My snow mando - Finished!

hey Lifeburn, does the rubies 2 piece fit good? I have a large head, and I cant get my glasses into the "rubber" rubies.

Yeah it's pretty big. I have a good size head and before the padding was in it bobbled back and forth on my head.

But I only plan on wearing this helmet once so I didn't really care about the size. After I get my halmet from GB this thing is just going to be a display.

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah, I plan on making display buckets, so I guess the 2 piece will work to save me time making the buckets.
THX 4 info.

Almost finished!

Done painting the gaunts, added some black charcoal to dirty them up a little. Next I will add brown charcoal in the crevices for more dirt, then add the clear coat and gaunts will be done for now (adding greeblies later).

Got the base layer and black layers onto the helmet. Next will be the white coat and same process as the gaunts.

PaintedGaunts1.jpg

PaintedGaunts2.jpg

BlackBucket.jpg

Great theme, I was always partial to the snow stuff...prob cause I watched ESB so many times I wore out 3 VHS tapes!

Seeing your metal armor made me start thinking about making my own. I was in Lowes buying stuff for our kits and stumbled across the metal sheets. You have inspired me to do my 2nd set in metal. I just got one question, when you lined up the templates on the metal sheets, did you just use tin snips to cut out the plates? The 24 gauge looks thin enough to do that.

Yeah you can definitely use tin snips for that. My armor is 14 gauge so I had to use an electric metal cutter, not sure what its called.

I tried suiting myself up today but its not possible. So I put on what I could and got a pic. Keep in mind that this is still not finished. Heres what else I need to do to it:

Attach the chest diamond to vest.
Use white wraps around biceps to cover some of the bagginess.
Use white wraps around shins and knees to fix bagginess around the knees.
Weather the kama.

Thats all I can think of right now. Everything else is done. Couldnt get the girth belt on by myself so its not in the pic, and still need to add a strap to the cod piece so it is wearable.

Suited.jpg

Let me know what you think.

Dude I LOVE IT, it looks awesome.
Are you gonna put wires from the gaunts somewhere into the suit?

Suited.jpg

This looks great. I was considering using metal to make a suit, but dismissed the idea as too difficult for me, thinking I had the wrong tools. Your process is making me rething that, however. Still, onward and upward with plaster for me.

I really enjoy the complicated weathering on the entire suit. it gives it a really great well used/intelegently camoflaged look.

Dude I LOVE IT, it looks awesome.
Are you gonna put wires from the gaunts somewhere into the suit?

I haven't planned on putting tubes on the gaunts but that may change in the future.

This looks great. I was considering using metal to make a suit, but dismissed the idea as too difficult for me, thinking I had the wrong tools. Your process is making me rething that, however. Still, onward and upward with plaster for me.

I really enjoy the complicated weathering on the entire suit. it gives it a really great well used/intelegently camoflaged look.

Thanks! Forming metal takes a little time to get used to but it does get easier. I felt really comfortable doing it after about 2 or 3 pieces.

WOW! It's looking great, Fantastic build

Thanks alot!

I bought one of the 2 piece rubies that i have modified and it fits just fine if any thing you will need to add something for your head to be steady in. I found using closed cell neoprene works best. I will try and post a few pictures of what my armor is looking like. hope that helps. oh BTW..If you can get some type of lense material for the rubies helmet it would help as the lens is too light.

Mirror tint for the lens would look super cool, I suggest a colored mirror, even behind the light gray it'll look subtle but COOL.

Hey Papa Tone, can you do me a favor... Or Lifeburn, could one of you measure the open space between ear caps and between visor and key slot for me, then I will know if my fat melon will fit :lol: in a 2 piece. Thanks in advance

I actually entered a costume contest at my college today with my unfinished mando lol. But the voting was wierd. We had to walk around campus collecting money from people and whoever had the most money at the end won. Which when you think about it it has nothing to do with the costumes. Anyway, I came in second place because I got there late and didn't have a lot of time to raise money. Still won $15 though, whoopty freakin doo! First place went to one of my friends in a Master Chief outfit.

It was still alot of fun though. It was a good test run for my armor to make sure everything stayed attached while I walked around.

Costume.jpg

And Adonian, I'll get the measurements later today.

Thanks Vod.

When I finally finish mine, I'll have black gloves, boots and ammo belts, otherwise same color as yours.

Gotta love the whiteness ;)

Here are the measurements for the Rubies 2-piece.

Ear to Ear - 9"
Front to Back = 10 1/4"
And from bottom to top is about 9"

Hope that helps

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back