Help me Fetts of the world, you're my only hope

jcfromnh

New Hunter
So this is my first time on here and im really hoping someone will be my obi-wan and guide me through making a really great Fett costume. I had considered picking up the "supreme" fett and making extensive modifications to make it worthy of C5, but after reading the thread and seeing the pics i'm glad i didnt order it. So who wants to take me under their wing and help me out?-jc

Thanks for your time and contact me personally at djin628@aol.com if you have any advice for me

I'll be at C5 with Road Squadron with my Slave-1 car

Last edited by a moderator:
As others have said,
You can have two of the following.
1.fast.
2.Cheap.
3Good.

you can only have two, fast and cheap it wont be good.
good and cheap it wont be fast.
fast and good it wont be cheap.
For good expect about $3600, i am around $3800 right now and doing minor mods to improve the costume.

Good starting places, ladysewforus, Bobamaker, Fettpride and others on this site.

Goodluck on your costume and have patients, heh heh you will need it.

If your not dead set on Fett, but want to do a close image of him, just go with your version of a Mandalorian! Head over to the Mando Mercs. We are able to pump out really nice full costumes in a varying price range. I think I made me AND my girlfriend's complete costumes for less than $200 total.

You can get as expensive as you want, but since you are not worried with screen accuracy (since we do no represent screened characters), you can scratch build most, if not all componets, including the helmet.

It's entirely possible (and done numerous times) to literally print out templates found here on TDH onto cardstock, cut & glue them properly & then fiberglass the parts, giving you a complete set of hard parts including the helmet for less than $10
After that, you can go to Goodwill, Army surplus or a similar store and pick up coveralls (or military style khakis & shirt). Same goes for a belt & perhaps pouches and maybe boots too. If not, the pouches can be made with some fake leather from a fabric store.

After that, just paints really. If you do model kits or know someone who does, use that. Any spray paint can work. That's the basis for a mostly complete suit for well under $50. Odds & ends can be added on to make your suit look more complex and realistic.

man, really your best bet is just choose which version of Fett you wanna do, then search the boards extensively. There is so much information on these boards, most people dont realize its right in there hands in the form of a search button.

So this is my first time on here and im really hoping someone will be my obi-wan and guide me through making a really great Fett costume. I had considered picking up the "supreme" fett and making extensive modifications to make it worthy of C5, but after reading the thread and seeing the pics i'm glad i didnt order it. So who wants to take me under their wing and help me out?-jc
[snip]

You can also tried contacting your 501st members or the CO in the area.
They may even got a bounty hunter member already.

Beside that, you need to really read the board here. There are a lot of good stuff and most stuff has been discussed many times.

Of course we will help you if you got questions :)

I love ESB.... but i've been working on my costume here and there for 8 years now. I've replaced everything at least once in the process. I actually started with the hopes of doing jango, then it was rotj, and then finally a solid ESB set up. Now it's perfecting...

but it's a lot of time and money if you want to look good.

All depends on your budget & skills. If you're good at building and painting, there are several components that you can buy in kit form and save alot of cash. Pretty much every hard piece is offered in kit form. Unless you have a sewing machine, the soft parts will need to be ordered.

As long as you do a search for a specific product before buying it, you'll always be able to make a good decision (like not buying the Rubies).

Have a look around and find the components that match your budget and accuracy level you want.

Forgot the first step. You gotta pick a version of Fett. I would say ROTJ or ROTJ SE can be cheaper. For ESB you have to source a few more components. Once the gallery is back up, you'll be able to look at that and compare all the differences.

As long as you do a search for a specific product before buying it, you'll always be able to make a good decision (like not buying the Rubies).

I agree. I don't think you need a guide.

I'm sure you have a pretty good idea of all the components. Just put it together one piece at a time, and just ask specific questions when you're ready to move on to the next piece if you need to.

If money is no object and you have no skills yourself, you could probably get everything in a finished state from Boba Maker.

If you have some skills and enjoy putting stuff together, Boba Maker and Fett Pride are both great resources for armor in kit form.

For helmets, there are an unbelievable number of options, from getting one of Fett Pride's new helmets, a Boba Maker, modifying an MR (or keeping it unmodified), getting a Mystery helmet, or picking up another member's completed helmet from the Cargo Hold when they decide it's time for them to upgrade.

For the jetpack, again, lots of options depending on your desire for accuracy, the best price, etc.

The Cargo Hold is full of components for sale, either offerings from different makers, or again second hand stuff when someone decides they want to upgrade or they want switch from one movie version to another.

Basically, I think the purpose of this board is to meet everyone's needs as a one stop resource spot. Let the board as a whole be your Obi wan guide.

I agree, it really depends on your skill level.
If your good at building, fabricating, painting, and troubleshooting and you enjoy spending alot of time working with your hands to build something cool, you probably want to build it yourself. (If you opt for this choice, let me tell you that there isn't a single part of the costume that the good people at TDH can't instruct or advise you on.:D)

On the other hand, if you lack the particular skills and patience essential when making your own costume, you might want to consider biting the bullet and buying the premade costume.

as far as budget, either way your gonna end up spending quite a wad. however, if you opt to build your own fett, you can put in as much extra strength and support as you feel necessary. whereas with the premade costume, some parts will be slightly more fragile than you may like. of course you can reinforce these parts yourself, but even then, I feel you'll have a hard time reaching the level of durability of a homemade costume.

but honestly, both are viable options for getting a really awesome costume.

Forgot the first step. You gotta pick a version of Fett. I would say ROTJ or ROTJ SE can be cheaper. For ESB you have to source a few more components. Once the gallery is back up, you'll be able to look at that and compare all the differences.

And what about the Albino / super trooper, PP1, PP2, PP3? :)

You're welcome to check out my WIP thread. I wouldnt say its biblical, but will give you a good idea of builders and maybe even a little direction. :)

My Fett decisions were in no small part due to the advice of alot of good Fett-brethren on here. A couple have even posted in this very thread. ;)

Money isn't really a big issue if im picking up a piece or two at a time. I've already dropped about $1000 on my Slave-I car for Road Squadron. The only time restraint I have is that I would like it to be ready for CV. I took a look on 501st but apparently there is just 1 garrison for 6 states(New England) I'm not really looking for screen accurate but the closer the better. I kinda want my Fett to have a roughed up lived in look to it. Alot of stuff I've seen looks too clean. I dont mind painting stuff or piecing together kit. As long as I have references or instructions. Soft goods I wont be able to make myself but I can make alterations. Anyway I'm so glad so many of you have taken the time to write on my thread. If anyone can point me in the best direction for a jumpsuit and vest that would be greatly appriciated. thanks-jc

You can search for my WIP thread. I made my first set out of trash cans. If you want something 100% screen accurate, go ahead and buy a $200 flightsuit from one of the makers here on the forums. They are really worth it if you want total accuracy. I myself have no problem being 90% accurate and buying my flightsuit from online or a surplus store for $20 bucks. Getting your stuff done by CV will be no problem, but if I were you, I would buy a raw helmet here first and work from there.

I mean feel free to hand bobamaker a grand or even a hundred bucks for a nice sintra set to someone on Ebay, but personally the biggest thrill for me at conventions isn't having people take pictures with me, it's when then ask where I bought the suit and I can tell them in all honesty that I handmade the costume.

And what about the Albino / super trooper, PP1, PP2, PP3? :)

Oh sure, didn't mean to leave those options out.

I really just started myself but I have all my pieces in hand or ordered for my ESB suit. I did so much research on this board that I may have read just about every thread on here. haha. With that, here's some of the components and makers I've chosen for my stuff.

For soft parts on my ESB I chose Bobamaker but I now own a Ladysewforus ROTJ Jumpsuit and it's very nice. Don't think you can really go wrong between the two of them. I really dig Woodman's Wookie braids. Not sure if Fettdad has stopped production on his Jetpack harnesses yet but you should try to get one.

For armor parts I think it's really a toss up between Fettpride and Bobamaker. The parts I have from both are really nice pieces. But it's totally doable with the right skills to make your own from the templates. If I had the time, I'd definitely be going that route. (Though I'd still have to find a painter cause I'm terrible) Which is not a problem if you're the same way, there's lots of commission painters here.

My BFUK Jetpack is absolutely killer but I've not seen anyone else's in person for comparison.

Boots aren't easy to source right now. The ones I've seen that were custom made recently have been the best I've seen around. I own Evolution Toys boots and they would be fine for your suit's goal.

If money is no issue, I'd steer clear of the trash can and / or Sentra route. Yes, a completed costume is going to be impressive, no matter what, but there is a lot of subtle contour and nuances in the curves and damage on the armor that has already been perfected by some great artisans out there. The trash can armor lacks a certain amount of depth also. You can definitely tell the difference when you have two costumes side by side.

I have seen some great scratch-built helmets made from nothing but cardboard and Bondo and I've been blown away. But at the same time, I'm thinking the amount of time involved that it would take me to achieve similar results, I would be better off using that time to obtain a second job flipping burgers for minimum wage if I couldn't afford to just get a nice fiberglass bucket with a more direct lineage to the actual helmet rather than my interpretation.

Different people have different objectives in mind when building their costume. Some go for uber accuracy, some want to see just how far they can stretch their budget and still get a decent costume, some like the challenge of scratch building as much as possible, and some (if not most) are somewhere in between any of the previous.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back