Mandalorian helmet/armor in progress.

HERE WE IS:

mandalorian armor.jpg

That's my prototype armor, I got some acrylic plastic from home depot, and am going to be watching my dad slice it into armor.
Will be using Acrylic paint to do cool stuff to it.
Hope y'all liked my cardboard armor :D.

the pink frilly thing is my little sister's...

Anyway, for all those wondering how to slice acrylic plastic into armor:

Get a permanent marker. Have your design drawn a few times on paper to get the feel of it...
I say this because no other marker will stick to plastic and stay there after being wiped.
DO NOT do this unless you are sure you know what you're doing...
(I used two colors, one to edit and the other for the design)
Anyway, once you have the design all on there, take a roll of duct or masking tape, and tape EVERYTHING inside the lines you just drew.
Then get a dad, an ultrafine saw (Preferably electric, as it can take hours or LOOONG minutes to saw through by hand, I think)
Start sawing away, or get your dad to if you're too young.

Health problems: You MUST have a mask, kinda like the ones nurses have while they're doing surgery in movies. (MOst plastic doesn't give off a gas when cut, it's just chips fly off, and you may inhale them and...well, who wants chunks of plastic in their lungs anyway?)
Eye protection is unavoidable, unless you want to have bits of plastic sticking there :D.

Hope this helped all ye acrylic-plastic users...
(My dad hasn't cut it yet, that part is so far just theory and what the home depot guys told us)

I will be posting pics of my OFFICIAL (Drum roll) Mando armor!
(As soon as it's done)

Here's one to pass the time :D.

The bucket is the voice changer I was telling you about earlier, and the plastic is the armor-in-the-making.
Sorry I couldn't make it any bigger.

Mando armor in-the-making.jpg

What do you mean by "using"? Are you heating it in the pot for forming? Boiling it in water? There's not so much that can poison a metal pot, I don't think. I do know that there are some clays that can't be baked in the same oven you cook your meals in, but I think that has to do with material cooked out of the clays that winds up indelibly on the inner surface of your oven. I haven't heard of anything that might be heated up in a pot that could get into the metal to cause harm later.

Having said all that, the ultra-safest way to do things is not to use something you're going to use for food for anything else, but I know that money and parental supervision/permission is critical here.

I'm interested to see how your acrylic turns out. What thickness did you get? And why acrylic?

Boiling it in water to give it shape and let it press against my body easier.
lol, because acrylic was the thinnest and cheapest there...we needed thin because our saws weren't all that great. I think it's about an eighth of an inch, perhaps...not really sure.
Thanks, ioelus...you've saved us from telling my mom something....bad.
The world may have ended as we know it.

Just thought of something...
I bought a ninja costume at goodwill for halloween two years ago.
Coincidentally, I'm using it for my jumpsuit.
It's made out of acrylic plastic :D, I'm using acrylic plastic for armor (Hard, for some reason) and acrylic paint :D :D :D.

Here are some pics of my armor-in-the-making...left includes the shoulder bells, codpiece, thigh guards, and knee armor.
Right includes collar piece, chest plates.

mandalorian armor2.jpg

Mando armor in-the-making.jpg

Right, where can I find them?
And how do you USE templates, anyways? Whenever I see something someone calls templates, all I see is a bunch of seemingly random lines.
Oh yes, and my two-piece arrived yesterday...
I can't believe I spent 40 bucks on it, though I realized that it would be easy to modify.
(Any price over 30 dollars for this helmet is a HUGE rip-off)
Fault: It's very bendy, and thin. (Which makes it bendy)
Fault: The visor is also quite bendy, and see through.
Fault: IT's unbelievably huge on the inside, and I had a very hard time modding it to fit my melon.
Good: The extra space gives ya lots of room to put electronics and such in!
Good: When you're done modding, you get this good feeling like you've accomplished something great!

Last edited by a moderator:
ALMOST DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Chest plates, thigh plates, shoulder bells, collar armor, helmet (All painted).
Cod piece my mom said looked a little...innapropriate, so I stuck it on my back and called it a backplate :D.
Knee armor was plain corny, so I trashed one and made the other a back plate too.
Mercs rules say two pieces of armor below the belt, right? So I can still join (As a member that never goes to stuff)?

Unless you want someone hitting you in the spot that really hurts you should try for a cod peace. But its your decision. Mando's have a nack of wearing that protection so nothing hurts when they are kicked or shot. Would like to see some progress photos though vod. It can give us that insight of what we are really looking at.

Also, sorry, but it's been a while:
Finished, then trashed thigh plates.
New thighs and shins in the making.
Cod piece in-the-works.
Gauntlets...Still have no material for them.
Can you join the mercs if you have wraps on your arms instead of armor?
Cape: Found.
Chest plates: STILL done.
Helmet: Second layer of black delivered on back, a little touch up...may add some more designs in later.
May be adding little gadgets in my buy'ce :D...
Shoulder bells waiting to be cut out and formed...
Weapon (nerf maverick) is still in need of painting.
Is weathering required to join the mercs?
I think that's it for tonight...

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back