Airbrushing helmet

Slowmo

Active Hunter
OK, here's my dilemma... I am down to the back right bottom pannel of my ESB helmet and looking at it it looks much more daunting than the rest of the helmet. I have done all of the rest of the damage topically using tiny brushes. I am hoping to get this helmet ready for SWIC on Sunday and I really don't think I can do that using brushes but I"m wondering if I can airbrush it with decent results. I've only done base coloring and large surfaces and misting with my airbrush so far. How difficult would it be to airbrush the damage to that back panel? How detailed can I get with an airbrush? (I know I will have to go get a better airbrush than the cheapy beginner one i"m currently using) Will it look funny with the rest of the helmet being brushed to have 1/4 done with an airbrush?

Any tips, tricks, feedback will be greatly appreciated. Like I said, I'm kind of down to crunch time and really only have tomorrow morning and early afternoon to get that section painted because I still have to install the ears, rangefinder, and internal padding.

I'm just wrapping up my airbrush job, I've been using airbrush for years b/c of my hobbies. The layered paint effect takes a lot of time. You'll need to liquid mask off every layer of color and paint over and build up over the mask. The back panels have about 5 layers of colors, I'm applying some of it topically (where the paint chips are inside other color zones). It can be done, but not by tomorrow. I'd go with hand painting if you're pressed for time.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back