BBF Weathering Flight Suit...New Method ???

BooBoo Fett

Active Hunter
Hey Brothers !

Finally started weathering my flight suit. Have poked around here looking at popular methods. I came up with something I haven't seen here yet. Not really sure if this is actually a new process, but here it goes.

Finishing up the last belt on my Ammo Belt run (see: http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/showthread.php?t=35094), I had some unused dye. A light come on in my head. I poured the dye into a clean spray bottle, added some hot water and mixed it up. Then I started spraying. I did a light coat on strategic areas and threw it in the dryer. I repeated the process several times, resulting in what you see in the photos below.

I also took a used coffee filter (with grounds) out of the maker, balled it up and rubbed along seam lines and edges. Again, tossing the suit in the dyer between applications.

Will do a bit more later. Meanwhile what do you think? I am also attaching the photo I am using for reference.

By the way, the suit's not really blue. Bad lighting :)

Cheers everybody !!!

BBF

PIC_0300.JPG

PIC_0302.JPG

PIC_0303.JPG

PIC_0304.JPG

PIC_0305.JPG

Jabba_s Palace_01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent.

Haven't weathered mine yet but had also planned on using coffee grounds along with some other techniques.

One thing that worked well on my last jumpsuit was taking various shades of brown and tan chalk pastels and sanding them to make a dust. With a damp cloth, you can pat and smear the dust (now kind of like a mud with the dampness added to it) wherever you like. And if you get it too heavy in one area, with a clean damp cloth, you can sponge it off. Not really permanent, but works well for a mannequin display.

I also plan to starch my suit, wad it up for permanent wrinkles, unfold it and hang it in a large window for a couple of days to allow the sun to naturally fade the gray a bit for that ROTJ look.

Hey Brothers !

Finally started weathering my flight suit. Have poked around here looking at popular methods. I came up with something I haven't seen here yet. Not really sure if this is actually a new process, but here it goes.

Finishing up the last belt on my Ammo Belt run (see: FS: SIGN UP: BBF's LEATHER AMMO BELTS - ESB / ROTJ / SE: RUN COMPLETED), I had some unused dye. A light come on in my head. I poured the dye into a clean spray bottle, added some hot water and mixed it up. Then I started spraying. I did a light coat on strategic areas and threw it in the dryer. I repeated the process several times, resulting in what you see in the photos below.

I also took a used coffee filter (with grounds) out of the maker, balled it up and rubbed along seam lines and edges. Again, tossing the suit in the dyer between applications.

Will do a bit more later. Meanwhile what do you think? I am also attaching the photo I am using for reference.

By the way, the suit's not really blue. Bad lighting :)

Cheers everybody !!!

BBF

Just what I was looking for time to make the coffee !! thanks again brother ~!! great work !

I've doing this technique for a while now. But I use acrylic paints in a waterbottle. The key is that cloth is wet and the acrylic is able to seep in to the material, where as whey sprayed with out being wet, the paint sits only in the outside layer.

It looks very nice. I would try to get some different shades as well. specially around the ankles.

Great job!

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back