Help with Daughter's Jango Costume

jedi paramedic

Active Hunter
I seem to have bought all the necessary items to make a Jango costume for my 4 year old daughter. However, I need some help with how to get the helmet painted. What do I do first....put on the rub-n-buff then paint, or paint front, then put on rub-n-buff afterwards. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I'll get some pics up tonight of my progress so far.

Final pictures added.

Last edited by a moderator:
I seem to have bought all the necessary items to make a Jango costume for my 4 year old daughter. However, I need some help with how to get the helmet painted. What do I do first....put on the rub-n-buff then paint, or paint front, then put on rub-n-buff afterwards. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I'll get some pics up tonight of my progress so far.

Because rubb and buff can be worn off, especially by masking tape, you should paint the blues (any order, I don't think it really matters) then mask the blue's off and apply the rubb n buff

Hey Jedi P.. yea LSFU is what I have. Vest and jumpsuit. She does great work(y)(y)

As for the paint, I would go with the Valspar Metallic paint, for the sliver. Its shiny and your little one isn't going to be in it for too long. So no need to spend the money.

As far as the paint, I did the cheeks and ear caps, then the metallic, then the light blue. I didn't have any problems with the painters tape pealing off the paint from the other colors.

I am going to spray some clear coat on it tomorrow and see how it changes the color. I will post up some pix so you can see.

If I can be of any help, just give a yell!!

Here are some pics of the progress so far.....
100_3618.jpg

LSFU flighsuit

100_3616.jpg

My Wife's flightsuit that she made after I told her I ordered one

100_3617.jpg

LSFU Child Vest

100_3619.jpg

Shoes I might use

100_3620.jpg

Belt and Pouches from another Costume

100_3622.jpg

TK2280 Upper armor (still needs to be Rub-n-Buffed)

100_3623.jpg

TK2280 Lower armor and boots I might use

Small%20Jango%20Helmet.jpg

Thor's helmet being prepped still (just cut the visor out)

gauntlets.jpg

Small Gauntlet uppers from Hasbro set

Small%20Jango%20Gauntlets.jpg

Gauntlets trimmed and primed for paint.

I'll be working on the Gauntlets tomorrow, as well as the Armor. Thanks to all those that have helped out in this project so far.

Hey Jedi P.. yea LSFU is what I have. Vest and jumpsuit. She does great work(y)(y)

As for the paint, I would go with the Valspar Metallic paint, for the sliver. Its shiny and your little one isn't going to be in it for too long. So no need to spend the money.

As far as the paint, I did the cheeks and ear caps, then the metallic, then the light blue. I didn't have any problems with the painters tape pealing off the paint from the other colors.

I am going to spray some clear coat on it tomorrow and see how it changes the color. I will post up some pix so you can see.

If I can be of any help, just give a yell!!

Thanks so much for the offer. I'm sure I will be asking a lot of questions as this continues to progress. Where can I get this "Valspar paint"? I thought valspar was a brush type of paint from Home Depot. Do they make it as a spraycan?

Looking good. Totally agree on the gaunts. Would love to pick up a pair!

Is that vest black, or dark gray? I was looking at black vinyl last night, but it seemed too "dark". That looks really good.

Did some work this a.m. on the Daughter's Jango costume.
100_3646.jpg

Painted up the Gauntlets with some Aluminum and Silver

100_3645.jpg

Another view of the Gauntlets. These are the cheap looking ones that came in a set with a fugly boba helmet, and a gun from Hasbro way back in 1998. Believe it or not, these gauntlets cost me more than anything else in the costume.

100_3636.jpg

100_3637.jpg

100_3638.jpg

Here's the helmet with some Silver on it. I'll do the ears and mandibles later today after it dry's.

100_3641.jpg

Armor is trimmed and ready for primer. Not much to do as TK2280 did a remarkable job in making this Child Armor.

Looking good. Totally agree on the gaunts. Would love to pick up a pair!

Is that vest black, or dark gray? I was looking at black vinyl last night, but it seemed too "dark". That looks really good.

As for the Gauntlets I'm going to find some bottom halves and put them together with some piano hinges. After Halloween is over if anyone is interested in casting them, I will be done with them for a while. Not sure if Hasbro would appreciate that or not, but it doesn't look as if they are going to make a Jango set with these available. I don't do any casting, so they would have to be sent to someone that wouldn't mind doing them. They are great for a 4 to 6 year old size costume

The Valspar paint, I got from Lowes and its in a spray can. Its a silver metallic. The can has 2, what looks like, wedding rings on it.

100_3671.jpg

Finished up with most of the painting
100_3706.jpg

Heavily modified Jango Blaster set. Lots of cutting, and rivets.
100_3680.jpg

Starting to suit her up.
100_3684.jpg

She's getting a little anxious before the Trunk or Treat.
100_3687.jpg

Final dress rehearsal
100_3721.jpg

Can't hide the blond lockes
100_3716.jpg

Final product = Share of Best Costume
100_3715.jpg

She didn't keep the helmet on to long, as it still was a bit hefty. But, everyone really liked the way it turned out, including myself.

Thanks to everyone that helped out with this project. Couldn't have done it without you guys.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back