First Scratchbuild, Seeking Answers and Advice

Jango987

New Hunter
Hello everyone, I just want to start by saying that I'm very new to the world of helmet building, and all forums in general. So bare with me while I get the hang of this. (Also, I apologize if this is posted in the wrong place or if I haven't done enough browsing. )

So I have a few questions about supplies, as I'm on a pretty limited budget. I've seen some members have built their buckets using a thick cardboard used for framing. Does anyone know if a place such as wal mart would sell something like this? There are no hobby shops where I live, so I'm sort of limited when it comes to certain supplies as well. Also, would something like card stock or the cardboard used to make cereal boxes be strong enough? And could I use drywall mud instead of bondo on the cardboard/card stock build? Which one is cheaper, and easier to work with?

Thanks in avance, any help is greatly appreciated. :)

you can get the frame board at micheal's craft store it's like 6 bucks a sheet you need 3 to be safe. i did that too, but once i cut the visor out it cracked on the bondo line so i'm going to walmart to get a big out door trash can. believe it or not lol. you can use either bondo or spackle but spackle tends to crack. bondo is better. they cost about the same. don't forget super glue i say you get 4 of those double packs at walmart they are 1.97 each. get the gel not the liquid. but yes you can use whatever you can get your hands on to make it. just watch the strengh. Hope that helps you out a little. you did download wizards templates right?
-Jaycen

you can get the frame board at micheal's craft store it's like 6 bucks a sheet you need 3 to be safe. i did that too, but once i cut the visor out it cracked on the bondo line so i'm going to walmart to get a big out door trash can. believe it or not lol. you can use either bondo or spackle but spackle tends to crack. bondo is better. they cost about the same. don't forget super glue i say you get 4 of those double packs at walmart they are 1.97 each. get the gel not the liquid. but yes you can use whatever you can get your hands on to make it. just watch the strengh. Hope that helps you out a little. you did download wizards templates right?
-Jaycen

I don't have a Michael's here, so I'll have to look around and see if we at least have a craft store. Next time I'm out I'll definitely get some of that super glue though. And yes, I do have wizard's templates. Thanks for your help!

Hi, you could get your cardboard for free from any print shop...if u have some around...the paper companies use these thick cardboard sheets (1,5 to 2mm) to protect the paper while delivered.In my print shop I throw away about 5 of them every days! Instead of bondo,I use drydex ($5) and any acrylic latex primer-sealer (rona brand $6) for the finish... and white glue ($3) need a lot of patience to cut the cardboard but u will get a better and more rigid helmet...

Hi, you could get your cardboard for free from any print shop...if u have some around...the paper companies use these thick cardboard sheets (1,5 to 2mm) to protect the paper while delivered.In my print shop I throw away about 5 of them every days! Instead of bondo,I use drydex ($5) and any acrylic latex primer-sealer (rona brand $6) for the finish... and white glue ($3) need a lot of patience to cut the cardboard but u will get a better and more rigid helmet...

Thanks for the tips! Much appreciated! (y)

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back