Budget Boba Build

fetts Sobriquet

Jr Hunter
I'm new to this world of building and collecting props and such. I've been lurking in TDH for a month or so, doing research for a restricted budget Boba build. I really want to do Boba for Halloween this year.. We also have a little girl that turns one in a few days so Boba has to be done with limited funds allocated to costuming. This isn't meant to be the most accurate Boba and it will be retired to a mannequin after October 31st, so I'm not overly concerned with accuracy as long as it looks done well.

TDH has been a great resource in my research and building so far and I wasnted to share this project with you guys and gals. I may not be a member that is around much so I wanted to post a thread to thank all of you for your help on this project and for building such a helpful and friendly place for everyone that loves The Fett. I'm just getting started and I plan to be done in a couple of weeks. I'll update this thread with my progress until I'm finished.

Thanks again.

So far I have the helmet and gauntlets nearly finished.

Hobby Lobby had a sale on matt board. One matt board cost me $4.00 and I made it into the helmet using the WOF templates.

2009-08-20Fetthalmetprefiller001640.jpg

2009-08-24_IMG00096640x473.jpg

2009-08-28FettHelmetPrimed001640x48.jpg

2009-08-28FettHelmetPrimed003640x48.jpg

For the gauntlets I bought three large for sale signs. $6.00.

2009-09-07Gauntletbuildstarting0016.jpg

2009-09-07Gauntletbuildstarting0026.jpg

2009-09-07Gauntletbuildstarting0086.jpg

2009-09-07Gauntletbuildstarting0116.jpg

So, this is where I am now. I'll be picking up my sintra at FedEx kinkos today and start heat gunning some armor.

I used lightweight spackle filler for the majority of the dome to even it out and on the mandibles. Before I sprayed primer on it, I covered the entire helmet with a very thin, light coat of bondo brand glazing and spot putty. I used a new flexible putty spreader to get an even coat. Then I sanded it lightly with some 320 grit auto sandpaper. I had the bondo laying around so it was an easy cheap solution to get a smooth finish.

Very nice work. That helmet looks great, and the gaunts are shaping up nicely. You gotta love the Wizard's templates. Ever wonder what life on the Dent was like before they popped up?

I'm having so many issues on a Jodo I'm building, and it's with those gaunts, how did you make yours adhere so cleanly? Are those the paper-thin for-sale signs too, cause that's what I'm using and it's agreeing with me like a rabid weasel...

But everything looks fan-effing-tastic, I'm definitely jealous. You're making it look so easy I think something must be wrong with me or something lol.

I'm using the paper thin for sale sign. The way I got mine to fit together was to assemble each section by dabbing (as few as possible) dots of hotglue then going back and using superglue, a little at a time to get a clean seam where each part meet. This worked well for the top of the gauntlets, probably because all the right angles added strength. Although they are not pictured yet, the bottom clamshells proved to be too thin to work. To resolve this, I used an extra "inner" clamshell, layer bringing the total number of lower clam shell layers of plastic to three. I'll try to get some pics up later.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I have the flame thrower in clamps being glued on now. Tomorrow I'll start on the jet pack and then the armor. I'm not going to put on the greeblies until I finish the jetpack and I'll do all the greeblies together. Hopefully by this weekend I'll have the jetpack in primer. BTW- Does anyone know what the two things at the end of the ROTJ flame thrower are?- Sorry for shamelessly asking, but I did a search and I didn't see it.

Like I posted before, the plastic was too thin for clam shells so I added a third layer.

2009-09-12Gauntletclamshell001640x4.jpg

Here they are heatgun shaped but prior to being stacked and glued.
2009-09-12Gauntletclamshell002640x4.jpg

And here is what we have now:
2009-09-15Gauntletsinprimer001640x4.jpg

2009-09-15Gauntletsinprimer003640x4.jpg

2009-09-15Gauntletsinprimer005640x4.jpg

2009-09-15Gauntletsinprimer007640x4.jpg

2009-09-15Gauntletsinprimer008640x4.jpg

I didn't want to blow my budget on a greeblie, so I made a quick and dirty dental spreader with some left over plastic.

2009-09-15Gauntletsinprimer006640x3.jpg

Project is now at $19.00 for the plastic, cardboard, hinges, paint, and super glue. $23 if you count the bondo spot putty, but I already had that.

Thanks for the info, might start getting mine together soon. From what I've always heard, they're some plumbing attachment for hoses or something. Stormtrooperguy made some a while back (but those he used to make casts), but he used things that looked pretty good, shoot him a PM, he might be able to find out exactly what he put in to spit fire.

Real life sure has a way of getting in the way of projects like these. I have the Jet pack in primer, finally. I made the pack from matt bard, two can sized handi wipe dispensers from Walgreens, two cone home sent things, some cone shaped bottles, and some hobby wood from hobby lobby in various shapes. I used the WOF templates for most of the pack. The finished pack is very far from perfect but it will do for Halloween nicely.

Project cost:
Glue $11.00
Matt board $6.00
Primer $10.00
Spot Putty $9.00
Wood: $9.00
Bottles: $4.00
Jet pack total: $49.00
Project total so far: $72.00

jpclamps.jpg

jpglue.jpg

jpcb2.jpg

jprocket.jpg

jprocket2.jpg

JPfinished.jpg

JPfinished1.jpg

To save time and money a few weeks ago I ordered a flight suit on ebay out of Singapore. The flight suit was acceptable for what I paid and it came with the ammo belt which was also adequate quality. I paid 99.00 plus 28.00 shipping for the suit and the ammo belt. In retrospect I should have just ordered on from the boards but I'm new and I don't know who is reputable and I can't risk shipping delays at this point so close to Halloween. I did have some issues with the flight suit. The sleeve details were correct on this one but he shintool pouches were far too close to the knees. The suit was also the correct height but it was way too baggy. This isn't the sellers fault, I understand some people that are 5'9'' - 6' are a lot heavier than I am and this is not a tailored flight suit. I had to tailor the suit significantly. I brought in the the waist, sleeves, and legs to fit me and I also had to relocate the shintools pouch. In the end I was very pleased with the result but it took a lot of effort to get it the way I wanted.
We are now at $199.00

This picture shows the original location of the shintool pouches.

flightsuitchange.jpg

FS.jpg

I made the spats, pouches, cape, and flack vest / neck seal.

Neck seal attaches in front and vest in back with velcro.

It cost 25 dollars in various materials and thread.

The pup tent ran me 16 dollars on ebay.

Cost is now at $240.00

pouchesspats.jpg

fj.jpg

fjdetails.jpg

fjneckseal.jpg

cape.jpg

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back