My snow mando - Finished!

Today I added the grime to the crevices of the armor. I did this by shaving the tip of a brown color pencil (didn't have any chalk) to make fine powder. Then I took a napkin dipped in water and barely wet the edges of the paint. While wet, I dipped my finger into the powder then rubbed it against the edge of the paint. Then repeated until I got the desired build-up.

Painted13.jpg

Painted14.jpg

Painted15.jpg

That just about does it for the chest pieces. All I have left to do is apply a clear coat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's pics of all the plates dirtied up. And a pic of before for comparison.

Although the dirt is subtle, it gives the paint incredible depth and makes it look fantastic up close.

Painted16.jpg

Painted17.jpg

Clean plates....BOOOO!!
Painted9.jpg

I got my boots today! I ordered them from one of the star wars halloween costume sites (can't remember which one). They're pretty good, better than what I thought they would be....but they're still a little cheap. The only thing I think I will have to do to them is put a strap around the top to keep them tight because even with my suit tucked in theres still about 1 inch of extra room.

Boots1.jpg

Boots.jpg

Oh, I like those, if you remember where you got them, lemme know so I can get a pair... I can put some armor on them to give 'em hard boot look.
Are the pants Dickies painters pants?

More Updates!

Got the legs finished at an armor party yesterday. The shins have been extended to cover the knee eliminating my need for knee armor. And the foot plates attach directly to the shins.

Started painted the leg pieces today. So far I've got the primer, 4 coats of black, and the masking pulled off. This time around i'm going to let the paint dry for about a day before putting more masking on there. So I should have the white coats on there tomorrow.
Shins.jpg

Shins1.jpg

Thighs.jpg

Sorry for the blur in this pic..
Bottom.jpg

Painted18.jpg

Painted19.jpg

quick question for ya. I don't see it in any of the above posts, or I may not just be looking hard enough.
What did you use as your masking? I think I saw you say masking fluid... not sure though.
thanks
-nevu

Very nicely done. Top notch work, especially the metal work (though your weathering's pretty impressive, too).

quick question for ya. I don't see it in any of the above posts, or I may not just be looking hard enough.
What did you use as your masking? I think I saw you say masking fluid... not sure though.
thanks
-nevu

Yeah I used liquid masking, can't remember the brand name. But I'm a little displeased with it. Even after letting the black coat of paint dry for a day before reapplying the mask it still pulled up most of the black in the end. Or maybe I'm not using it right.

Very nicely done. Top notch work, especially the metal work (though your weathering's pretty impressive, too).

Thanks! I'm very impressed with how the pieces turned out because I was learning as I went. But I had Novall watching over me so I couldn't mess up too bad, and he would step in and lend a hand when I did mess up.

And the weathering turned out better than I thought, I just started roughing up the pieces with sandpaper and made it look really worn.

Everything is good and dirty now. Only thing left to do is throw a couple of clear coats on there and these pieces will be done. Would've taken more pictures but the batteries in my camera went dead.

Painted26.jpg

Painted27.jpg

Painted28.jpg

ALMOST done with the armor!!

Wow, thats a lot of work and it shows.

Oh trust me, you have no idea how many evenings we left the shop with sore hands. I'm never making armor pieces as big as that shin armor out of thick aluminum again. :cry

All thats left is the cod piece and diamond..both of which should be fairly easy to do.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back