NEW BELT MAKER'S FIRST FETT POUCH

Hey Boo Boo, back to accurate detail found this while looking thru the MOM gallery. It shows lacing on the back of the belt.
MoM_2001-08-07_004.jpg

"Photo Courtesy of Art Andrews"

Attachments

• MoM_2001-08-07_004.jpg
    MoM_2001-08-07_004.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 102
Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Boo Boo, back to accurate detail found this while looking thru the MOM gallery. It shows lacing on the back of the belt.

I've seen this before. I also noticed the absence of grommets. I wonder if this belt was part of stunt wardrobe, or if it was thrown together for the exhibits? Hmmm.

I have thought about lacing as a closure method.

Bumping again. Any comment / suggestions are welcomed and encouraged. My goal is to produce the highest quality possible. You guys deserve it!

Question: Is Velcro the hands down preferred method of closure for the belt (apart from being screen accurate) ?

What about inserting a thin metal on one side and magnet on the other side. You know, like a woman's wallet/handbag.

I am working on what I hope to be the final prototype of the pouch now.

I don't want to give anything away just yet. I am ahead of you guys on the pouch closure :). Magnets were my first thought, but add a bit of complexity and more cost. I've come up with something that should work very well.

The new pouch should be ready for your comments in an hour or so. Get ready boys and girls. Your gonna like them! I hope.

:cheers

As promised, here it is...

1. The stitching pointed out by Takemetoyourfett & Art Andrews (thanks for the suggestion) has been added to the top only. It will be present on the bottom for production.

2. The profile has been modified to have the rounded look of the original pouches.

3. Closure via Velcro. The loop side is "countersunk" into the body of the pouch allowing for a nice flat meeting of the flap and body.

4. The ends of the belt loop is now secured inside the body of the pouch. This allows the to pouch to set flush against the belt, without the teetering effect the externally mounted loop caused.

5. Yes the rivets are intentionally turned around. They are less conspicuous this way and have a completely flat profile.

In the three wide photos are (left to right): pouch by previous maker, my first prototype and the current version.

As I said before, these are cemented AND riveted. It is possible this ammo belt will outlast all the other items of your suit :) That's my hope anyway.

So...what do you all think?!!!!!!!

PIC_0226.JPG

PIC_0225.JPG

PIC_0224.JPG

PIC_0223.JPG

PIC_0222.JPG

PIC_0221.JPG

stitchonammobelt.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW, just wow! Those look really sturdy, on top of having nice aesthetics. :) My name better be first on the list. lol :)

Cant wait to see these in person.

Will you make nonfunctional ones for a lesser price for those who aren't planning to keep change for the slot machines in them?

The only thing I would say is that I'd like to see the belt be more of a chocolate brown with a little bit of red tint to it instead of the toffee color. My Taco belt came in the toffee color and I didn't the color was close at all to the real deal. Picked up some leather oil and darker polish today, but of course that tints the thread somewhat. :facepalm

Would be interested in another belt when yours is perfected. :cheers

Will you make nonfunctional ones for a lesser price for those who aren't planning to keep change for the slot machines in them?

The only thing I would say is that I'd like to see the belt be more of a chocolate brown with a little bit of red tint to it instead of the toffee color. My Taco belt came in the toffee color and I didn't the color was close at all to the real deal. Picked up some leather oil and darker polish today, but of course that tints the thread somewhat. :facepalm

Would be interested in another belt when yours is perfected. :cheers

Thanks for the input, bro:D. Color has been a challenge:angry. I'll be off to Tandy with prints of the original belt tomorrow to sample other dyes, again.

To answer your question, I have a Taco belt I am not going to use. I'll sell that :). I'm really not interested in making non-functional pouches at this time. Cost wise, I have seen leather belts with non-functional pouches go from $150 - $200. Last year I saw someone selling a belt with functional pouches for $275 (sorry, I can't remember his name). I was thinking of pricing mine at around $210. I don't know if folks are going to find that outrageous, but to tell you the truth, I think that's a reasonable price considering the amount of labor involved.

And to repeat myself again: these belts are obviously not screen accurate However, I am trying hard to get them as close to screen "look" as possible. Hopefully I will find a good color dye tomorrow.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back