Almost there!! (Solstice)

superjedi

Sr Hunter
Greetings intrepid TDHers,
December 21st marks the Winter Solstice, the "shortest" day of the year. I for one am glad. I hate the fact that it gets dark so early in winter. I go to work when it's still dark, and by the time I come home. . . yup, dark again. :(
I'm saving up to move to a solar system where there's a habitable planet with a perfectly circular orbit so I don't have to deal with this anymore. Darn pesky elliptical orbits!

To give a bit of scientific history, let us examine the word solstice. It comes from two root words; sol--the Latin word for our star, and stice--an ancient Phoenician word meaning "to meander about aimlessly." This proves conclusively that not only were the ancient Phoenicians shiftless layabouts who didn't even care enough about their culture to ensure its survival (I mean, honestly, have any of you ever met a modern Phoenician? And no. . . people from Phoenix don't count), but that indeed, I haven't the slightest idea what the word solstice actually means.
This does not however preclude me from posting about it.

That's one of the greatest things about the internet, isn't it? That anyone at any time, for practically any reason at all, can post some bit of silliness for anyone else in the world (except Phoenicians) to read and enjoy! :D

Sorry, just in a bit of a silly mood tonight.

If anyone actually cares enough to look up the meaning of the word solstice, please post here! I'm actually too lazy to do it myself.

Peace out, Phoenicians! :lol: :cheers

The name is derived from the Latin sol (sun) and sistere (to stand still), because at the solstices, the Sun stands still in declination; that is, the apparent movement of the Sun's path north or south comes to a stop before reversing direction.

i'll make sure i give you all a gift this year for my birthday. december 22nd, you can all start having longer days.

This proves conclusively that not only were the ancient Phoenicians shiftless layabouts who didn't even care enough about their culture to ensure its survival (I mean, honestly, have any of you ever met a modern Phoenician? And no. . . people from Phoenix don't count)

The descendants of the Phoenecians live in modern day Lebanon... they also colonized north Africa, Italy, Spain and other areas around the Mediterreanean Sea... so they never really left us... they have become part of those societies today...

... sorry... I'm into history... I'll move along now... :)

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back