Well, I suppose now it's official

So, today I took the Christmas money I got from my wife's grandma, and I bought the first thing that's exclusively for my custom Mando. A pair of Nerf Mavericks.

Of course, my current beat up work boots are going to become my Mando boots, and I've got old bits and pieces of things I'm gonna incorporate into my armor, but the Mavericks are the first thing that I've picked up that is solely for my Mando.

Sat down as soon as I got to work and took them apart, and did the "Russian Roulette" modification on both of them. Now the barrels/chambers roll out much further than they did originally.

I'm planning on snagging some blood draw tubes from work, to see if I can't incorporate them into my gauntlets. I'm thinking I'll fill them with some blue-ish liquid and call it Bacta (since I'm gonna be a medic). And just imagine how excited I was to find out that they almost slide into the barrel chambers.

Next month, hopefully, I'll start my official build thread, but I'm so excited I couldn't wait to share.

Keep it up!, interesting the medic theme you are planning
Nice to see more people from Houston
Best regards

Absolutely, M.P.

Soon as we rediscover the digital camera at the house, that is. We think Christmas ate it...

While I'm at it, I'm trying to come up with a personal creed for my Medic, and would love some input. I was thinking about something along the lines of "Bringing the dead back to the living.". Not so much bringing them back to life, but to their family.

The closest I can come up with in Mando'a is "Yaim'ol te taab'echaj'la at te oya'la.", which translates as "Return(ing) the deceased to the living."

I could also do "Jorir te taab'echaj'la at te oya'la.", which translates as "Carry(ing) the deceased to the living.".

I can't decide which one I like better. I know Mando'a is a very fluid language, and sometimes what rolls off the tongue better is what's said, rather than what's accurate or gramatically correct, and so the second one would be better for that. Unfortunately for me, I'm an English Major, and so accuracy in my translations and being grammatically correct is pretty much encoded into my DNA.

So what do yall think?

"Yaim'ol te taab'echaj'la at te oya'la."
ya-EEM-ol tee tab-ee-CHAJ-la tee oh-YA-lah

OR

"Jorir te taab'echaj'la at te oya'la."
jor-EER tee tab-ee-CHAJ-la tee oy-YA-lah

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, Christmas un-ate the camera, but the USB uploading cord is evidently still being digested.

I sanded, damaged, and weathered one of the Mavericks. Spray painted it with cheap Walmart flat black primer. Then dry brushed with Krylon metallic silver paint for weathering. Not looking too bad at all.

I'm waiting to do the second one so that I can do progress pics once we find the camera cord. Hopefully it won't be too long.

EDIT: Found the cord, here's the pics. Sorry for the blur. I'll take better ones tomorrow in the daylight.

First pic is the still unpainted Maverick. I've sanded the Nerf logo off the slide, and the N-Strike logo off of the...well, the front of the frame. Next two pictures are close ups of those.

The next pictures are various angles, obviously. Last one is a comparison from where I started to where I am. All told it took about an hour.

005.JPG

007.JPG

008.JPG

010.JPG

011.JPG

012.JPG

013.JPG

014.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I got the other Maverick painted (the day after I loaded the pictures), though I ran out of black primer, so there's s nice shiny band on the front of the barrel. Dang. Anyway...

Also mocked up a holster for them out of carboard and tape. Gonna see about going to the fabric shop some time this weekend to see if I can snag some leather or something similar.

Soon as I get the W-2's in, this armor build can start in earnest. Ugh. Waiting's always the hardest part.

I kinda like the motto someone else had, something along the lines of:

I'll stop you from dying, the rest's up to you!

Which kinda plays on the practicality of mandos :)

I like the guns but I'm wondering if there is anyway you can make them a little more star warsy? Like the classic is sticking a scope on the side, anything to make it less of a Nerf gun and more of your own Starwars gun? :)

Oh absolutely. I'm gonna...well, I'll just throw up a pic. Hang on a sec....Okay.

The top gun is based on a Nerf Maverick. I'm gonna eliminate the rotating barrel and the slide, and replace the slide with a bolt. Throw a magazine up in front of the trigger guard, and re-work the front end of the gun to have a larger barrel.

The bottom gun is based on a Colt Navy 1861 replica (like the one I sold a month ago, dang!). I'm gonna use the "bondo a cheap Walmart Lightsaber on the front" method to alter it, plus paint and weathering. I might have to settle for a regular revolver for this one, though, as I can't remember where I got the old 1861 for $30. Everything else I find is up towards $70-$100, and for a scrap part for a modded gun, that's too darn much.

Firearm Concepts.jpg

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back