ESB FP v.3 progress: KNEES AND SHOULDERS

Here are the results!

I tried to follow DarthMiller´s thread with the different shades of green on the armor. Don´t know if a got it though.

Still have to add a wash and all that, so I went a little light on the misting.

Give me you verdict!

DSC_0001-14.jpg

DSC_0002-13.jpg

DSC_0003-9.jpg

DSC_0004-9.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, added a bit more grimey black, since the colors faded a bit when they dried. Just let it dry til tomorrow and then I can add the yellow and decal before I do a blackwash as a finishing touch before I seal it all in.

Thanks a lot guys!

How long does the Model Master paints need to cure before adding decals and stuff? Is it enough for it to sit for 5-6 hours or does it need a day or two? Testors.com is kinda lacking info on this point.

It's looking great! "Curing" depends on the amount of coats inbetween and if any "Dullcote" was used. I'd wait a few days to be safe although you're not going to be removing decals. If your talking masking off anything then I'd wait the few days. If you're just talking a chest & shoulder decal, overnight should be fine.

Steve

Hey Nice job...

The back plate Dent (upper right) is not on the ESB Armor you can fill it if you want.. just a FYI

I usually fill in both dents, I went frame by frame through ESB and couldn't find the lower dent, but I assume it's not there either.

Finally satisfied with the shading on these. Still have the center diamond to paint, but I have to do some paintmixing to get a good green first.

I´m considering adding a blackwash on the armor plates as well, but I am not 100% convinced I need it. Any feedback on this would be a great help, since it´s almost impossible to see from others pics if there is a blackwash present. Flashes from cameras and stuff have a tendency to wash it out in pics.

I really wanted to start painting the knees and shoulders tonight, but I am missing the base yellow, so I´m not sure if I can get away with using only yellow zinc chromite. Anyone? :) I might be able to mix some white and yellow to get that really light yellow base layer though.

Any input is welcomed with open arms.

Now, on to the pics!! I hope I do the Fett justice with this (fingers crossed).

DSC_0002-14.jpg

DSC_0001-15.jpg

Your paintjob so far looks quite good!!! Right amount of misting, and in the right places etc. I always do a blackwash, but thats totally up to you. I don't think anyone can diffinitively say if that was done on the ESB armour or not, but I feel that it finnishes the set.

As far as your shoulders/knees, were it me, I would wait for the correct base colors, but thats just me. if you think you can get close enough with mixing, give it a shot!!!!:)
D

Thanks for the kind words bro!

I´ll see if I can get them ordered. I just need to find a new place that supplies Model Masters, ´cause the last vendor I used took 6 weeks just to ship the paints. Sadly I have yet to find a store in Norway that sells this brand of paint.

I´ll try some mixes tonight and do some tests to see if I get it right. If not, I´ll order some more paint ASAP.

As for the wash, I too feel it kinda finishes off the paint job. And yes, seeing a wash on pics is next to impossible. It fades out in the flash most times. I guess I´ll go for a really light wash to be on the safer side. I really don´t want to ruin the work:)

When making wash with acrylics, can you just dilute it with water, same as when you thin it?

When doing a wash, i generally use windshield wiper fluid. I'm guessing you can find that across the pond. Its the blue stuff that comes in big jug. Over here its blue anyway, although I've heard that over there they also have green. Premis behind that, is that it dries much faster, and doesn't pool as much.

If you are going to order paints, i would try to get floquil or pollyscales rather than testors, but I dunno what the availablity for those is where you are???

Keep up the good work!!!!
D

When doing a wash, i generally use windshield wiper fluid. I'm guessing you can find that across the pond. Its the blue stuff that comes in big jug. Over here its blue anyway, although I've heard that over there they also have green. Premis behind that, is that it dries much faster, and doesn't pool as much.

If you are going to order paints, i would try to get floquil or pollyscales rather than testors, but I dunno what the availablity for those is where you are???

Keep up the good work!!!!
D

I have something called red spirit here, which I used on my helmet when doing the wash. It evaporates just as fast as windshield wiper fluid and the likes. In Norway (as far as I know) there is not a single store that sells Model Master, Floquil or Polly Scale. Only Vallejo and Humbrol of known brands more or less.

I´ll keep up the good work though. I might try mixing some paints later. I like taking a few chances, adds a bit excitement to the whole process:) And in my case also has allowed me to get some decent results since I´m not experienced in painting, I need to be willing to experiment once in a while. Hehe.

Here´s the finished paintjob on some of the parts, just clear coat left. Still have to finish up the back, diamond and butt though.

DSC_0001-16.jpg

Wow bro, that is coming along great! (y) If you're still having a hard time finding the color for the knees, you can also switch up to rattlecans. There are some good sticky color threads in the armor section. Again, awesome job so far; keep us posted!

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back