Craigslist Scam???

Hey all,

I recently put a rather expensive item up for sale on Craigslist for what I thought to be an inflated price (wasn't really looking to move the item quickly, just guage interest). To my surprise, I got about 15 emails within a day, from people "very interested" in the item. After a quick reply to all of them, nearly every single prospective buyer had the same story about how they wanted to buy it for a co-worker overseas and said they'd pay to have it shipped there. They all asked for my PayPal information and gave a little pitch about how safe and secure PayPal is. One buyer even had a little "Note" at the bottom of the email that made it seem like the email was coming from PayPal itself.
I understand that me selling this item through PayPal is pretty safe for me, as I can collect the amount of money before I ship the item... but is there anything else people can do with my PayPal info? Anyone else had this happen?

Any suggestions or stories about this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Nick

Well, if they get your paypal email (paypals shouldnt be connected by email IMHO, or there should be another way, they can:

a: loft crack (try a bunch of passwords)
b: send you a 'paypal email asking you to click here to log in and check something' which takes you to www.paypal.com.nexu.au or some similar site that is not really paypal, but looks just like it. You try to log in, it fails the first time, you try again, you use same info, it saves it and they get into your account.
c: They try to get control of that email address through your provider, and then they have the password sent to it.

I dont like posting my paypal email in threads, for these reasons. Not to mention that if you post your paypal email, you get TUNS of spam.

Your best bet is to tell them 'sure, give me your phone number, and Ill call you to discuss the details.'

Never accept a 'deaf buyer' (sorry to any deaf people but scammers use the deaf excuse to hide obvious scammer accents), or ship even after receiving a cashiers check.

Ive seen cashiers checks, be fake, and a month later, the bank remove the money.

This scam is becoming more and more common. I sold a generator lately and had several people wanting to purchase it for a "son" or "relative" who was out of state. They offer extra $ to ship even. It seemed way to good to be true. They all wanted my paypal info. Sorry, local cash sales only on CL for me.

So I shouldn't sell to any of these people, even if I collect my money via PayPal before I ship anything? One of the guys gave me his shipping address and he lives in Nigeria :S

Here's the deal.

For the most part, they will probably send you the money without any problem. However, in may cases these scammers use a stolen credit card. When they do use a legit card, they try and do what is called a "chargeback" through PayPal.

A "chargeback" happens when the customer disagrees with a credit card charge and asks the credit card company for a refund. Customers initiate a "chargeback" through PayPal for a variety of reasons; an item is different from its description or is defective, an item hasn’t been received, a credit card charge isn’t recognized, a payment is processed multiple times, a payment is unauthorized.

They are usually initiated for legitimate reasons, but obviously these dirt bag scammers have no problem lying so they initiate one under false pretenses.

This can be extemelely frustrating for PayPal users, because they WILL in some cases charge the credit card you have on file, or if there is no credit card on file, suspend your account until you pay them or figure out another solution. I have been through this and it is frustrating.

Even though you will probably have the money by the time the buyer initiates a "chargeback", they will have the item and you will be left dealing with PayPal.

Seriously consider whether it is worth selling that way.

To be safe, have them send a money order or a cashiers check, or even have them send cash through registered mail.

Yeah if I were you, I would just say local pick-ups only instead of shipping it. That garauntees safety.....unless of course the people rob you when they come to pick it up :lol:

Yeah if I were you, I would just say local pick-ups only instead of shipping it. That garauntees safety.....unless of course the people rob you when they come to pick it up :lol:

An that's why I use my personal email with SGT Ivan Esau OCPD!!! If its worth their life then they can try and get it...:cheers

yeah I was selling some stuff on craigslist and I had a guy email me saying he wanted to buy everything I was selling and would "have a company pick it up for him" and I should "immediately remove the listing" he'd send me a money order. It would have been convenient, but I said no b/c my gut said no. If it feels like a scam it is a scam, if you have to ask on something like that chances are you're better not selling to them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Craigslist is really going down hill. It is full of bots and scammers. I hate to say it, but maybe they should start charging a small fee to use. Like a dollar. It might keep out a bunch of the spammers and scammers. I sold a pick up canopy and a dozen emails from "extremely interested people" I only wanted 200 bucks and had several people wanting to know if I could ship it for extra $. :confused I held out for anothwer week and some dude came over with a pick up truck and paid me 200 cash. I helped him put the canopy on his truck and he drove away. We were both happy. He got a dang nice canopy at a great price, and I made 200 bucks on something I didn't really need anymore. No Paypal problems or fees. (y)

Craigslist is really going down hill. It is full of bots and scammers. I hate to say it, but maybe they should start charging a small fee to use. Like a dollar. It might keep out a bunch of the spammers and scammers. I sold a pick up canopy and a dozen emails from "extremely interested people" I only wanted 200 bucks and had several people wanting to know if I could ship it for extra $. :confused I held out for anothwer week and some dude came over with a pick up truck and paid me 200 cash. I helped him put the canopy on his truck and he drove away. We were both happy. He got a dang nice canopy at a great price, and I made 200 bucks on something I didn't really need anymore. No Paypal problems or fees. (y)

Amen to that :cheers

I'm selling my PS3 on craigslist and have already had at least 5 of those emails. It's pretty annoying.

Really?

I'm very interested in buying it... but y'see, it's for my co-worker who works overseas... so just send me all your PayPal information and I'll give you $10,000 to ship it. Thanks!

... Sorry, I couldn't resist :D

:cheers

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back