How do I even start

sevor

New Hunter
Hi everyone... I am new to both the tread and the world of costuming. In fact this is my first post. My question is with all of the techniques and materials to use how does one start. I am wanting to make a clone trooper build and am a huge star wars fan. I am determined to get it done no matter how long. I am just very excited to learn how. I just dont know where to begin. Any help and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Hello sevor, welcome aboard.

The best advice is "Use the Search Button, Luke..." :p Type 'clone armor' or something similar and you will find a lot of post about clone armor building.

Beware, finish a clone armor is not an easy task... nor cheap, you will spend more than $1000.

You can see many tutorials on www.clonetroopers.net and www.clone-empire.com I learn it from there ;)

If you want to start buying something go to the nearest DIY store and buy:
a heat gun, smooth sandpaper, a Dremel (or any other spinning-cutting tool from your favourite brand) a gas mask (yes, gas mask, not dust mask) and ... some body filler like Bondo if you're in the States or Isopon if you're in UK.

After reading all posts about armor I'm sure you'll know who makes what and you can PM them and start ordering some things.

Oh, forget buying from recasters like the known StarFortressProductions or other scum that usually use e-bay to sell things. Do not buy anything if you're not sure who's the original maker of that piece. Recasters might have props that seems good for the price they ask, but please, understand that supporting rescasters means support the end of creativity.

Regards,
Santiago.

Hi Sevor,
All good info from Santiago. Also, take a look at this thread
http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/showthread.php?t=17421

I can add to the purchasing plan. Do make sure you get references for the person or business you plan to buy from. You can search just about anything here and find your answer.

Ask, Ask, Ask, and ask some more, and be certain before you put out hard earned money. There are so many wonderful helpful people here on TDH, but you will find the rare circumstance, where you may be less than happy with a purchase. Be careful, research a lot and mostly have fun!!

Debbi

I guess what I mean is I don't want to buy pre-made parts. I would like to learn how to make it from scratch. For instance, if I am making a helmet do I start with a cardboard type material then apply bondo to it then smooth, sand, smooth, rinse, repeat until it is ready?? then add something else.. I dunno plz help.

Thx!!!!

For instance, if I am making a helmet do I start with a cardboard type material then apply bondo to it then smooth, sand, smooth, rinse, repeat until it is ready?? then add something else.. I dunno plz help.

I don't know very much about scratchbuilding, but I do know you must have A LOT of patience... and yes, that's the way to get a clone helmet from cardboard. ;)

You really need to be dedicated to build clone armor from scratch. The nuances and overall geomeetry is very complicated. The cardboard/bondo thing will leave you with a massive disaster and good money spent that could have been allocated toward a kit.

Like they say, every journey starts with it's first step. You need to be over on CT net as there's just about everything you need to know about any kind of clone over there. If ya wanna make your own armor, then best of luck with that. I cant say I ever had the time or patience. However, people who do get the greatest praise and walk a little bit taller than the rest of us.

You really need to be dedicated to build clone armor from scratch. The nuances and overall geomeetry is very complicated. The cardboard/bondo thing will leave you with a massive disaster and good money spent that could have been allocated toward a kit.

that.

i'm still working on my scratch build suit. i've put in around 10 - 40 hours a week since november of last year on it, and i'm almost done.

over the course of the project i've spent enough to have bought 3-4 kits. not counting tools, i'd say i've spent about $1500 making the bucks. counting tools, make it more like $2000. then all the plastic i've used prototyping... probably a few hundred dollars there. and that's all to get to where i have 1 suit to wear.

so my advice is to only scratch build it if you REALLY want the experience of doing it, and don't mind taking 1-2 years to actually have something you can wear.

otherwise, there are AWESOME kits out there, readily available. just get one of those and save yourself a couple thousand dollars.

I have to admit i have been trying to build mine from scratch to and it has been taking me a while but i know people that have bought the kits and me being a tall guy can make it hard for me to spend even a few hundred dollers of something that makes me look like im trying to fit in my kids clothes. not only am i scratch building mine for the experiance but its also like a hobby and im not spending a lot of money at once just over a a period of time and since your taking the time to do it rite you also get the sweet costume feel to go with it .

Starting is easy; finishing is hard.

Here is the best starting place for any builder: http://www.modelersnotebook.com/

It is in its second printing and I think every builder should have this in his library. No, I am not getting a kickback for promoting it. I have this book, and it is very well written and illustrated. It is a wealth of knowledge.

My second recommendation is to build in 1:4 scale. You don't need to be perfect, because you aren't going to wear it. It is just for practice. Anything you make will be quicker and cheaper, and you'll learn pretty quick if you are making headway, or need to try something different.

If you start with a 1:4 scale helmet, you can try out different methods and find one you like. Then make a practice mold using much less material.

Good luck.

So, scratch building a clone... Now that I'm done, my best recommendation is "don't do it" ;)

I spent about a year working on mine. And that is a year of spending at LEAST 10 - 12 hours a week on it, usually a LOT more. There were periods where I spent 4 hours a night after work and all day Saturday and Sunday for several weeks at a stretch.

I probably spent about $1500 - $2000 on supplies during the project (MDF, bondo, sandpaper, saw blades, sheets of plastic, etc...), and that's not counting having ready access to the vacuforming machine and general shop tools (sanders, saws, etc...).

That's a LOT more than you'd spend on a kit, so unless you REALLY want to have the experience, it's just not worth it for one suit. In my case I made 23 of them, so that sort of averaged out a bit.

Hi all. Newbie too here. Was thinking of starting on the less significant parts of the suit first. What's advisable for a green horn to do? The DC15 first perhaps? of the gaunlets? I'm about old enough to join the 501st garrison in my district but they're kinda dying so no support from them. YOU'RE MY ONLY HOPE *GUYS*. Please help.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back