Jango for my son...

krkconsult

New Hunter
Ok so I'm starting a Jango for my son...

I have already contacted some armor makers about some things, mostly the hard armor and backpack.

Here are the current questions...

Is there a pattern floating around for the leather vest?
Is there a consensus on the color?

Is there a pattern or good photos of the jumpsuit?
Is there a consensus on the color?

What is an acceptable boot these days?

That's it for this round.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Kris

No accurate patterns are available that I know of for either the jumpsuit or the vest. There are plenty of pictures though in the reference gallery.

Vest Color: IMO, Charcoal Grey. Some people go with a bluish color and IMO it doesn't look right. Although in the C2 exhibit pics there is a hint of blue to the vest in up close pics, my opinion is that it just doesn't look right to use a blue vest. Get charcoal grey and if you wish, add some blue acrylic wash to it. I don't even think that's necessary.

Jumpsuit Color: It's also up for debate. I think the color is best described as periwinkle. It's a color that looks blue in some light and purple in other light. Just don't go light blue, dark blue, or bright purple and you should be fine. The color changes depending on the lighting...blue with a hint of purple or purple that looks blue sometimes.

As for acceptable boots, well there's not exactly a readily available substitute boot. You need to make yourself familiar with the sole and look for either that exact sole or something that looks like it. The exact sole itself was made available to Kenneth Cole, Prada, Bed Stu, and GBX. So you can look within those brands. You can also venture out and look for something that looks like it. GBX had a decent look alike sole for a while, but that's again out of production. Ebay is your best bet.

For the vest you can make a body block pattern tailored to your son's upper body dimensions and then just add the sleeves and screen details. A web search of "body block pattern" will find all types. I happened to find this one that I felt was pretty easy to understand:
Recreating 16th and 17th Century Clothing: The Renaissance Tailor
If not, you can always look for a cheerleader vest pattern at your local fabric provider that can be altered.

For the flightsuit, you can alter the jumpsuit pattern made by The Green Pepper or reduce the amount of sewing and purchase two long sleeve postal blue Red Kapp coveralls, using one for the double sleeve detail.

Be sure to watch Prada brand shoes as well on ebay because they made some models with the same exact Jango Kenneth Cole soles.

Hope that helps.(y)

I've looked at the fabric swatch from the Dressing the Galaxy book, and the jumpsuit is a lightweight denim. That's why it looks blue in some lighting conditions, and purplish in others.

I've seen the swatch too...don't really think its a light denim, but it is possible. The fabric I used (similar to what Cruzer found) is a brushed linen. I think brushed linen looks pretty spot on.

Either way, the main point is that the fabric is a blue color that has properties/colorations in it that make it appear to have a purple tinge in certain lighting conditions.

That's why the jumpsuits that are colored purple, have never really looked right to me. When those lighting conditions that change the blue to purple are applied to the all purple, it just makes it look closer to Zams shade of purple than that light periwinkle shade that we're all acustomed to seeing.

Question I just got some 6mm braided bolo from M J Trimming...how many rows should I do for my son for his girth belt? He is 10 and about 5-5'1" tall.

I don't have an answer for you since my son is 17... and man sized...

I would personally measure vertically up from where the cod is to where looks right and divide by 6mm..

New Qestion...

What is the best prep for Rub-n-Buff? I'm leaning towards a flat black paint or flat silver paint. I figure the flat paint will give a nice texture for the RnB to adhere to and be a bit forgiving if it gets scratched or scraped.

No, don't do that unless you want a dull silver that's no better than spray paint. You want to use several layers of grey primer and wetsand it with 1000 grit.

The smoother your pre- R&B surface is, the shinier it will be. I used automotive filler primer, wet sanded it, primed, sanded, prime sanded, then R&B. A little goes a long way, go easy it, or it tends to get little clumps.

I'm almost done with my Kid Jango..

SHOES: since its for a kid I don't think accuracy is high on the list, but I wanted a boot that was Jango appropriate. WAGS found these great boots at Target...here is the link..I bought them online...these boots are fabulous...they look sick with the armor on them and the look totally accurate (for a kid)...

http://www.target.com/Champion-Nayde...37173-3019411#

ARMOR: Cruzer is right..I just used Rust-Oleum Metallic Finish. I did all of the armor in no time and it looks fantastic. No. 7718-830: Chrome metallic

FLIGHT SUIT: I had Lady Sew for us do the jumpsuit and vest...very reasonable on the price...or you can go with getting a kid boiler suit on ebay or get them from a company in the UK. Both links below I think are from the same company.

http://cgi.ebay.com/4-5-KIDS-BLUE-B...ewItemQQptZBoy_s_Clothing?hash=item53dd676fb9

http://www.body-clad.co.uk/boiler-suit-overalls--jump-suits-for-children-free--uk-post-374-p.asp

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Kris,

What size are we talking about? I actually start with a kid's animal costume pattern.
On this pattern... http://www.simplicity.com/p-1940-costumes.aspx......This one has a vest pattern on it as well.

If your child is a little larger, you can find one with larger sizes. If you look at the basic jumpsuit on this pattern, it is close to the flightsuit. You will just need to add an extra sleeve. The vest opens in the front, but you can reverse it and cut the front piece as one. Then make some sleeves for the vest.

Mark told me that you were looking into this. :) You can call him if we can help.

Cheers!
Debbi

The smoother your pre- R&B surface is, the shinier it will be. I used automotive filler primer, wet sanded it, primed, sanded, prime sanded, then R&B. A little goes a long way, go easy it, or it tends to get little clumps.

Is all "automotive" primer also "filler" primer, or is there a special filler primer? They sell auto primer at Home Depot, but they had no clue what filler primer was. Would really like to get my hands on some...

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back