How to re-shape A cheap Fiberglass helmet...

pb strangle

Jr Hunter
Seriously warped fiberglass... Is there a way to "Heat-n-shape" Fiberglass?
Or will I have to build a support system inside of the bucket to reconnoiter this dilapidated swill?
-Joe

TowerOfPiza.jpg

Uneven2.jpg

Disasterous, I know.
And the "Dent", for lack of a better description:
a golfing accident

:lol:

i wonder if you could find a small garbage can or something that has similar dimensions to the helmet, you could secure it over the bottom of it and heat it slowly until it took a more symmetrical shape (i.e., conform to the garbage can)?
just an idea... good luck, and if you find a good way to do it, share!

i wonder if you could find a small garbage can or something that has similar dimensions to the helmet, you could secure it over the bottom of it and heat it slowly until it took a more symmetrical shape (i.e., conform to the garbage can)?
just an idea... good luck, and if you find a good way to do it, share!

I would go for a similar approach... Find a small garbage can that's slightly larger than the helmet. Place the helmet in it, put the lid on, and forget about the helmet entirely.

Sorry to be so negative, but that bucket has so much wrong with it that you'd really be better off just abandoning it and getting something different.

I'm fully aware it's a travesty. I figure for H'O'Ween it'll hold me over... I just have to straighten it out. Hmmmmm "Trash-can man"; kind of like oscar the grouches cousin! Worse comes ot worse I'm doing "Ash" From Army Of Darkness... Chainsaw hand? Double barrel shot gun!? That's every man's dream come true!
Thx for the help
-Joe

Fiberglass can be reshaped, but it dries out.

It got in that shape, via heat, and light pressure. And thats how you get it back.

You can use a heat gun or even a blow drier.

Create a riser/stand with a ball on top (so you dont poke an edge in the helmet).

Put a big box over the helmet.

cut a hole in the box at the bottom

let the hot air pour into the box. Not directly on the helme though. You want the air in there get hot, and stay hot. check it every few minutes. Wear gloves.

Once its good and hot, you can take it out, and shape it a little by hand. When you get it close, bent a metal ruler o rsomething, and hot glue it inside. That way that part, wont lose its shape again. Then reheat the helmet, and work on another spot. Its a process, but it will work, and if you ruin it, well, its already ruined. So I wouldnt be concerned about that.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back