Want to start a Boba

madamann883

New Hunter
Hey guys,
I want to start work on a ROTJ Boba Fett costume and am not sure where to start. I'm thinking of starting with the helmet. Can you guys give me any tips on where to start?

helmet or blaster...that is where i started...helmet for sure, it is the staple of Fett...other than that, it just all falls into place as you go...steer clear of pretty much anything on ebay...it is just garbage...all you need is here, and can be made or sold in the cargo hold...welcome, and feel free to give me a shout if you have questions...:cheers

Thanks.
I want to start with the helmet. Get that nailed down and perfect. I was looking at bobamaker's stuff on his website. It looks beautiful, just don't know if i want to go with fiber glass. Should i just post in the cargo hold that i want to buy a helmet?

I started with the Jetpack myself.
i would actually suggest starting with the armor.
Here's why,
You can get it cheaply if you go with Sintra or (shudders) "trash-can " armor. It's a good place to get a feel for your abilities and if you really really wanna continue making a Boba. If you lose interest, you aren't out a ton of cash.
Also, helmets and Jetpacks (especially the ROTJ pack) are pretty complex paintjobs and might cause people to become discouraged if that's what they try first
just my 2 cents

that makes alot of sense(y)...also depends on your fundage, what are you willing spend? are you looking to buy? do it yourself? you need to set a budget, and then research what stuff costs, how much is it to have someone paint for you, stuff like that...so you need to set your goals, then do your studying...and like i said, there are many people here that can do all of the above if you have a large budget...and on the other hand, there are many many resources to help you out if you dont...good luck!!

I sort of built mine as if I were putting it on (except the helmet, I got that first haha). Started with soft parts, then armor, then belts, etc... It lets you test fit and put on stuff as you progress to see if you like it or not.

El1te

If i start with the armor, should i get the soft pieces first? I'm aware this is going to cost a few thousand dollars. I'm going to do it over time. I just wanted to know where to start. And it looks like i should probably start with the armor.
Thanks!

Get the armor parts first, that´s what your going to spend most of your time perfecting, you can get the softparts while you work on the armor.

And yes, I´d start with the chest pieces. If you don´t have too much experience painting stuff like this, the chest pieces is a great part to learn and perfect your technique on before you move on to the helmet.

I'd get a helmet or work on a helmet first. You can display that on a helmet stand or styrofoam head form and it will probably inspire you to go on to the next step.

My first go round I did that, then got a mannequin torso and a flak vest and did the chest armor and shoulder bells to go on that. Then it was on to a full size mannquin.

I'm on my second mannquin and just about every element of my costume is either on it's second, third, fourth or even fifth incarnation. I've got one shin tool a set of boots that are still hanging about from my first go round.

It depends on if you already have a skillset or not. If you are an accomplished painter and have the skills to do the paintjob then start with the helmet.

The other thing to take into consideration is runs of something being done at sometime. If FP decides to do a run of 15 helmets, then jump on that as fast as you can put your name on the list! If Mojo does another run of sidearms, get one as quickly as you can. Get to know the makers her and that can save you a lot of time.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back