Anyone ever made a Muppet animal head?

pb strangle

Jr Hunter
I'm trying to figure out what to make the base/frame of the head out of for a semi-decent looking animal mask. Here's a picture of someone's work for a more savvy prop-builder to reference. I'd greatly appreciate any help!

Animalcostume.jpg

I just finished my animal head. I used cardboard for the mouth base. I covered that in black felt with an orange border for the lips. I used a red clown nose for animals nose. I was going to use ping pong balls for the eyes but they were too small so I use some more foam for the eyes. I found some black fur at a hobby shop for the eyebrows and then I found this great multi-color yarn for the hair. It turned out pretty good. I would post a picture, but I can't find the cord to connect my camera to my computer.

I thought about card board- but then I figured if it gets damp, which it does on Long Island, the whole thing will warp and all that work will go to waste. As for paper mache, there'd definately be a less hassle way to make a base; A combination of foam + hockey helmet. With various yarms, faux fur, hot glue and other myriad animal'esque fixen's. I'm also super against paper mache- def. would also be a a little too messy and not so strong, I'm also not familiar with it. But, I def. appreciate your input.
I'll be scoping out Joann's Fabric store and Michael's Craft Store tomrrow.
I'll post pix of progress if the trouble out-weighs the gain.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back