zam's shoes ...pradas

ZamIAm, did you hand sew your leather onto your shoe? I figure with the sole on there, there is zero way an average sewing maching can stitch there. Did anyone have a different way they went about it (Luck with a cobbler sewing the added leather on?)

Chiseled the holes then ~ Yep hand sewed it with leather needles. It was a bugger. Then I painted the white parts purple. My shoe was red. The top part if you look at the FIDM/MOM shots, is a white leather upper painted purple with a brown strip of leather in the middle. You can use brown paint on a strip if you want. I did for the piece that is around the base rubber of the shoe. I just traced the shoe with a piece of paper that matched what it would look like for the back heel leather and the strip. Then used it as my pattern for the leather.

You'll then use brown leather paint. Spray it on in several fine layers. It will take a lot so get 2 cans. This is actually how stormtrooper boots were made originally by painting black boots white.

Thanks for the input! What brand of spray paint do you use? I've only used Cova Color sold at Tandy to paint my belts, but it is liquid in bottles. Perhaps I could airbrush it on? What brand of leather spray paint are you using? I've herd mixed reviews on spray paints like nulife due to cracking.

Lastly, has anyone used the Angelus Acylic Leather paints or Fiebings Acrylic Paint for any parts of their Zam costumes? (I will eventually have questions for the leather parts thread too.)

Yep... those are the same boots I have! Just about killed me to "mutilate" my one and only pair of designer shoes though! :lol:

First I cut off the "Prada" label on the red stripe on the bottom with an exacto. Then colored it with a black permanent marker - figured I could just re-color as needed easily enough!

Then deglazed like MonCal explained. But I also took some sandpaper to the boots to rough up the leather a bit and the soles too. A very-fine sandpaper should I point out. When I painted with the leather paint, I custom mixed the color and applied it with a sponge, not an airbrush. (In a couple thin layers of course). I've not had any cracking or peeling.

I haven't decided how to put on the purple leather pieces yet ... I'm still mulling it over. :/

Thanks MaulMaus! So did your boots fit pretty true to size? I spotted a pair of 9's on ebay but I'm an 8. I don't know if I should get them and just stuff my shoes with thick socks and insoles, or hold out and hope something closer to my size becomes available? Yikes!

Here are pics of my boots - i dont have them yet but hopefully they will arive soon.

boots3.jpg

boots2.jpg

boots1.jpg

Here are pics of my boots - i dont have them yet but hopefully they will arive soon.

boots1.jpg

Lucky you! Did you find brown ones or is that the result of someone else's paint work? The way the red logo stands out, it looks like you lucked out and found some that were already brown!

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a glue called "Shoe-goo" has anyone had success with this stuff as opposed to sewing? I heard it was pretty good stuff.

My boots are held together with Fabri-tac and it seems to hold pretty well. My base boots are a Wal-Mart find and then I made basically a slip cover for them out of a brown vinyl that matched the boot after it was weathered, and some scraps of the suede from my veil, gluing it on at the sole with Fabritac. They're not nearly as nice as the Pradas, but they cost me a grand total of $30 or so, and they'll do until I can afford a $200 pair of shoes to destroy.

It's okay to revive threads if you're actually reviving the conversation that goes with them. Hush.

Yes, from my bboard experience it is actually better to find the original topic than create a new one in which people end up having to point you to the original topic. I was just continuing the conversation in a legit way, far from trolling. 8)

Lucky you! Did you find brown ones or is that the result of someone else's paint work? The way the red logo stands out, it looks like you lucked out and found some that were already brown!

Yeah i think they are actualy brown to start with, the sellr didnt advertize them as zam boots so i guess they had no reasn to make the brown, i just gotta hope these pair fit!!! LOL :lol:

Lord im looking forward to hacking these apart :facepalm .... NOT! Im in an industry that supplies to cobblers but the one that gives me free services im not sure i trust with my Pradas haha!! Ill have to shop around and get a few quotes and if its too much do it myself lol

did anyone notice that the last post of this thread was in 03?

With the rapidly approaching Celebration Europe and the new neoprene run its only natural that these old threads will be gettng posted on again, there is a weath of information on them and we as "newbies" are using tis and asing questions and adding to it. I expect a LOT more activity on the Zam boards and i love seeing the threads come back to life with new zammers!!!

I agree we should keep the threads alive and the topics in one place. The only unfortunate part is a lot of pics have disappeared. If you read a post that seems to be missing a picture I for one would be happy to re post my pictures if you pm me and tell me which post needs a pic.

As for glue, shoe goo is good. I think it's basically the same as "goop" which I use a lot. Another glue that works great is Barge cement. Leather workers use it and it holds great. It's a contact cement so it works best if you coat both surfaces, let it tack and then put the pieces together.

I have a question on the Prada sizing for those of you who already have them. If I check International Size Conversion Charts, Generally a 38 = 7.5 US, 38.5 = 8, 39 = 8.5 - etc. However, on ebay most of the Prada listings say 37=7, 38=8, 39=9. It is really inconsistent. So how have you all found that they run? What Euro size is stamped in your shoe, and what US size do you actually wear?

Thanks!

Sorry this is not much help but i couldnt actually find a euro size ... or come to think of it ANY size on my pair anywhere i just sold them as the size i bought them as lol. Im really praying these new pair will fit when they arrive, if they do and the have a size i will let you know, they should arrive soon.

Not sure if this helps but the boots i bought were listed as Prada Boots sz 40 / 7 - 8 USA

As for glue, shoe goo is good. I think it's basically the same as "goop" which I use a lot. Another glue that works great is Barge cement. Leather workers use it and it holds great. It's a contact cement so it works best if you coat both surfaces, let it tack and then put the pieces together.

For whatever reason, the finish on my holster didn't react well with barge cement, that was the first thing we tried and it popped apart within a couple hours of using it, despite giving the glue 48 hours to cure while held together with clamps. The Fabritac is holding just fine a year and a half later, though.

Julie

Barge works, you have to hold it in place with some clips or something for 5-10 minutes though for it to cure right. E6000 is great for anything and everything.

Wondering if anyone can answer this question.
Do pradas run a little big or a little small or are they spot on usually?
There is an ebay auction for a pair 1/2 size smaller than I am. No way I can stand the pain of a pair of shoes too small with all the walking and standing you do in these things. And I've got 2 little kids I'd be taking care of too.
They're priced pretty low, it's got a shipping price that I bets more then it should be, but even with that it's not a bad price.

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back