New to casting

wet sheep

New Hunter
I apologize if this has been addressed elsewhere, and if so if someone could direct me to the appropriate location on the forum I'd appreciate it.

I have been looking into making a cast bondo/fiberglass helmets and I have no real idea how to start or the best methods. I have quite a supply of RTV silicone but with experience using it (in automotive work) I don't quite understand how it is used (It may be different RTV than what most use). I have been working on an Iron Man helmet and using various methods. I first pepped one and coated with a resin, which I did not mix well and had to dispose of. I then pepped another, and coated with an epoxy used for industrial concrete work, with actually was not very impact resistant (shattered). To reinforce it I coated with hot glue. It looks REALLY runny, but I wanted to see if I could build a rough model and if my scale was good. I then attempted to use 20 g steel, and I only completed the face place (too difficult for me to get the little details). I then found a better pep model and made one out of paper. Afterwards a discovered that Wally world sells cardstock and re-pepped. This is where I am currently at. I realize I will need to resin and bondo the pep model first, but I'm trying to think forward with the molding/casting. Any input?

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back