Mouth Inserts and Molding

kale nakamaru

New Hunter
To start off my name is Kyle, I signed up to ask this question and with the help from here I will post what I finish!

Here is what I was looking for:

Mold Material : The Best and Cheapest!

Creation Material : The best suited for my case.

For the mold I was thinking about guessing and hoping to get it right from measurements. I wanted to mold around my gums and lips to form a nice hold to an addition from a mask. Since this mask stretches on the head, I thought the mask would put tension on the newly added mouth inserts to keep them in hold on the mouth, but I didn't want too hard of a material that it would rip my mouth apart. Back on the mold subject...
I was thinking about super sculpey since its easy to work with and dries well. This design will have teeth set up so I'd like to make those first to make holes in the mold for them to rest. so I was wondering would super sculpey be best?

now for the creation, like I said, it has teeth. Since this looks like an up to date forum and what not I'd like to get help from you guys!
I was going for platinum silicone (heard it was best for skin and mouth props) since I have the mold set I'd like to know what is best. I want something soft and non-toxic for the mouth to handle, but not to soft that it will slip out or move around to much. and as for color, it will be a fleshy pink mouth color. so color is a factor along with if i have to paint it and so forth...

well thanks in advance, hope i can get some great help.
Kyle FTW

If you're planning to take a mold of your mouth and teeth, the only material that I'd recommend is Alginate. It's what dentists and Orthodontists use to make casts of your mouth for appliances.

It's the only non-toxic mold material that I can think of that would be safe to put near your mouth.

If you're planning to take a mold of your mouth and teeth, the only material that I'd recommend is Alginate. It's what dentists and Orthodontists use to make casts of your mouth for appliances.

It's the only non-toxic mold material that I can think of that would be safe to put near your mouth.

what he said.

i would NOT put platinum cure silicone in my mouth. not to mention that most of them take hours to cure. do you really want to sit with rubber in your mouth?

Hahaha you took it the wrong way!

what i meant

for the mold i was gonna guess with super sculpey to make the silicone product...

the mold i made would set for the time it would need for the silicone to finish with the tiresome wait...

i was asking suggestions on what would be best for what i'm aiming for...

which was:
what is best for a mold

and

what is best for the finished product(not to hard, not to flexible)
something sturdy, but not going to destroy my gums...

and thanks again, i'll look into that dentist mold...
Kale

I did answer your question on what is best for the mold... Alginate.

Once you've used the Alginate to take an impression ( mold ) of your teeth and gums ( it sets rather quickly ), you can then use it as a master mold to cast a replica of your teeth and gums in Hydrocal ( a form of plaster ).

You can then re-mold the Hydrocal cast in any medium that suits your fancy. :D

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back