Scratchbuilt Jango

Okay... Finally I have had a few evenings respite from homework and have been able to start work on my eagerly anticipated Jango Fett costume... Over the last few days I have cut out all the plates of armour (minus the knees) from the sintra I got while I was on holiday over the school holidays... I have also started to assemble and modify the pepakura boba fett gauntlets that I will be using for auckgeddon, a local event in mid-late october and until I can make another more accurate, less rushed pair.

IMG_2447.jpg

IMG_2453.jpg

These two pics are of the armour plates cut out. They have yet to be shaped, and the edges still need to be smoothed etc.

IMG_2454.jpg

IMG_2455.jpg

IMG_2456.jpg

IMG_2458.jpg

These are the partially modified gauntlets that I will be fibre glassing for auckgeddon. They still need lots of work and the different parts are being held together with blu-tack for these pics

IMG_2461.jpg

This is the urethane helmet Dave (BH-2114) has kindly given me to use for this costume. It requires lots of work/moding/reinforcment to it as it is a faulty/reject cast but is certainly a large step up from the paper mache and corrogated cardboard helmet I was sporting for my custom mando at wellygeddon09, a local event in early april
laugh.gif
(see below)
DSCF0107.jpg

I have a half day of school today
biggrin.gif
so hopefully i will get the knees cut out, a bit more done on the gauntlets and if I have time I will start modding the helmet and cutting out the fabric for the flight suit. I'll hopefully post pics later this evening.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, thats a unique set of work you've got going on there. Kudos to your patience and the ability to construct slowly. It would seem patience is a virtue in this sector of the world!

Okay... Unfortunately I didn't get as much done this afternoon as I would have liked but I more or less finished the moding to the gauntlets until the bondo stage, and traced all the templates for the knees onto the sintra and cut about half of them out. No progress pics now but I promise I'll have them up within the next few days...

Ok... Over the weekend I have finished cutting out all the knee pieces and yesterday afternoon I started to file and sand down the edges of the armour plates, completeing the boot and thigh armour. I have also cut out and modified all the pattern pieces for the flightsuit, pinned them to the material I have got and cut it all out. After school today I will start sewing them all together... I also started moding the helmet, by grinding of the cheek detail and the earcap, ready to have the proper jango earcap installed when I get it.
IMG_2468.jpg
T
his is the helmet as it is now, without the cheek detail or earcap
IMG_2470.jpg

And all the knee pieces lain out.

I have also noticed that the pieces I cut out to laminate together for the dart blocks on the knees are too narrow so I'll have to recut them larger.

Hi the flightsuit is cotton drill... Which I have bleached to make lighter, however it still needs to be made abit lighter but I am going to do that as well as give it a lilac wash after it is all sewn up so that I have less material to try and manage. As for the sintra I got it from a sign shop... No local sign shops have it for me so while I was away on holiday I got it and cut it to fit in the boot of our car to bring back... It is also known as Commercial PVC Foamboard or Foamex. (Foamex and sintra are brand names)

Hope this helps

The sintra was NZ$110 for a 2.44m x 1.22m 6mm thick sheet. Unfortunately 6mm was all they had in stock, as I would have prefered 3 or 4mm thick as it would be a little bit easier to work with, though 6mm is still easy, it just requires a bit more effort to cut

Ok I now have the edges of all the pieces of fabric for the flightsuit over locked to prevent fraying and so it sits better and have started getting ready to sew it, with most of the pieces pinned in place ready to start sewing tomorrow.

Ok so last night I got a large part of the sewing on the flight suit done. As of the moment it still needs a zip up the front, to be taken in down the sides as it is too baggy and loose, the short and long sleeves need to be attached and the collar is still needed. Also everything needs to be hemmed, I should be able to finish it this weekend all going well :D Oh and once I have dyed it to the right colour I need to do some top stitching down the front of the arms with a matching thread like Jango has as seen here; http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/gallery2.php?g2_itemId=13196
Also this weekend I hope to get some fibre glass resin, and all the other safety gear, respirator, gloves ect... and make a start on the gauntlets, but they still need a bit more reinforcement first.

Anyways this is the flightsuit as it currently stands
IMG_2471.jpg

Ok so unfortunately a friend rang me up this morning requesting my help asap for a photo shot for her school photography assignment as the model she had arranged had had to pull out at the last minute, as fun as this was it completely destroyed all my plans for the day of working on my armour, so here I am after just having got home telling you that I accomplished nothing today :( I will however have some time tomorrow afternoon after work in the morning to make some headway on it :) Hopefully i wont have any more distractions to deal with aside from homework :angry
Anyway, I will have more progress pics tomorrow evening all going to plan... Until then... Stay cool

well, here's the real question. is she hot? cuz spending a day with a hot girl is an acceptable excuse for not working on a costume. lol XP

well, here's the real question. is she hot? cuz spending a day with a hot girl is an acceptable excuse for not working on a costume. lol XP
Lol yea kinda but we are just good friends and she is in a relationship anyway...
Ok so now I'm almost finished the flight suit... Just the collar and hems on the arms and legs to go... Hopefully I will get these finished tomorrow after school... Today I attached the arms and zip so a major step forward :) I'm now off to get the gauntlets ready for glassing, just attaching all the bits together etc and adding supports where needed, etc... We have had bad weather here this week end, but hopefully it will be better next weekend so fingers crossed, I will be able to start glassing them then... anyway heres a couple of pics of me in the near finished flight suit... to keep you going until then...
IMG_2486.jpg

IMG_2488.jpg

Okay... So I finally got some more time to work on this build this afternoon so I finished sanding and smoothing the edges of all the main body plates. Next step is to start shaping them which will be exciting!

Sorry for the long wait since the last update, but i have been busy with school exams and revision etc. However, now that exams are over, I have finally gotten a bit of time to work on this. I have shaped all of the plates now, apart the boots and back. For the boot armour I will wait until I find suitable boots and the back until I can get someone else to help me shape it to my back. Currently I am sanding down the edges of the plates as being 6mm thick they are too thick for Jango's plates. I have started shaping the knees, but still have a bit to do on them before I can start assembling them. I will hopefully post pics later tonight, or failing that tomorrow afternoon. But this project is deffinately still a go!

Ok as promised piccies of progress so far...
IMG_2550.jpg

Also I forgot to mention before that I have finished pep-ing the gauntlets and they are ready to be fireglassed which I will start in a weeks time during the school holidays. I am currently waiting on the correct cartridges for my breathing mask for working with fibreglass and then I will be set to go. T'is certainly getting exciting seeing it all come together!

Until next time Ciao! :D

P.S The other night I had a brainwave and for the holsters and ammo pouches I will be ripping up an old leather jacket that no longer fits me and was beginning to fall apart and using the leather from that as it should be about the right colour for it!

Yes it does. I am holding off on that for the moment as I have been really busy lately but should get it purple-ified over the upcoming school holidays... YAY! 3 days to go :D

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back