My first moulding and casting project so i have a few questions

Ziggy

New Hunter
Hello everyone its me again! Okay so most of you know that i want to make casts out of a H&K MP-7 (for something i shall not say) here is what i have to ask.

1: The Mould Part:
Is there something that is similar to silicone rubber but less expensive? I'm going to make two parts of each side so I need to find something in somewhat great quantity.

2: A Substitute for Resin?:
Would Bondo work for replacing casting resin, since resin is so expensive (like $30 for 2 oz). Or is there anything els like a liquid two part abs plastic thing?

Help will be greatly appreciated!

~Ziggy

There are all different grade rubbers, I would suggest a brushable silicone, that way you can paint on a couple layers, and then use a shell coat, to make the mold, and you wont use that much rubber.

As for resins, you can get two gallons for about 80 bucks.

I would check out alumilite.com, or smoothon.com

alumlilites products are much higher quality, but smoothon is a little cheaper (because they put cheaper additives in).

Doing a 2 piece brush on mold of a an HK should cost you about 100 bucks. its more difficult than a cut open block mold but uses a lot less materials. A block mold, doen from a cheap silicone will cost about 2x as much.

Theres really no way to go cheaper. I suggest watching a lot of tutorials before you start.

i can't imagine the mold costing less than $100. i'd guess more like $200 - $250 when its all said and done. i'd buy a gallon kit of the silicone (2 gallons total), then something for the jacket (plastipaste? around $75 i think)

$30 for 2 oz of resin though? where are you shopping? i pay $80 for 2 gallons at smooth-on.com.

Stormtrooperguy, I was thinking about the same.

If your doing a squish, it will be both halves the gun.

You could get a gallon of something that wont inhibit, but is brushable, do 5 coats, till its a half inch thick, build up with a thixotropic in spots, make a mother mold/sleeve out of plasti, actually alumilite has a better product than plasti IMHO. They have a skin coat, a skin coat flex, and now a ultralite hard coat. The skin coat doesnt get all sharp and nasty like the plasti paste does, and you can even make parts out of it.

Regardless your looking at a few hundred. You could get a cheap thing of fiberglass/kit from walmart for 20 for the hard coat to cut corners, but its a little more difficult to use than the hardening coat products.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back