airbrush or spraypaint?

jebby10

Jr Hunter
hi everyone, i'm sure this has been asked someone in here but after 2 hours of looking i'll just go ahead and ask. what would be the best method of painting a helmet, spraypaint or airbrush. i'm beginning to build my costume and i'm price checking everything and i'm thinking of going with an unpainted helmet. but i don't know what was the best way to paint it or which is the one way most used by the professionals here.

For my part, I prefer airbrush. But it all depends on what you are painting. As long as you don't need to have exact colormatching etc. a rattlecan can give just as good a result.

I find the airbrush to be easier to get a nice finish with since you can regulate airflow and the amount of paint you want. But a few testruns with rattlecans and you should be good.

Rattlecans will probably also be a bit cheaper unless you already own an airbush.

As cr4nky said, it depends on how accurate you want your colors to be.
Not all of the colors are available in spray cans. Some are, but not all.

If you go with an airbrush, there's nothing that says you have to get an expensive, top of the line kit. I've gotten excellent results with a $20 Badger set up. You just need to practice with it if you're not familiar with airbrushing.

I would agree with what cr4nky + supejedi wrote.
I find airbrushing much more controllable and also you don't have to contend with the smell of spray paint.

the best is the one you can use well.

an airbrush is useless to you if you don't know how to use it. rattlecans have their issues too.

i have a couple of airbrushes, but mostly use rattlecans. i like the challenge of getting the right colors with what's available. i mix colors on the fly (spraying 2 cans into each other) and other wacky stuff like that.

i pretty good with spraypaint. i've never used an airbrush before, i just wanted to know if there was a right or wrong way, it's common knowledge you wouldn't use spraypaint to paint the inside of a house. so i wasn't sure if there was a standard way to paint a helmet or armor.

I've learned to use an airbrush with my latest set of armor upgrades and wouldn't use anything else. I still do the battle damage on helmets toplically with brushes as I'm not that confident with my airbrushing yet, but for base colors and misting it's fantastic.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back