Got plastic for armor. Name brand is not Sintra

OK, so after reading for hours and hours here I decided I wanted to scratch my armor. So I called a plastic supplier in town, they supply my machinist with plastic as well as plastic for General Mills. On the phone the worker told me that they carried the plastic I was probably looking for, but not that brand (Sintra). Everything I have read here, the poster speaks as if Sintra is a type of plastic. They told me the name of the stuff I bought but I can't recall it. It started with a C. I will get that information after the holidays when they are open again. If they are correct, then it is just like the differance between Acetol and Delrin. Delrin is a brand. The reason I am posting this is to ask the experianced plastic workers here if what I got is the right thing to use for armor. I got a 4' X 4' piece, it's 1/8" thick, they had white but I chose gray. It was advertised on their wall as "heat forming" or something like that. Now what is throwing me off is that it is a tiny bit flexable at room temp. It is a very large sheet right now, so that is one reason its being so flimsy. So, does the real Sintra at 1/8" thick have a natural ability to flex a bit, or is it pretty solid and sturdy, no bending? Any help on this is very appreciated, I really want to start on my armor, but I don't want to start with this stuff if it isn't what I should be using. Do your sintra armor pieces have a slight ability to bend a little? Thanks guys :)

Yes, depending on the thickness of the material, sintra is quite flexible. This helps it from cracking or becoming too brittle. After it is formed the material normally firms up some but not totally, but this is desired for my purposes. You most likely have something that will work just fine. I'm in the process of forming my first set of armor so most of this info is based on what I have read. Don't take it for fact. :D Good luck with your build!

Thank you for your response apolifka :) I think I will start mine tonight. I'm excited. Yeah, this seems like it should be the right stuff for the job, and after thinking about it, a little flex may be good. In my mind I thought about using the templates on some thin aluminum and laminating the aluminum over the plastic parts after both were shaped. I may try that out for fun. Thanks again, and good luck on your build as well man! Post pics when you get some progress. I'm going to scratch build as much as I can, and I am keeping a price log to see how much cheaper I can keep it than some other methods of gathering goods for the outfit :) So far, the 4'X8' plastic sheet cost me $12 Not bad! Will produce full armor and plenty of extra material for scratch building pieces on my JP and gaunts. Saw a modded/painted rubbies jango helm done ESB Fett style, looked siiiiiick, found the bucket for less than $40 shipped. I haven't decided on this for sure or not... I may go with one of the new FPHs... quite a differance in price but I am worried the Rubbies wont have much room for electronics... does anyone know?

sintra is a brand name for closed cell pvc plastic. a large sheet will have plenty of flex and wobble, that's just the way gravity affects it. once you start cutting it up into smaller pieces and forming it you will find that it becomes much more stable.

sintra is a brand name for closed cell pvc plastic. a large sheet will have plenty of flex and wobble, that's just the way gravity affects it. once you start cutting it up into smaller pieces and forming it you will find that it becomes much more stable.

SN is right, it is wobbly at first, especially when large, but small pieces are much sturdier. :D

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back