Make Jetpack Cheaply

Dan Viking

New Hunter
Hello I am new and am planning on going to COmic-Con Next Year as a Mandalorian Character. Just one problem. I dont know how to make a jetpack cheaply. I have a low bidget and need assistance or suggestions. Anything will help. oh and I need ideas for a cholor scheme. I was thinking black plates with a violet trim but I have no software to put that into an image.:jetpack

Does that mean you have everything else for your Mando?

You could make a jetpack from 2 water bottles, some card and a tubular item that could be a rocket or anything else:)

There is the mandomaker too, I don't have the link at hand, but I'm sure one of my vode will help out on that front, or you could pop onto the mando mercs for the link.

You don't have to have a pack, You could always try omething different, like the Concept Boba Pack.

For colour schemes, I would stay away from black, just a little too obvious? Maybe check out the mandos in the upcoming clone wars for ideas?

haha, well, I'm one with black and red (call me cliche, but they're my favorite colors anyways). But my jetpack wasn't too pricey to make. You can check out other pics pics of it on my set here: http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/showthread.php?t=33605

But my basic thing was a plastic storage bin from Target which like $8. Some PVC tubing $5, and then the details, which probably in all consisted of a bit more PVC, some sintra, and a few other random things. For stability I added some wood pieces inside. The most expensive pieces were the model rocket tops which cost 4 for $12 at the hobby store... so not overly expensive, but all in all the total jetpack cost no more than $50. Of course you build it yourself which takes time and energy, but I had a lot of fun making it.

SDCC_2009_010.jpg

my original pack i built for free.

i used several pieces of cardboard, some tubes, and than fiberglassed the whole thing.
lasted a few years. it was bolted directly to my backplate.

this is the only pic i have left of it.
coltjay.jpg

How does your main rocket piece attach inside of the box? What wood attachments did you do?

I'm guessing you were talking to me cause of the wood part of the question.

Inside, the tube extends into the main housing and then honestly, its an ugly wood setup. Sort of a Ushape that just stabalizes it a bit. The tube rests on a flat piece which then connects to two pieces that connect to the top.

The sides have two wood panels that fit the basic length of the side of the box. Like the sides of a capital H. Then I put two dowels on the top and bottom in between the two side panels.

Now that i think about it, I should have had another connector between the side panels that the missile could rest on... oh well.

The only problem is that it adds a bit of weight, which can make your back a bit sore after a long day of trooping. I've been thinking of cutting out some wholes to lighten the load just a bit but still keep the stability

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back