My scratch built gaunt idea

M

msquared

Tomorrow Im gonna start on my scratch built gauntlets. Heres how I intend on doing them.

Im gonna cut the syntra in one solid sheet, that fits my forearm. When I mold it I will put a thin piece of wood on the top of my forearm, this will give a flat base for me to start building the bulk of the gauntlets. The two ends of the syntra will meet on the inside of my forearm and be concealed with a loose sheet of syntra to conceal the crack or overlap. From that I will add on blocks of pine wood cut to the basic shape of the bulk. Pretty simple...cuz Im a simple guy.

What do u guys think? Will it work?

Also, i painted my chest armor but its so freakin shiney!!! what can i do to dull it down?

Thanks

I think I follow you. Sounds like you're kind of going for a poorman's vaccuforming without the vaccu part. Just remember to allow for the excess that you'll need after the baseblock's thickness is taken-up.

As for the shiny....try Dulcote. It's a spraycan thing.

thanks guys, I'll post some pics maybe tonight of what i've done.

poormans...hahaha yes very very poor man's style everything lol

I think it would be a good idea to make the gauntlets hinge open instead of being stuck. I made mine without a hinge, and it's fine for me, but next time I will put the hinge in.

Don't forget that you can make the indented squares and other details, too, that are in the wrap-around part of the gauntlets. Cut the holes, then glue another, bigger piece of sintra inside. A little bit of bondo, sand it, and it will look good.

I have seen others on here make extremely good gauntlets from sintra, so it can be done.

lol definitely. I am gonna do a clamshell.

First off the piece that I measured out was way too small so it didnt wrap around my forearm...Im so embarrassed about that. And second, I would cut up my hand eventually sliding it in and out of the gaunt.

Thanks for the suggestions, hopefully I will have pics up soon.

For the dulling part, I used some grey primer and misted it. Start a little and work from there.

fett234 said:
For the dulling part, I used some grey primer and misted it. Start a little and work from there.

You might also wanna try some liquid deglosser. You can find it in the paint department at your friendly neighborhood hardware store. It's used for deglossing gloss paint before repainting walls and such, so that the new layer of paint will bond properly with the old.

mando.wannabe said:
You might also wanna try some liquid deglosser. You can find it in the paint department at your friendly neighborhood hardware store. It's used for deglossing gloss paint before repainting walls and such, so that the new layer of paint will bond properly with the old.

Dude...!

Why are you responding to this post that is almost (2) years old!?!? :confused

This thread is about 3 years old. I don't think that msquared is even around anymore.

Just keep a heads up on the post date. ;)

Oh then lets revitalize.
My Gauntlets are scratchbuilt.
Steps:
1. I cut a plastic pitcher in half and heated them up and formed them.
2. Left gaunt is formed in legos for the most part and the right one is formed in foamboard.
3. attach legos and foamboard filling with hightemp hot glue.
4. Filled in the gaps and some integral curves with joint compound (works better than spackle and has a quick drying time.
5. Sanded and refilled with more JC, Sanded again.
6. 3 coats of Polyurethane.
7. Polyester resin coat, sanded.
8. Polyester resin coat again, sanded.
9. Joint compound as the final filler, sand and refill where needed.
10. Attach bottom halves.
11. Paint.
12. Add the little details (switches, darts, etc)...

MY estimated total cost is probably $30 + my time.
They wont be accurate, but will look good at sight but not under inspection.

Yeah like drywall, I decided to use it becaus its got an easy clean up and you can spread it with your fingers when its wet. It also sands well. It does crack when it dries sometimes, but when I did the double coat the cracks were also filled in. No pics yet but soon.

IMG_1332.jpg

IMG_1331.jpg

IMG_1329.jpg

IMG_1328.jpg

IMG_1327.jpg

And I have some other pics of my armor and stuff over here:
http://images.cosplay.com/gallery.php?cat=38827&member=3632

Hey thanks...

And for the nit-pickers: I already know they are far from accurate, but I figure Ill make these and see how I like being in them and then I might purchase or sculpt some more accurate ones later. I will however be putting my bang up painting skills to use tho...

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back