Re-attaching boot spikes, need help with attaching aluminium!

Lisa

Jr Hunter
I had to mod my boot spikes to a smaller size, and to do that I had to dremel the screw heads off in order to get the spikes off. Any ideas on how to attach them again? I have seen a few Bobas with missing spikes, so I guess they fall off easily when you accidentally kick something, so I want to fasten them really good. :)

IMG_2344.jpg

One modded, one not.

IMG_2403.jpg

Both modded.

IMG_2406.jpg

This is what I need to fasten again. ;)

Thanks for any advice!

Could you not have used a counter sink tool on the dremel to make a counter sunk hole on the 'rear-side' of the Ali plate and then changed the screws for the counter sunk type... that way they would still be attached but the head sits flush with the plate? (y)

Could you not have used a counter sink tool on the dremel to make a counter sunk hole on the 'rear-side' of the Ali plate and then changed the screws for the counter sunk type... that way they would still be attached but the head sits flush with the plate? (y)

If you read my post, you'll see that the screw heads aren't the problem at all. ;)

I had to dremel them off to get the spikes off because it was impossible to unscrew them. That left me with some damaged screws I can't get out, and a big glueing issue. ;)

Sorry I'm lost? why did you need to remove the screws?
I assumed the toe spikes were not sitting correctly to the boot hence the removal of the screw head?

So, you are saying that your spikes have headless screws in them that you can not remove? Put the spike in a vise and cut the screw flush with the rear of the spike using a dremmel or grinder. Then, use a center punch to pop a divot in the center of what use to be the screw. Using a very small drill but suitable for metal, drill a small hole in the center of the lodged screw. Repeat with a slightly larger bit. Ideally you should be at the threads of the screw or just beyond. Reattach metal plate with self tapping screws slightly larger than the hole you made in the spike. At least, that's what I would do if you can't get a hold of the screw any other way, like say with needle nose pliers.

Sorry I'm lost? why did you need to remove the screws?
I assumed the toe spikes were not sitting correctly to the boot hence the removal of the screw head?

They were just too big, see the first picture. I shortened them a lot, and therefore needed to move the spike. Small feet, you know! :D

So, you are saying that your spikes have headless screws in them that you can not remove? Put the spike in a vise and cut the screw flush with the rear of the spike using a dremmel or grinder. Then, use a center punch to pop a divot in the center of what use to be the screw. Using a very small drill but suitable for metal, drill a small hole in the center of the lodged screw. Repeat with a slightly larger bit. Ideally you should be at the threads of the screw or just beyond. Reattach metal plate with self tapping screws slightly larger than the hole you made in the spike. At least, that's what I would do if you can't get a hold of the screw any other way, like say with needle nose pliers.

Thanks! I have bought some flexible metal glue and will check out what it does, but if (or when) it fails, I'll do your method. :D

You'd think English was my second language from reading my post. I had the whole thing typed out and accidentally hit the browser's back button erasing all my text. When I came back to this thread I just hammered out the instructions as fast as I could. If you need me to go into more detail just let me know. You seem like you have a handle on it though.

You'd think English was my second language from reading my post. I had the whole thing typed out and accidentally hit the browser's back button erasing all my text. When I came back to this thread I just hammered out the instructions as fast as I could. If you need me to go into more detail just let me know. You seem like you have a handle on it though.

Hey, English IS my second language! :lol:

I think I got what you ment, though. :D

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back