GI Joe

My son and I saw it again last night and we still enjoyed the experience. My favorite scene is still Snake Eyes' first appearance. Yes it could have been done better and they could have casted some of the main Joe roles better. But in the end it was still entertaining and humorous...and all without stooping to the the crude/vulgar lows TF2 did.

Well now I have to agree that I really apppreciated the lack of sexual or bodily fuction jokes in GI Joe... and you know.. I think if I was going with a young kid, I might enjoy it more through them, because I know I would have LOVED it as a kid. Cruzer did you feel like any of it was a bit too graphically violent for a kid? I thought some of the scenes were just a big jarring compared to the overall movie.

I didn't think anything was bad for my 12 year old, but we also enjoy movies like the LOTRs, Gladiator, and various martial arts movies together. Plus we go and see pretty much every comic book based movie. So he's been exposed to quite a bit with the exception of blood and gore slasher type movies that we don't care for. Personally I feel they did a really good job of keeping it appropriate for younger viewers. TF2 was entertaining but also dissapointing for parents like mysef who wanted to expose their children to a cool Transformers movie...but not all of the sexual/vulgur stuff.:facepalm

Now that you mention it, I think I can enjoy G.I. Joe more because I am watching it with my son. I hear him laughing, we look at each other in nodding confirmation during the cool parts, and can sit back and enjoy the movie as clean big-kid/adult appropriate entertainment.(y)

I've seen it with my GF and with a goup of friends '9 to be exact' on opening night. I got to say we had a great time. The movie was good not Fantastic but good. Not sure I would see it again though. I'll probably wait till it arrives and released on DVD. I just wished there were a bit more action. Favorite character is Snake Eyes. I liked how they showed his history background. :)

good movie . the guy that played duke , his acting is good in teen movies not in this one, the baroness and snake eyes tottally makeit worth seeing oh and that scarlet fake *** bike shase totally unesessary.didnt the baroness have on accent?

I went into this movie with the absolute lowest expectations. I did not expect to enjoy this movie. It turned out to be quite entertaining. Don't let the tv ads turn u away from this one.

My son and I we love the movie, he is 8 years old, and probably we are going to see it again but in the Auto cine, now my son said "i have another hero at home", when i put my snake eyes costume.

So I was talking to Mirax today about the last battle with storm shadow / snake eyes...

SPOILER!!! SKIP THIS IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE MOVIE!

And she totally missed stormshadow snapping his swords together to make a single double bladed staff. As with that entire scene... it really seemed very Ep I... and I liked it! Now I have to figure how to make my storm shadow swords shap together as well!!!

END SPOILER! YOU CAN RESUMER READING NOW!!!

You had mentioned those silver things on his back. It looked to me like he only wore them in that final scene with Stormshadow. Almost as though he knew he would need that that one time but not any other...odd.

I
I did think it was funny to see both Brendan Fraiser and "Beni" from the Mummy in the movie...

The Mummy himself was in it too. :D He played Zartan. And Heavy Duty was in The Mummy Returns. I love The Mummy movies and I liked seeing those guys in there. Especially Brendan Fraser. I wish he had a bigger part, he's a great actor.

My husband and I really liked the movie. He can't decide if he wants to be Storm Shadow or Snake Eyes. And I'm sure he'll try to talk me into being the Baroness. Kudos, to Sienna Miller for kicking butt in skin tight vinyl or whatever it was and high heels.

I know we both appreciated that they kept it clean and there was no vulgarness or sexual undertones. I do remember thinking that there was a lot of language and maybe a little too much blood for a "family movie", but we enjoyed it. The main reason I went was because I grew up with G.I. Joe and because Ray Park was in it. He was freaking awesome!!!!! (y)

Saw it yesterday with the misses and we both enjoyed it. It was a fun way to spend a hot, Sunday morning. Of course, just about everything was preposterous to the extreme, but I think Art nailed it in that it should've been either a pure kid's movie or a more adult action flick (with more believable content).

I could go on and on about this or that, I'd love to discuss Rex, but don't want to spoil anything.

Costume wise, I was really intrigued by the Neo-Vipers. The static burst in their mics reminded me of Stormtroopers, and I came to actually like their design, whereas before I hated it. Might make a fun project to tackle later this year, and besides, I already have the New Rock boots they were wearing. That's almost $250 there.

The Neo-Vipers were pretty cool. I liked their "backstory" and their armor could withstand a lot of bullet hits to it. Very powerful.

Rambling on....
It wasn't the GI JOE comic/toy line I grew up on, but as a stand alone movie for a new generation of young boys and their action figures, it was decent enough. I didn't absolutely love it, but I didn't hate it as much as I thought I would going into it. Snake-Eyes has always been my favorite character of all time and he was portrayed well by the always awesome Ray Park. The rest of the JOEs didn't really do much for me. I did like Scarlett's laser crossbow thing a lot, though. I thought both Storm Shadow and Baroness were pretty cool in the movie, but (as I did before the movie came out) still completely hated the Cobra Commander helmet with a passion.

I did like the few nods to the comics....Breaker blowing the bubble with gum like he did all the time in the comics, the big 99 on the aircraft carrier showing it to be the U.S.S. FLAGG from the comics, stuff like that.

I've been rocking my 1985 Snake-Eyes costume for 11 years now, so after seeing the movie, I am totally doing a "Snow Snake-Eyes", especially since I live in Michigan where we have winter. :lol:

Saw it and like it. Not old Joe but a reinvision for sure.
The only thing I have to say is that there was a sea battle and were was shipwreck? I wanted that salty dog with the parrot.
Also didnt the movie remind you of Halo when Duke was suiting up? Masterchief anyone LOL. Also Cobra's mask reminded me of Dr. Doom form the Fantistic 4 movie, just clear.

Just got back with the wife from seeing it...and honestly...if you don't mind a few small liberties to make a 30 minute cartoon commercial for a toy from 1985 into a 2 hour 2009 'action flick to sell more toys to our kids'...and expect it to be as such...you'll walk out satisfied. We both enjoyed it! I agree that Ray Park, Stormshadow and the Baroness definately stole the show. We both felt that it was really refreshing to go to a movie like this and not get bombarded with unneeded cursing, poor attempts at "ghetto slang" and overused sexuality.
Also, it helps to always keep our rose-colored glasses from way back when in their case when going into these types of things. ;)
Definately take the kids to this one. I plan to!

Last edited by a moderator:
My son and I we love the movie, he is 8 years old, and probably we are going to see it again but in the Auto cine, now my son said "i have another hero at home", when i put my snake eyes costume.

It's every kids dream to have a daddy-heroe. Your son is a fortunate one.

About the movie:

I hated the Wayans guy, who ever told that guy he is funny?????:confused

I liked Snake Eye and Storm Shadows' fight scenes. (y)(y)

I was imppresed by the Baroness.:eek: she actually rulled.

Since I wasn't expecting anything good or bad, and it turned out good enough, I enjoyed it very much, and saw it again at the Drive in.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back