Air Brush Kits

DeepCFett

Jr Hunter
Hey everyone,

I just realized that I've invested way too much money into building up my ROTJ outfit to just rattle can it. After much inner debate with myself I've decided to invest in an airbrush. I've worked with them before while i was in the navy. I feel pretty accomplished in my rattle can painting skills, but i think an air brush is just more professional

So to the point, what kits are out there that you guys think are the best. Quality and price wise, i've started searching the internet. Advice from people that have used certain models I think is better than looking at advertisments!

Thanks every one
:cheers

I really like Iwata's stuff. Their airbrushes are well made and versitle. I use their eclipse revolution model (specifically the siphon feed bottle style). I also have their Smart Jet compressor and it gets the job done. I would like one of their larger compressors but that is just a preferance sort of thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've spent over $6K on my Fett suit and there's not a bit of airbrushing in sight ;)

your buckets look pretty nice!! I was thinking about using the airbrush to weather the soft parts more. I'd have better control of the paint with an airbrush than with rattle cans, I think it might just make it alot easier???

I'll all about adding the krylon touch to everything though!:cheers

Hey, wait. You need to know that the compressor is so importan as the airbrush!

When you're painting you don't want a strong noise or an overheating engine, do you?

To avoid it you need.... I don't know how you (English speakers) name it, but the direct translation from Spanish is "little cauldron". Well, assuming that's the correct name for it you need a cauldron for your compressor.

What is its function? Well, the compressor pushes the air, right? but if it does directly to the the airbrush it's very probable you get a intermittent air output (imagine the gas that a motorcycle ejects from its exhaust pipe). Having a cauldron you can load it with compressed air and then paint with a continue flow of air, and you can switch off the compressor when painting --> that will help you to paint in a quiet atmosphere

You can see in the following link a nice compressor. I'm quite sure you can get a similar one in e-bay.com (not .es) or your nearest DIY store.

A good compressor

About the airbrushes... there's no need to spend a lot if you're not going to paint very small free-hands. If you want to get a clear armor with a smooth surface you can get an airbrush for 30USD or so.

The usuall needle that the 28mm miniatures painters use is the 2mm needle. If they need paint tanks or something bigger than a 28mm human-sized miniature they go with the 3mm needle. So if you buy a 3mm or thicker needle I think you get a paintjob for what you want.

Oh, about the kind of paint... Vallejo Airbrush paints are great, but you can use any other water based paints if you mix them with distilled water (I never try using acrylic paints)

I recommend you reading tutorials about how an airbrush works, how to clean it, and how to paint with them... youtube is a good resource of information too.

I hope that it helps.

I really like Iwata's stuff. Their airbrushes are well made and versitle. I use their eclipse revolution model (specifically the siphon feed bottle style). I also have their Smart Jet compressor and it gets the job done. I would like one of their larger compressors but that is just a preferance sort of thing.

Thats the same airbrush i use. I like it, although it took some getting used to. I agree that the compressor is very important as well. I ordered mine from a place on ebay about a year ago as a compressor/airbrush kit (basically, the iwatta airbrush, but with an off-brand compressor.). Since then, I am on my 3rd compressor!!!!!!!!!!!! They have a 1 year warranty, so they keep sending me new ones free of charge, but it usually takes me 2 weeks to get em, which can be a headache when you are in the groove & wanna get stuff done.!!!! But yeah, as far as airbrushes, you can't go wrong with Iwatta. I dunno what you wanna use for a compressor though???? I wish i would have bought the Iwatta compressor as well, as the cheapy off-brand isn't worth the hassle.
D

My compressor is from Iwata as well and it's great. I have had it for several years now and never had a problem with it. The only problem I have had is with the hoses I keep managing to break them but that is likley my fault and it's a cheap and easy replacement. I got the Smart Jet compressor becuase it has auto-shutoff, meaning if I stop using it it shuts itself off. It's not super noisey, it's probally the quitest compressor I have heard. The best part is it's small. I can pick it up and take it anywhere I need to go.

While you can go cheap and get stuff for next to nothing if you spend a bit more on quality equipment then you won't be replacing it nearly as often and once your skills get better you will find that you won't need to buy a new airbrush to do more things. My Eclipse can paint anything from big backgrounds and what not down to nearly hair sized lines if I so desire. I have painted everything from big sets of armor down to people and everything in between.

awesome thanks guys, i'm a commercial diver and have alot of experience with compressors. we use them to breath on, i'm pretty well versed. the ones with an auto shut off and a volume tank is what i'm looking for, that way your paint doesn't shutter when the compressor is making air. a good water separator is a must as well, i had a horrible experience painting a motorcycle with out the separator, pretty much ruined my work. thaks guys!

Also do you guys use the airbrushes with the paint on the bottom or the gravity feed brushes?

I think i'm going to go with this deal i just dont know which brush to get?

http://www.chicagoairbrushsupply.com/iwre.html

I use the BCR version that has the siphon feed bottle...but if I were going to buy a new brush it would be the CR (with the large gravity feed), it's a bit eaiser to clean and you can use less paint if you need smaller projects. Also it's a bit easier to hold, and if you get one of the inline moisture traps that go up at the brush it actually fits on there. On the bottom bottle kind the moisture trap doesn't really fit.

yeah i was remember in the navy when we would paint we always complained about how we should have the gravity feed guns instead of the siphon ones...that's what i'm going to go with, I do alot of different project that require me to paint, so this will run for miles....and it's another good excuse for me to buy a new motorcycle!!

I use an old paasche airbrush kit that my uncle just gave me one day and its been great to use; course I'm still working at getting better with it as well as knowing the ins and outs of airbrushing itself.

I kinda like that first set youposted from e-Bay. It might not be as nice as the Iwata (or even my old Badger), but I like the fact that you get a gravity- and syphon-fed unit (and both are dual action...which makes things so much easier) as well as an external mix unit. But, then again, I do lots of different kinds of stuff and could really use each of those. External mix units are great for thicker stuff like latex, especially when you don't need a fine line (think skinning muscle suits).

I just picked up a nice compressor from my dad. It was a little small for what he needed, but just about perfect for my needs. I can't remember who makes it at the moment, but it is blue and has a couple small tanks on it. I like it because it has a built-in output pressure regulator so you can easily change from high to low shooting pressures. The tanks help keep the pressure steady and it kicks in to keep them full. A little noisey, but good for me.

I use a Badger 150. Its a great double action brush, easy to use, easy to clean, and easy to get parts and accessories for. I got mine at AC Moore. I think the price was around $125 but I had a 40% any item coupon, so I think I got it around $78 with tax. For compressor, I use my big Craftsman 33gal. I have 3 regs coming off it. I keep one set around 40lbs for blowing up bike tires, swimming pools, etc. One is set higher for airtools. One is set for 15-20lbs with a moisture trap for the airbrushes. Its worked great for me, plus the tank is huge so I don't have to listen to the motor run at all while I am painting.

I use a Badger 150. Its a great double action brush, easy to use, easy to clean, and easy to get parts and accessories for. I got mine at AC Moore. I think the price was around $125 but I had a 40% any item coupon, so I think I got it around $78 with tax. For compressor, I use my big Craftsman 33gal. I have 3 regs coming off it. I keep one set around 40lbs for blowing up bike tires, swimming pools, etc. One is set higher for airtools. One is set for 15-20lbs with a moisture trap for the airbrushes. Its worked great for me, plus the tank is huge so I don't have to listen to the motor run at all while I am painting.

I was just about to say the same thing... AC Moore has 40% off coupons in their weekly flyer. I shopped there last weekend and got a 50% off coupon that I plan to use to buy a new compressor tomorrow.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back