Superjedi's Pre-Pro 1 "Eyes" helmet

Thanks again!

UPDATE: Nov 21st

Well, this will about do it for all the "clear" reference for the dome. :( After this it will be guesswork and lots of sketching.
I began with a small damage area on the crown. Still just using the SP Lark and Bright Silver.

IMG_2143.JPG

That was pretty quick, so I moved on to the area above the left ear. There's one great reference shot of this area so the positioning wasn't too difficult to do.

IMG_2145.JPG

The reference pic shows this area after the helmet had been redone from the "Eyes" to the "Ears" version, so kill stripes were added, but it's interesting to see that the stripes were painted on to mesh with the existing damage. Here's a slightly closer view.

IMG_2146.JPG

A bit more work on the dome, then it's on to the mandibles and "hat band." :)
I'm still working up my courage to paint the Eyes! :wacko

Last edited by a moderator:
UPDATE: Nov 22nd

Whew! This was pretty nerve-wracking. . . but the helmet has eyes!!

IMG_2147.JPG

This took a while to do. I was really careful, double checking measurements and trying not to breathe too hard while painting. :lol:
I used Floquil Grimy Black to paint them on using a template found here on TDH a while back. It gave several versions of the eyes, and I picked the one I felt most closely matched the reference pics.

IMG_2148.JPG

I also began some of the small chips on the upper band of the mandible area. Still using the same gray/silver as on the dome, along with a custom color based on PRR Maroon. I added some BAR Blue and PRR Bruns. Green to give it a deeper tone.

IMG_2150.JPG

I can't shake the feeling that this helmet is staring at me. . . :eek:

IMG_2147.JPG

IMG_2148.JPG

IMG_2150.JPG

Me too.... Its saying, come find me, take me to your home, together we will rule them alllllll. Muwahaaha.

Bro, your helmet, it is nefarious. LOL

Thanks again, all. This is certainly a challenging paint up!

Now, a question for people with (hopefully) better eyesight than me.
This helmet which us detail-obsessed nutjobs commonly call the Pre-Pro version 1 was itself changed early in the production process. The version I'm painting, strictly because of personal preference, is the one we call the "Eyes" version. Of course, somewhere along the line in the process the "Eyes" were changed to "Ears," with the Eyes being erased (by subtle weathering) and replaced by other markings higher on the dome.
From the precious little available reference that exists on this helmet, every other detail appearing on both the Eyes and Ears version seems to be identical. Which leads me to my question.
The Ears version has an obvious and well documented gouge on the upper left part of the dome. There are 2 good quality reference pics that show this feature. Here's what I mean.

file000.jpg

On the Eyes version, there are no clear shots depicting this feature. There is one shot, taken in an outdoor setting where this angle of the helmet is visible, but the details are obscured by a reflection. Here's a portion of that shot.

pp1_eyescrop.jpg

My question is, if all other damage remained the same between the 2 versions of the PP1, would it logically follow that the long gouge was there the whole time? I originally didn't think so, but after studying the pics, I think it must have been. In the shot above, there certainly seems to be something within that reflection, but it's difficult to make out. Some blurry outlines seem to follow the silver part of the damage around that long gouge.
I'd love to hear any thoughts on this! Or if someone has any other reference shots just floating around I'd love to see them! :)
Persuade me!

That last pic is really bad, you can see the silver damage but not the actual gouge.
but it could have been added after the addition of the "ears".
Which later evolved into the dent as we know it.

I would think if the gouge were there in the second picture, based on the angle you would see a slight indent right at the crest of the dome on the upper right side of the photo. Since you can only see the beginning of the mark, but not any sign of the gouge, I'd think it wasn't on the eyes version....

C

p.s. I also don't see the kill stripes on the "eyes" version. Given that the gold part of the gouge damage and the kill stripes looks to be a similar color, and that the gold of the gouge lays over a bit of silver, I'd guess it could be they added the gold part of the gouge, the physical damage, and the kill stripes after they went from eyes to ears.

I just looked at this reference picture where both versions are side by side:

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/gallery2.php?g2_itemId=16269

And I would say, the silver based chipped off color is the same. Now, if there is the same color damage, what´s the possibility to get hit at the exact place twice?
the silver damage is thin and long and you can see that on both pictures. And I say this damage is one and the same! Maybe a hit with a vibro axe or any other sharp blade, it´s definately no blaster-damage.
The thin and long silver scratch results from the hit with a blade.

How big is the chance to get hit there twice? Exactly at the same position?

On the left picture you can hardly see the scratch, but if you look from one pic to the other you can see that the position is exactly the same.

I say the blade-damage with it´s chipped off color has been on both helmets.

A blade damage also not always has to have a gouge. It depends on the viewing angle.

Wow, not a lot of reference material. I agree with others that it looks like the gouge was there on the eyes version. It looks to me like the ears were done by either a) applying a sticker and cutting away parts of it to reveal existing damage, or b) some kind of frisket stencil was applied, and was cut out/around existing damage while on the helmet, and that one chunk of paint peeled up to reveal silver with the cuts of the pattern. Just wild speculation, but it looks like that whole section was already there.

eyes1.jpg

The silver scratch detail looks to be on both, but the cut and gold markings to cover up the grinding work was added later on the ears version. I would just paint the silver scratch and not worry about the cut.

Definitely the same helmet.

Oh, no question that's it the same bucket, and on a couple of folks' photo analysis, it seems certain that area is present on both the Eyes and Ears versions.
That's how I plan to move forward with this anyway. :)

Thanks for all the thoughts!

UPDATE: Nov 24th

OK, disregarding the gouge for now, I made some more progress on the opposite side of the helmet.
Here's a long scratch just above the right eye. This was placed using 2 separate pics.

IMG_2152.jpg

Here is a small area on the upper portion of the dome, along with the beginnings of the "hat band" area.

IMG_2156.jpg

More of the area behind the right ear.

IMG_2157.jpg

Things will slow down significantly after this. . . the reference becomes fuzzier and more scarce. :(

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back