Wearing a costume to an event if you're not in the 501st

Mic Pro

Jr Hunter
Is this bad etiquette? My girlfriend and I are thinking of wearing costumes to the Star Wars in Concert in Ottawa but we're not 501st members. We don't wanna step on anyone's toes but we also want to dress up.

Also, how difficult is it to attend these events in full gear? Like, can you fit in the seats with your jetpack (which I assume you remove), or are you kinda stuck having to stand up all night for fear of breaking character?

I know they're dumb questions, but any insight would be great. Thanks!

I think that as long as you don't claim to 501st or anything you should be able to have fun and wear your costumes. Would be a good chance to network with those from the Canadian Garrison that might be there....

This problably isnt the right place to ask but i couldnt find out were it is in canada.. maybe one of you guys could tell me :)

The show is at the Scotiabank Place in Ottawa, Ontario. Where the NHL's Ottawa Senators play. Technically it's in Kanata, a suburb of Ottawa.

Yeah, that's kind of what we thought too. But to make it easy to sit in a cramped chair for a whole show we might just do Boushh and un-frozen Han, or Bespin Leia and Bespin Han.

I'd love to tackle a scratch-built Boushh helmet...!

Just dont try to get into one of the 501 pictures when they take them. That caused a nasty hornets nest of a poo doo fest one time.

If your costume is good ( not necessarily excellent) don't worry. We have guys troop with us all the time who are not 501st. it's ussually all good most garrisons are not uptight. They can give you excellent tips. there are just too few fans out there to be elitist and snobby.
If they turn out to be that way well.......You probably don't want to hang out with that sort of drama anyway.

I'm a member of the 501st and like Lifeburn said: We don't own Star Wars, so we can't stop you from showing up in your costume. And any member of the 501st that thinks that should have themselves checked out.

Just have fun and enjoy the event but one word of advice, even though you are not 501st you could be mistaken for one, so please be courteous to everyone.:)

You'll probably find the 501st members very friendly and approachable. They may well even come across to you and start offering advice and perhaps even recruit you if you are interested - it's what we would do here and I can't see them being any different.
Enjoy yourselves.

Hey Mic -
I know a few of the guys going to that event. There will
be 8 "official costumes" there. I think 3 are rebel legion,
including (I think) the CDN RL CO (Doug), and 5 501st.
Theres a discussion on the CDN Garrison link on the RL
website. You can always join that site too and participate
in the star wars in concert thread. Anyhoo....The guys
and girls attending ottawa are all cool folks and you will
have lots of fun meeting them. have fun at the concert.
Mike

More than likely if you let them know, they will be more than happy to let you dress and walk out with them. It's not a super secret club or anything, Its just for fun or charity, and the more publicity the better.

Not to mention people from The Rebel Alliance will probably be there as well and there not 501st either.

Between 501st and Rebel Legion, there were 20 attending costumers at the Ottawa event, and 25 at the Montreal event.

Any one can wear a costume, as no group can dictate what patrons/guests can and cannot do... only the event organizers have that kind of say. :p

The only thing that we frown at, is costumed folks stating that are affiliated with a group ( like the 501st or Rebel Legion ), when they are not. We've had non-members in costume hang out and troop with us all the time... the more the merrier. :cheers

I think the Capital city Squad is the closest to where I am (time to start the Northern Ontario Garrison...!) so if I ever get my costume up to snuff, I'd like to someday join it. Problem is I'd only be able to come down for events once in a while cuz Ottawa is a four hour drive away. but I have family and friends there so I like to make my way down as much as I can.

I think the Capital city Squad is the closest to where I am (time to start the Northern Ontario Garrison...!) so if I ever get my costume up to snuff, I'd like to someday join it. Problem is I'd only be able to come down for events once in a while cuz Ottawa is a four hour drive away. but I have family and friends there so I like to make my way down as much as I can.

Mic, this is Elijah. I was the ESB Vader at the concert. I hope you enjoyed the show. I know we all did!!

You are ALWAYS welcome to join the Capital City Squad in any events we have. You will have to join our Yahoo group to keep track. Right now though, we just have the Help Santa parade this Saturday, and then we kind of go into hybernation for the rest of the year.

But there is always something going on. Even if you just want to come down and meet us, that is cool! "It would be an honor if you would join us.":cheers

Sweet, that would be be awesome! I'm gonna work on my Dengar costume this winter and my girlfriend wants a Boushh costume to so we can both troop! Time for us to get cracking if we want to do this!

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back