FineMolds EII SlaveI 1/72

BobaFettSlave1

Active Hunter
Posted this over on TheMPPC and thought that some people over here may be interested. ill post updates as work goes on
Got this a little over a month ago. This is finemolds 1/72 scale SlaveI as its seen in EII. Finemolds is a great company and this is a beautiful kit but upon further research it seems that FM kind of halfassed the underbelly as seen in EII
they got the general changes in there but lack some of the detail on the changed pieces. the model is now discontinued but some still show up on ebay

anyway im using left over photoetch that i have lying around. mostly White Ensine 1/350 Bismarck etch but theres afew others that will probobly make there way in. The main guns are also being reworked to look more like what we see in the film. nothings real exact but the goal to alteast get it to look like it.
thrown in some shots from the film of the CG slaveI and what changes ive gotten too in my spare time.

Dana

Slave1 Guns.jpg

Slave1 underside2.jpg

Slave1 underside.jpg

Finemolds1.jpg

finemolds2.jpg

Finemolds3.jpg

got alot of work on the seismic charges doors done. the kit comes with two variations of doors. an open set and a closed set. i cut up both and made one set with removable doors so they would be easier to work with. the grates wheel and the hatch on the right are photoetch for a 1/350 Fletcher class destroyer. everything else so far is from the Bismarck photoetch

Dana

finemolds4.jpg

Nice upgrades!
I have this kit and it builds up into a very nice display. I built mine stock and one thing I noticed is that those guns tend to "droop" a bit after sitting for a while. I don't know if there's any way to tighten them up, but it's something to consider unless you plan on gluing them in one position.

ya i found that problem too when putting the hull together. i modified the rod that goes inside the shell and holds the guns last night. i made it shorter so that it brings both the guns in to be almost flush against the hull domes like we see in the film. i also threw some grease that i use on my rifles that has a real tacky consistency to it on the ends of the rod, it holds em in place fairly well now and they move nice and smooth. also keeps the chatter of plastic rubbing on plastic down too

Dana

Last edited by a moderator:
small update. doors are pretty much done. still working on the piece that goes between the two bottom engines and i replaced the styrene pieces on either side of the main engine with more accurate pieces.

slave1.JPG

Ok, got more work done on this puppy. the underside changes are done and Ive started paining her with the light gray color first. Ide say what color is is but im not sure my self its some tamiya mix i made many moons ago. The engines so far are just tamiya gun metal and there's shading over some of the gray where the engines were, That's tamiya smoke which is a clear black. real fun stuff to use.
I did a little more research into Jango's slave one in the film and it appears to be completely missing a part that's on Boba's version and the engine detail underneath is painted a white color. Im kinda surprised ILM made this many differences from the studio model used in ESB.

Dana

Slave1...JPG

missing part.jpg

underside.jpg

the Boba version came in the mail yesterday and i couldn't help but get started building & moding her. she has a few things that need tweaking but mainly little things here & there. one of the main hull pieces needed changing now that its been ID'd as a part from a tamiya jap PT boat and a real good reference pic of it was thrown up. i threw some photoetch grating and doors on the the part to make it look more accurate. ill upload more pictures later

the only thing that still needs moding on the EII slave one is the main guns. sadly the ones in EII are just too different in shape to easily mod the ones that came with the kit (which are the same style as seen on the studio scale model) so they have been cut in half just behind the circle detail and ill make some new backs for them.

Paradox anyone?

ctmpphp77TWc0.jpg

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back