Sticky Request

jonmcclay

Active Hunter
You know what would make complete sense? I think we should have a sticky thread in the armor section that has a list of costume armor pieces jango and boba (ESB/ROTJ) and the makers that sell the pieces CURRENTLY.

As I search around I find it incredibly frustrating when I find the piece I want only to discover the thread is 2 years old and the person posting them no longer makes the item.

I'm also willing to bet that these sellers would appreciate NOT having people like me messaging them years after they did one run of something to see if they still are.

What do you guys think? Does this thread ALREADY exist and I just didn't "search" hard enough?

this will never happen because makers could quickly be hit with cease and desist orders from LFL if they push the envelope to much. Uncle George kind of gives us a wide birth because LFL likes what we do but at any time if someone gets on the wrong side they could be hit hard. Everything has to stay underground to a degree.

this will never happen because makers could quickly be hit with cease and desist orders from LFL if they push the envelope to much. Uncle George kind of gives us a wide birth because LFL likes what we do but at any time if someone gets on the wrong side they could be hit hard. Everything has to stay underground to a degree.

I sincerely doubt this. LFL could easily drop the hammer on these forums when there is a "Run" of something. All I am talking about is a thread that lists who is currently working on specific things. A quick search on forums reveals who is doing said work and LFL could easily message them. Have you personally heard the hammer fall on this?

This post sounds like fear mongering that is preventing better communication.

Forum searches on this forum are painful because the threads can be SO old.

If I made chest plates, I really wouldn't want to be at the top of the list and have people messaging me . . .

Potential buyer: "Wow, the pics of your armor looks really great. Can you tell me how this attaches to the vest if I buy this.?

Seller: "Sure. Check out the tutorial on TDH."

Potential Buyer: "Uh-huh. I'm not finding that. Could you send me a link?"

Seller (sighing): "Yes, here it is . . . http:// . . . "

Potential Buyer: "Fantastic. And the painting . . . what colors should I use for the green if I buy your armor. Can I get something at Walmart, or there is a special kinda paint?"

Seller (sighing even more loudly): "There is a lot of info on all your questions on TDH, you just have to look a little."

Potential Buyer: "Okay, I found some of the info. Thanks a lot for helping me out there. I'm on the fence about the price for your armor, but I'll definitely get back with you if I decide not to make some of my own out of styrene."

:)

Since this whole site revolves around costume information, are we going to make everything a stick? Doubtful. And also, there are so many elements to the outfit.

Could be way off. Maybe we'll hear from some sellers.

this has been discussed before, and that reason is 100% correct. no-one wants to be on the "i sell unlicensed replicas" list.

lfl lets us all play in their sandbox, but they HAVE done cease and desist letters to people who flaunt it. and yes, i have personally seen people get said letters.

Yup! Exactly right. I know somebody who makes SW props and he was asked to "retire" by Uncle George and company.

I enjoy running through the SO old threads. Sometimes I find something that I missed before that sparks a new creative thought on how to make something or modify a part myself. Worst case scenario head down to the Cargo Hold and create a WTB thread. If someone is doing a run that you missed, has the part or even thinks they know someone who has said part you will probably be informed of who, what, when and/or where to get it. Everyone I've had any contact with here at TDH has always been more than eager to help out in any way they possibly can.

So I don't think anyone's attempting to monger any fear or hinder any communication.

this has been discussed before, and that reason is 100% correct. no-one wants to be on the "i sell unlicensed replicas" list.

lfl lets us all play in their sandbox, but they HAVE done cease and desist letters to people who flaunt it. and yes, i have personally seen people get said letters.

I'm not saying you are wrong but there are an ocean of websites like tk409.com that has links to people who sell costume parts and there are plenty of other websites that list the same resources.

I can see that if someone is selling ESB blasters at the same time MasterReplicas had them in production or was selling them people getting a letter to not compete with an officially licensed item.

I just don't know why it works when local sites have links to the builders and tdh can't.

I got the idea for a thread like this from my local 501st Garrison's forum. Here is an example of a thread from there about clones:

Perhaps this works better when it is not searchable on google and is a private forum. Our local GML suggested that it may keep it safer if you only use the abbreviation's of people's usernames so that you do have to do a search.

Clone.jpg

I just don't know why it works when local sites have links to the builders and tdh can't.

the difference is that those people are choosing to put themselves at risk, and themselves alone if tk 409 wants to sell boba parts, that's his call, and he has no-one to blame but himself if someone complains.

tdh chooses not to endanger itself or its members by getting involved in dealer listings, reviews, ratings, etc... that's been discussed in all sorts of ways and the admin staff has been pretty clear on the fact that they have no plans to do any sort of vendor listings.

What about if someone does an extensive list like this and then just PM's it to me?

Seriously, I do understand why this idea isn't going to fly. But...it is a little more difficult to ascertain who to contact for what part around here than when I was trying to get my TK together. I am currently in the process of figuring out exactly who makes what and whose I want - and man, such a list would be awesome right about now.

this is why you have to search through the forums a bit to find things. Right off the top of my head I can think of at least 5 helmet makers, 3 people that produce armor, 3 that do gauntlets, and 2 that do jetpacks. 3 makers for flightsuits and several for vests. I've seen at least 4 different types of jetpack harness. 2 belt makers. Other parts kind of come and go randomly and you have to catch them at the right time. It has taken me since 2003 when I joined the boards to try to get my suit done and I"m still not through with the upgrades!

With so many makers of similar parts you have to figure out who's you think is the most accurate or fits you best, what type of materials you want (metal, fiberglass, styrene) etc. It's not an easy decision.

Huge thanks to FettDad, who reached out and hooked me up with a nice list and synopsis of some of the awesome pieces that are made by members around here!

WickedBeard, we have some business to do.....

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back