Question About Shaping

Harruka

New Hunter
I've got a set of mando plates I've made out of a trash can.
The only problem is that I want a more female look for them and I have no idea how to accomplish that.

The tools I have to work on this would be a hair dryer, or a shrink wrap gun.
Please tell me if that seems like a recipe for disaster or if you've got any tips or better ideas to shape it.
Thanks.

Are you talking about modifying the chest plates for a more "female fit"? :p
If so and you've already cut the overall shape of them you might not have much left by the time you're done shaping them over something. It might be better to take a larger piece of trash can plastic and make your custom fit first. Then trace out and trim the edges to the chest plate pattern.

You need room for the boobs to go, so you'll need a lot more than the basic plate shape, you may also need a mannequin to your breast size to shape the plates around as they get hot if you're using a hair dryer.

Hot plastic and boob don't mix... well, unless that's your thing and then that would be a COMPLETELY different website!

XD The mannequin is the better idea I'm sure.

So I can bend the plastic with the hair dryer? I just need to make new chest plates. I can do that. ^^

If I'm going to use a propane torch I may need to call in a friend for help. Not only am I to broke to rent one, but I wouldn't be to confident in my own abilities any way. XD

What about boiling water ?
I just shaped blasters impacts on my sintra plates, simply by pouring boiling water locally on the sintra and pressing a marble (is that the correct word for kid's little glass balls ?) until the shape is correct.

"Boobs shaping" could use the same technique...

Something else you can try that doesn't involve using a whole lot of heat is putting darts in your armor.

Basically, you cut a long thin triangle in either the inner or outer side of the chest plate then bend the ends together. Since your using a trash can, PVC epoxy would work well to hold them together. That creates a nice cop effect and only requires the piece be heated enough to get those two ends together. Below are some pics from one of our ladie's armor over at Mercs.

IMG_0096.jpg

IMG_2488.jpg

IMG_2489.jpg

Hope this helps.

Something else you can try that doesn't involve using a whole lot of heat is putting darts in your armor.

Basically, you cut a long thin triangle in either the inner or outer side of the chest plate then bend the ends together. Since your using a trash can, PVC epoxy would work well to hold them together. That creates a nice cop effect and only requires the piece be heated enough to get those two ends together. Below are some pics from one of our ladie's armor over at Mercs.

What's the best tool for heating to bend them that little bit?

Last edited by a moderator:
I use a heat gun and ice water... heat it, bend it then dunk it in the ice water to keep its shape. BTW... don't u have a dev art account by the same name?

he he no prob, and I like ur artwork btw... I saw ur original armor on devart and it looks pretty good as is... are you just wanting more feminine plates?

I prefer a more violent Flame so I wrap it in aluminum foil but on my insulated gloves and Use the propane torch, I know im crazy, I am also a pyromaniac, Just like my custom

Thanks, it may take a while for me to post any updates, I'm moving to spain for school so I won't have my armor with me there.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back