared with the DP deluxe.

bigkidbiggertoys wrote:

I don't think the second helmet is a DP. The rounded dome & extra height look much more like the Rubie's Jango to me. In which case, the scale would be more appropriate compared with the DP deluxe.
I agree I think it is also the rubies jango in that pic cause you can make out the earcap which on the rubies jango is squared at the point where it meets the midpoint of the ear piece.

The ends of the DP deluxe visor area are square, and the ends of the visor area should go back further (compared to the real deal). I've seen a couple of DP deluxe recasts (same one maybe?) where the artisan tried to correct that problem and gave the ends a "rounded" appearance, which isn't accurate anyway.

But no, the deluxes, from the ones I have seen, did not have a rounded end to the T-visor.

::Edit:: Found the photo. That is my very early deluxe (#75), and a Don Post 95. I know it's a poor shot for comparisons, though. :(

deluxe_reg.jpg

Baddblood wrote:

What would you say is the finish on that finished helmet of his?
if you were asking me about the one I bought. I think it was done well.Mine i got any way has minimal work to finish it.It does have all the pre-done scuffing and scratches on it which i may bondo and sand smooth as i like to make my own "damage".But all in all I think it is a nice helmet.

I got my helmet from your seller as well. He said it is a DP Deluxe recast. I've since weathered mine a little more...
Mine measures:
28.5" circumference just above the brow
10" wide
10" front to back
9.5" tall

1.jpg

Can you post some of the other measurements from the helmet. I am trying to make one from the post Make your own bucket, but do not have anything but pictures to go by. can you provide some of the criticla deminsions?

I gave in an decided to buy one of the helmets.
How long did it take for him to ship it out to you guys? He hasn't responded to my e-mails lately and I'm begining to get a little concerned.

I ordered this same helmet when it was alittle more in price. I too noticed that the size difference between the deluxe and the regular was really not that noticeable. The obvious difference was all the "Damage" the Deluxe/recast had and the more rounded top. In my opinion I expected it to have more of a flare and I agree the back seems warped. I was not too pleased with the RF that came with it. It was full of pits. The T-Visor has to also be shaped by you. The shipping time was about two weeks. He seems to make the helmets after he has the order. So I am sure that gives some time for shipping. I like the helmet better than my old DP as it is FG and just looks better.

pastafett wrote:

Can you post some of the other measurements from the helmet. I am trying to make one from the post Make your own bucket, but do not have anything but pictures to go by. can you provide some of the criticla deminsions?

I'll be posting measurements of the whole helmet as soon as I come back from Dragon*Con next week. Sorry, but I have a lot more to worry about right now, and I'm not even talking about my wife yet...!

Robert

This thread is more than 20 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back