Some new member questions

txronharris

New Hunter
First of all, hello to all of you. Being spurred on by my 9 year old, I've become more interested in participating than attending the local Star Wars events and from looking at the local guys that do some charity work, it looks llike alot of fun. I'm looking forward to building my first character costume.

That being said, I've got some questions some of you more experienced people maybe can answer:

I've seen the question of size being raised when determining what you decide to dress as. I'm 6'8" and 240lbs. From looking at some of the other posts, that might be a bit large to pull off some of the characters. I'm obviously drawn to the bounty hunters or I wouldn't be here, so Cad Bane came to mind. I know it might be complicated (and from what I've seen none of the groups have actually approved a costume foe him) but I'm sure with the resources and suggestions here it would be doable. Any other suggestions for a guy my size?

Is it wrong for me to contact other members asking for direction? I'm not trying to steal your thunder and I know you all have put alot of work into what you have done, but for a newbie like me finding ways to do things seems a bit daunting.

I'm in the Dallas area (actually closer to Denton). Is there a specific group that's local I could get in touch with?

Thanks again for taking the time to help me out with responses. I'm looking for ward to becoming a part of the bounty hunter universe.

Holy **** you're tall! You'd be a good height for Darth Vader, though I think even he's not 6'8. Amoung the bounty hunters, I think only Bossk even comes close. Walon Vau's described as tall, but cadaverous, which suggests he's very thin. But there's no actual measurement for how tall he is.

Hell just go with a wookie suit dude. lol

I'm a noob as well, so I don't have a lot of advice for you. The guys in the local garrison where I am are pretty friendly though, and quite helpful. Have a search for the 501st garrison in your area, they should have a website & forum for you to get local advice. Best of luck to ya.

I know Vader is tall and it would be an easy fit I guess, but I was wanting to go a bit further and try something not so "mainstream" I guess would be the word. A Wookee is a hard one and the costume is waaaay beyond my ability. I've seen a couple of guys talking about Cad Bane on the 501st forums. Maybe there are some local guys here that might could help with some info. I've got some ideas, but I'm not sure how to cast a mask. I'll check into that as well.

My height also poses a problem for the trooper costumes because everything is bigger and I'd have to make all the armor. What ever I come up with I'd like to be associated with the bounty hunters.

The Stormtrooper armor isn't that bad on larger folks.
My friend Duke is 6'7" and he wears it ok
He's on the far right in this pic, I'm the Dirty Sandtrooper at 5'10", and the Little stormtrooper in front of him is about 5'6"
gallery_69_178_289152.jpg

You can try the stormtrooper, but i agree with the others that you'd best fit the Vader

I did a 501st quality Vader. I am 6' 3" and between the mask and boots, I was 6' 6" in the Vader suit. That would make you nearly 7' tall as Vader. Wookie is best, but mask is very difficult. Personally, I love the Cad Bane idea. This may get me banned from this site, but Bane is at least as cool as Fett and possibly trumps him. When you get it done, be sure to share with the rest of us.

Last edited by a moderator:
When it comes down to it, it is really whoever YOU want to be :) Personally, a nearly 7 foot tall Fett would be an awesome site to see. Take someone who already looks mean and takes it to a whole new level (no pun intended) haha... Whatever you decide bro, I wanna see pics cuz it will be awesome!

El1te

Man that Stormtrooper's as tall as Vader! And the dude in front of him is a full head shorter.

I don't know much about Cad Bane, never saw the cartoons, so I don't know his dimensions. But originality's always good. It's always nice seeing costumes you haven't seen before. Don't know how you'd find a Duros mask though.

First of all, hello to all of you. Being spurred on by my 9 year old, I've become more interested in participating than attending the local Star Wars events and from looking at the local guys that do some charity work, it looks llike alot of fun. I'm looking forward to building my first character costume.

That being said, I've got some questions some of you more experienced people maybe can answer:

I've seen the question of size being raised when determining what you decide to dress as. I'm 6'8" and 240lbs. From looking at some of the other posts, that might be a bit large to pull off some of the characters. I'm obviously drawn to the bounty hunters or I wouldn't be here, so Cad Bane came to mind. I know it might be complicated (and from what I've seen none of the groups have actually approved a costume foe him) but I'm sure with the resources and suggestions here it would be doable. Any other suggestions for a guy my size?

Is it wrong for me to contact other members asking for direction? I'm not trying to steal your thunder and I know you all have put alot of work into what you have done, but for a newbie like me finding ways to do things seems a bit daunting.

I'm in the Dallas area (actually closer to Denton). Is there a specific group that's local I could get in touch with?

Thanks again for taking the time to help me out with responses. I'm looking for ward to becoming a part of the bounty hunter universe.

With your height, you can easily be a Vader. Dave Prowse is 6' 4". So you should go Vader, but then again it is up to you, whatever makes you feel happy with your future character.

Check with the 501st.com website, you should be able to locate a local Garrison in your nearby area. I know that TX has lots of members.

Dont be shy to contact them, especially their CO. His job will be to help you get going with your quest.

Thanks for al lthe replies. I've been overloaded with info the last few days trying to figure out which way to go. The only problem with the Darth Vader route is the mask seems like they're expensive when you can find one at all. Any direction on where to look for one? One reply put the cost of a complete Vader costume between 1500 and 3000.000. That seems like it's a bit much to start out, but if you take the cost of a trooper outfit and add it to Vader if I change, it's not so bad. I'll continue my research and please post up or email me if you've got suggestions.

Welcome
No matter what you deside to make you WILL spend alot of money on this hobby. TK all finished is about $1200, Boba Fett $3000 to $4500
But
THIS IS LOTS OF FUN

thx

Thanks for al lthe help guys. I'm leaning towards the Vader suit, but there's so much out there it's easy to get confused and everyone has an opionion about the quality of the different stuff so I'm doing alot of research and taking it slow.

I've gotten with some of the local 501st guys by email so they're being alot of help. The suggestion of maybe doing somone else (like a trooper) other than Vader has been thown out there since there can only be one at an event and that might limit the times I get to use him. My goal is to do some of the trooping with the guys and get involved with some local children's hospitals and do visits there as well.

I really appreciate all the help and if you have any suggestions, please post them and they won't be ignored. TK 6716 thanks for your reply--my wife's from Calgary, so once I get this all rolling and we come up for a visit, I'll look you guys up and we'll hit a Flames game in all our gear.

Aren't you a little tall for a Stormtrooper? I'd go With Vader. David Prowse was 6'6'' only two inches shorter than you at the time of Filming. I had the privilege of talking with him at Dragoncon and He admits to losing 4 inches of height over the years, and With all the Vader gear on he was about 6'8'' So Ya That would be perfect for your height.

What about Bossk? Trandoshans were tall... wookieepedia.com says 2 meters / 6 foot 6 for an average height.

He's awesome, he's a bounty hunter, and every Bossk I've ever seen has been around my height (5' 9") or shorter!

Heck, you could go with a custom Mando. Nobody says you have to have had screen time. Plus, custom Mando's are a little cheaper, and you pretty much have free reign with the design.

I've always heard a lot of people saying who cares what your size is, be whatever you want to, but I have to disagree.

I'd have to shed some pounds before I could wear a trooper or my Fett suit, therefore, I display costumes on mannequins. I have seen the Vaders with the Herman Munster boots and the chunky and short stormtroopers, and I think they all look just wrong. Why spend all that money for a nice costume, only for it to look really wrong.

I think everyone should wear a costume befitting their height and build and not try to pull off a 6 foot ugnaught or a 5 foot Wookiee.

Plenty of people would kill to be able to wear a Vader costume well minus the stilts. I'd go that direction and never look back. :)

If you're really concerned about how something would look on you because of your height you could go with something like a TIE pilot or Imperial Gunner. If you were to do something like a Gunner and built one of the BFG's they carry around you would look very intimidating!
A Royal Guard would be cool too, but you might need to get a custom helmet just to find one that will fit and those are big $$$ (which as others have mentioned is kind of how things are with this hobby).

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back