Are you comfortable with TDH's text link ad campaign

How do you feel about text-link ads on TDH?

• They don't bother me. In fact, I have found them useful!

Votes: 8 15.4%
  • They are a necessary evil, but they don't detract from my experience.

Votes: 39 75.0%
  • Ugh! I'd rather donate than have to look at ads.

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • I hate the ads and they make me not want to visit TDH!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I didn't notice them. I am a militant ad-blocker.

Votes: 4 7.7%

• Total voters

Art Andrews

Community Founder
Community Staff
As most of you have seen, we have launched a text link ad campaign in order to generate revenue to pay for the site. We have done this because 1) we dont' like having to ask the membership for money and 2) we don't like depending on donations which are strongly effected by the economy.

While we have several affiliate programs (sideshowtoys, entertainment earth, buycostumes.com) they have not generated a great deal of revenue, certainly not enough to cover the cost of the site.

Our texlink ads program has only been running a little over a month and has shown great promise. We anticipate, by the end of 2009, we will be able to remove our "Donation" button all together.

Your browsing experience here at TDH is VERY important to us and we don't want to interfere with it any more than necessary (we promise, no punch the monkey ads, no pop-ups, or pop-unders) but wanted to get a feel for what the membership thought of our text-link ads.

Please vote and give us your thoughts!

D

I've actually found them helpful... I was looking for the Rubies clone blaster, and the forum coincidentally gave me a good link to a place that had them cheap :)

I clicked on one of them and it lead me to a local costume/make-up shop that I was going to be looking for the very same day. I think the value is worth the minor irritation as long as it helps TDH keep going strong!

I'm fine with them, as long as no pop-ups. Most of the forums I visit are doing this, most of them have been doing it for quite awhile. If it keeps us running, let it roll.

They don't bother me at all since they are at the top and bottom of the page.

I have visited other sites while surfing the web and have seen some forums where the ads are intertwined with the posts. (i.e. 2 posts then an ad, another 2 posts and another add, etc.) Those suck. I have left the site and never returned.

Overall TDH is still a fantastic forum. Keep up the great work. :cheers

We considered adding ads into posts for non-members and while it might net more revenue... to me, that would be about as annoying as pop-ups... just not somewhere we wanted to go.

I've been surfing the web for long enough now that my brain pretty much filters stuff like this out automatically; I haven't really noticed them. It's great that they are generating enough revenue to run the site. You should obviously still let people donate if they want to.

Aha. Additional ads for non-members. Makes sense why I was seeing them on sites where I was not a member. That never occured to me, so when I saw all those ads, I figured I would never want to join that site and be bombarded by ad after ad.

Learned something new today. I guess I can go back to bed. :)

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back