Boba Fett Girth - Painted vs Dyed

Art Andrews

Community Founder
Community Staff
I don't know if this info has been posted before (if so, I couldn't find it) but I thought I would share this with you as I found it interesting.

If you look at the girth on the Preproduction 1 Boba Fett Costume, you will see in some photos that the sling gun is held by one of the strands of the girth, which is pulling that strand out of place. It is interesting to note that the strand that is pulled is white in the area where it is pulled away from the vertical retaining lattice.

This makes me think at least on the Preproduction 1, the girth was painted, and not dyed.

Don't know if that helps, hurts, or makes a difference, but thought I would throw it out there.

pp1_girth_01.jpg

pp1_girth_02.jpg

hmmm...
quite possible
It could also have been dyed & the white part has pulled out from under the vertical ribbing and did not take the dye.

Hmm? Pretty cool observation Art.

For what it's worth, I always found it a wee hard to believe that someone went to all the trouble to dye them after experiencing first hand how big of a pain it is to do when I did my first. If they dyed, they had to have made multiple belts because of the difficulties in having to re-dye from another color as the suits matured. Painting would have been much easier/faster.

My subsequent girth belts were all painted :D I don't believe anyone could ever tell the difference. Well, at least no one told me anyway :lol:

hmmm...
It could also have been dyed & the white part has pulled out from under the vertical ribbing and did not take the dye.

I thought about that too. It actually happened to me in one of my attempts. But the white areas that were left, were actually not white. They still absorbed "some" of the dye which made it appear washed out, but not white. Then again, it all depends on how they went about dying I suppose (how thorough they were).

-Chris

I thought about that too. It actually happened to me in one of my attempts. But the white areas that were left, were actually not white. They still absorbed "some" of the dye which made it appear washed out, but not white. Then again, it all depends on how they went about dying I suppose (how thorough they were).

-Chris

A washed out section could look straight up white depending on how it was photographed, so you make a good point either way so it would be hard to know for sure based on photographic evidence. Great observation either way Art. I agree though that painting would have been easier, but based on the detail in this costume, ease may not have been the determining factor of how or why something was done. For what it's worth, I painted mine :p

My thought on this is that the initial girth, the preproduction 1 girth, was most likely painted, but considering that Sandy did a lot of the other girths, I wonder if they weren't dyed. She told me that she dyed the ones she bought.

My thought on this is that the initial girth, the preproduction 1 girth, was most likely painted, but considering that Sandy did a lot of the other girths, I wonder if they weren't dyed. She told me that she dyed the ones she bought.

Well, then it's a pretty good bet that they use dyed I'd say then :lol: I didn't know that 'lil tid bit ;)

-Chris

I know that this has probably been asked and answered but what are the electronics hiding under the cargo pouches in the pics?

I know the BNC connector on the left leg goes to the chest display... The one on the right left, is possibly the XLR for the gauntlet... but it is hard to say from the front.

There's an interesting tidbit. I would say that answers the question. The section in the pictures that looks unpainted could just have not received any dye (or less dye) from being under the center section that holds it all together. It would be kind of like how a tie-dye shirt doesn't receive color in the places where it's tied.

The Tie-dye was exactly what I was thinking to explain this.

On a side note, I don't know why everyone talks about the pain they had dying their girths. I did mine many years ago without nary a problem. Makes me think I must have done something wrong if I'm the only one who got through it without a hitch.

I dyed my first one, it turned pink and from there on out always only used painted. Was so fast to do (literally minutes) and never has to be re-done.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back