Han In Carbonite

jacob4581

New Hunter
After millions of questions and pre-planning I'm finally getting started on my HIC. I am going to build a wooden box with 1x2s so it's a little lighter, and some thin pvc tubing for the rounded edges. I'm going to build the box 1/4" shorter than the blueprint to compensate for the 1/8" Sintra I am cementing and screwing on top of the wood. After it's all built I'll spray Han with some Pactra Indy Silver spraypaint and then Rub N Buff the Sintra for a metallic look. I took Friday off and I'll be building this thing all weekend, so expect a lot more posts and pictures soon. Thanks again to everyone here at DH and the HIC Builders Club, especially miqt and Stormrider, who helped me out and answered all of my questions. Just getting started but lots more to come after this weekend.

I cut the extra rubber around the edges of Han with a pair of scissors
making sure that the measurements matched up as close as possible
with the blueprint.

DSC00003.jpg

Then I cut the 5 pieces of Sintra with a Stanley utility knife according to the dimensions of the blueprint.

DSC00004.jpg

Im doing some research at the time being. Trying to determine some things. One is whethere my copy of the HIC is too trapezoidal (wider at the bottom). So you may want to trim it square.

I would do the entere thing in the same color. Either all black, and then rub and buff the entire thing. Or all primer then silver, but I wouldnt do two different things on two places. It will not work out the way you want it. The entire prop should have the same color, just smoother on the outer box.

When I cut the extra rubber off I trimmed along the outer edge that was visible. I measured the top and bottom and they matched the slight trapezoidal dimensions of the blueprint. The main sheet that I'll mount Han on is still rectangle right now but I'll probably trim it to match the blueprint. Kind of a weird shape though. I bought four 3oz. cans of that Pactra Indy Silver, that's all they had at the Hobby shop. Do you think that will be enough to cover the whole thing after I prime it?

Yes I think so. If I were you though, id take some extra sintra, some extra rubber, and some primer, and do a mini mockup to make sure you get the effect your expecting.

Im not saying you wont, its just nice to be sure:)

Also, some expandable foam would work well to firm him up.

Maybe buy a can of that, and spray a little spatchala it onto some of the spare rubber, and see how it works out.

Im sorry to say, my rubber didnt show up again today. So the three people that have paid, and are waiting, it will be monday at the soonest before I can start on them.

Im sorry for the delay.
Mike

Right On! You've started -thats great. Looks like you're off
to a good start. I'll watch this thread like a hawk. If you
use some 'great stuff' foam or what not -let us know how it
works with this rubber. I'm thinking about taking some RE
magnets and scrap styrene, drilling a couple big holes in the sheet
plastic (to allow for the low expansion foam to escape).
Magnet the plastic (with tin foil layer) to the HIC, spray the
areas to be filled and remove the plastic after a few hours.
Cant wait to see your continuing progress!
Mike

Got some work done on this over the weekend at my Dad's new garage he built, he just retired and I'm envious :lol:. It was cool for me to work on a father & son SW project, and I could tell he was excited about helping out with it. Surprisingly all the supplies only cost me about $65. Started off with 3 1x10 8', 4 2x4 7', 2 2x4 6', 4x8 sheet of masonite, some 2x8 flat wood screws and #10 3.5" flat wood screws, Great Stuff expandable foam-yellow lid not the red, 3 8' pieces of 1/2" quarter round, a bucket of Natural colored wood filler, and some Liquid Nails.

DSC00005.jpg

DSC00006.jpg

We pre-drilled some holes in the 2x4s that we cut to line the tops and bottoms of the 1x10 frame so that they could be set up to add the quarter round. The frame has a weird shape since it's shorter on the top than on the bottom, but it will be nice and sturdy...and heavy too haha.

DSC00008.jpg

DSC00010.jpg

DSC00009.jpg

Then I measured the spacing for Han to lay on the sintra sheet I had cut before. Surprisingly when I cut the excess rubber off I followed the outside line or frame edge that was semi-visible and it was almost right exactly on size with the blueprint. I centered Han on the sintra and then traced a line around him so he would lay perfectly inside it. Then cut that out to make a frame for him. I also cut the sheet of masonite to size too. Here is a pic of the sintra frame, Han, and the masonite setting unmounted on top of the box. Making sure everything lined up good, I don't even think I'll need that much filler since he fits so perfectly in the frame. The 1/4" sintra is almost the same height as the rubber mold too.

DSC00013.jpg

Next I taped the templates I posted in the Building an HIC thread to the sintra side pieces. I cut them out along the top and bottom edges that are included on the templates and just aligned them across the top. This way they'll all be along the same line since the bottoms of the pieces may have to be trimmed or sanded a bit. Just a note too on the panel sides if you are building a rectangular HIC instead of the ESB trapezoid remember to come in 5.25" from the side to start the first panel shape, then go 1' 7" from center to center. This compensates for the extra inches for the trapezoid angle shape.

DSC00014.jpg

Then I cut the shapes out with my Stanley craft knife and used some medium grit sandpaper to smooth all the inner edges.

DSC00015.jpg

DSC00016.jpg

And last we used Liquid Nails to glue the sintra pieces to the frame. I am getting some panels to put on this thing too but didn't want to bore out the shapes on the top and bottom. I thought it would look cool to at least have the shapes cut out where they would be and then paint over it. Here it is drying with some 2x4 scraps weighing it down.

DSC00018.jpg

So really all that's left is attaching the quarter round for the rounded corners, mounting Han and drilling holes to let the foam escape, and then painting it. It's funny what you said about the expandable foam Mike, we both had the same idea about it. There is a little gap we'll have to fill on the face of the HIC to meet the quarter round but other than that it all matches up and lines up good. I should hopefully have this thing done by Thanksgiving, I'm going to an MU game on the 21st and then I'll be back home for Thanksgiving. Should be able to get it nailed down in a couple of weekend trips to Missouri.

Thats some impressive progress for a weekend!
Tell your dad -Nice Workshop! I think Ill be having
to build my HIC in our bedroom this winter.....I
wonder what wifey's going to say about that?
Mike

Got my panels and greeblies from Angela and Dung today, and all I can say is
WOW (y). These are absolutely amazing, the details are awesome and it came with a perfect side by side comparison of the panels and individual envelopes that hold each panels set of greeblies. It even came with the decals too!! Now it's time to get started on painting these guys and maybe a trip to RadioShack to fit and research my electronics. I'm wondering if I'll need to bore out an angle inside the wood where the panels will be mounted. I couldn't tell if specs were mapped out on the blueprint or not. I know I'll be using an old light table's opaque white plastic top for the underside of the hero panel. Then I'll probably buy some sheets of reflective, mirror-styled material to line the insides of the other panels.

DSC00019.jpg DSC00022.jpg

DSC00023.jpg

Wow, Im impressed. They're even prioviding a set of Glen's excellent
alien script decals! I have those panels too and I love them....of course
mine didnt come with decals :)
Really looking forward to your progress Jacob!
Mike

You beat me to it PFB, I haven't logged in for a bit. The panels were made by Angela and Dung Nguyen and you can inquire about a set from them, they are very reasonably priced for all the stuff you get. Here is their email dnanguyen@yahoo.com again. Hope to have some more progress done after this weekend!

Got a little bit of work done on the rounded corners this weekend. We did the short corner pieces that will meet the face of the block with Han on it. They didn't meet up exactly, but really close, so we used some sintra scraps to fill the extra space so the corners are as smooth as possible. We used liquid nails to glue the sintra pieces and the .75" corner wood pieces to the frame. Then we pre-drilled 3 holes in each piece of corner wood and nailed them down with finish nails that were countersunk slightly. Once everything is roughed on there and glued and attached I'll go back and use filler, sand, trim, and probably use a black primer on all the sintra sides and the frame around Han before I paint it all silver.

IMG_0241.JPG IMG_0240.JPG

Over Thanksgiving we got some more done on the HIC. We started by using a belt sander to round off the edges of the quarter round and the sintra pieces.

DSC00080.jpg DSC00081.jpg

Then we used finish nails to nail down the masonite base and the quarter round on the front on the box. We countersunk the nails again so we can use filler and paint over it to ensure that it's smooth.

DSC00088.jpg DSC00085.jpg

DSC00086.jpg DSC00087.jpg

Next we mounted the sintra frame for the rubber Han with Liquid Nails. I traced the inside of the frame with a red sharpie so I knew where to glue, rather than glueing on the floppy sintra frame itself.

DSC00082.jpg DSC00089.jpg

DSC00090.jpg

Finally we mounted Han on the masonite inside the sintra frame with Liquid Nails that we applied a ton of directly onto the rubber. He was a pain to get to stick on there perfect so we put a lot of weight on him to help him out haha. There were a few areas on the edges mainly that we had to periodically go check and re-glue that were coming up a little bit. All in all he stuck on there pretty good though. Almost perfectly even with the sintra frame height in most areas.

DSC00104.jpg DSC00105.jpg

DSC00106.jpg

Last we measured the length to the head, hands and arms, chest and knee that needed to be filled with expandable foam. We marked the spots and drilled holes, then filled the holes with foam. It will probably take you a few times with the foam to get it completely filled and solid. I will probably get some more done in the next month. Don't want to rush things though. Final steps will be the bondo in the gap areas and sanding and painting.

DSC00107.jpg DSC00108.jpg

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back