Scratchbuilt Jango

SCHOOL! know what you mean vod! it really gets in the way of all worthwhile plans for the day :(

Ive got a question for you (you may have answered this earlier on in this thread but i didnt seem to find it) Did you make that jumpsuit or buy it? because if you made it.... HOW?!?! It looks amazing (y)

This whole projects really coming along :D Good luck vod :cheers

Thanks vod. Yea school can be incredibly frustrating at times.:angry Yes I did make that flight suit, thanks for the complement.(y) I used the Kwiksew pattern 3389 with a few modifications like removing the pockets and taking it in at the sides a little. Changing the position of the seem on the sides of the arms was a little more tricky though. At the moment I am just waiting to dye it before I finish the sems so that i can get the right colour thread to match the final colouring of it.

Okay, quick update. Brought lots of supplies today... Fibreglass resin, hardener and mat for the gauntlets, fibre filler for strengthening the helmet in places, normal filler for modding the helmet and gauntlets once they have been fibre glassed, and primer for the plates. Just waiting for a fine day here as the last few have been fairly miserable weather :angry I also brought the boots I will be using for the time being, until I find better more suitable ones.

Also over the last few days I have almost finished taking down the edges of the plates to make them look thinner, I just need to go over them by hand to tidy some of it up a little. The knees are almost ready to be assembled now, just a little more to do on them first. However, the biggest progress I have made over the last few days is modifying a pattern we had, to make the flak vest. After several mock-ups, I finally got one that sat well and I was happy with.

If it is bad weather tomorrow I will be finishing sewing up the final vest out of vinyl, and other small jobs like getting the knees ready to assemble, whereas in the unlikely event that it is fine I will be making the most of the weather and priming all the plates and doing the first coat of resin on the gauntlets as well as applying filler to the helmet.

Just a question, am I able to do the fibre glassing and bondoing in wet weather or will it have any adverse effects on the end result?

Progress pics tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, today I finished off thinning all the edges, and they are much better now than before! I also shaped the boot armour and I am happy with how that is sitting. Did a bit more work on the knees and they should be ready to start assembling tomorrow afternoon, all going to plan, unless it is wonderfully sunny weather, in which case I will be spray painting, fibre glassing and bondoing. I peeled the protective film of off most of the armour plates today to sand the front surface of them ready for priming, and was amazed at the difference it made! It went from being a pile of plastic pieces to a pile of armour plates in less than 5 mins biggrin.gif

Also started shaping the back plate today, and I will finish that over the weekend when I have someone else to help me out. Also cut out the pieces of vinyl for the vest, ten minutes ago and will probable start sewing them early next week. I know I promised progress pics, but I cant for the life of me find the cable for my camera, so until I find it they will have to wait.

Anyways, hopefully I will be able to put up those pics tomorrow.

Didn't get much done today, did a bit of homework instead to keep the parents happy. I did however bike into town, in the pouring rain to pick up the cartridges for my mask which have finally arrived
biggrin.gif
I also dremelled out the rectangle detail on the chest diamond and attempted to do the two rectanges on the left chest piece, but it didn't work so well as I ended up going too deep. Tomorrow I will fill it with, er... filler, to make a second attempt. Can anyone give me suggestions as to how would be the best way?
Found the camera cable so as promised, I have progress pics
smile.gif

IMG_2565.jpg

This kinda shows the new thickness of the plates at the edge... hey have gone from 6mm down to about 2ish. I had a picture of the before to show you a comparison, but it was deleted off of the camera by someone else.

IMG_2566.jpg

This is the boots I will be using until I can find a better pair, with the now shaped boot armour sitting on them.

Thats all for now but I should be able to do my first coat of resin/bondo tomorrow so I will have a better update then.

Got quite abit done today, well for me atleast
biggrin.gif

I put the first coat of fibreglass resin on the gauntlets, and I am pretty happy with how they came out, for my first time fibreglassing ever
post-704-1254557643_thumb.jpg

Also got a coat of primer on some of the armour pieces
post-704-1254557240_thumb.jpg

As well I put some filler onto the dome and have started shaping it to be smooth, and regular, not bumpy like it used to be. Ignore the pen marks on it, they are to tell me where I need to put more filler on when I do more tomorrow
post-704-1254557421_thumb.jpg

post-704-1254557453_thumb.jpg

And i put some fibre filler, onto the inside of the helmet around the back to reinforce it where it was thin and breaking
post-704-1254557545_thumb.jpg

And here is a pic of the shins with the detail strip glued onto them
post-704-1254557596_thumb.jpg

Thats all for today, wont get as much done tomorrow as I have work all morning, but should hopefully get another coat of resin on, and more filler on the helmet. Also I would like to start assembling the knees, and wetsanding those pieces that have been primed ready for the next coat of primer.

Okay, so I have been slack recently, well actually, very slack. I have gotten quite abit done since I last updated. Most of the armour plates have been primed and painted silver, I just need to go around the edges of them all with silver now, then rubb 'n' buff them, them add abit of grime.
The cod piece and backplate have had the first coat of primer now. I had a small set back when shaping the back plate, and the first one snapped, so I had to cut a new one out and shape that. I am fairly happy with how it came out, as though not perfect, it is as good as I will be able to get it due to the sintra not wanting to bent in two ways at the same time :D

The gauntlets have been fully fibre glassed, and are currently near the end of the bondo stage. I have also nearly finished modding the helmet. I had a few setbacks with re-occuring cracks in the bondo, but that is all sorted now.

The flightsuit has had the collar attached and just needs to be hemmed and have the sleeves top stitched then lavander washed.
The flak vest has had the piping attached, been topstitched, and has been taken in at the back, now it just needs to be hemmed at the bottom, and have the shoulders attached.

I also have hose for the gauntlets, and a temporary girth belt for this geddon.
The ammo belt and pouches is underway now, and coming along nicely.

I will hopefully get pics up within the next few days or so, but just thought that I had better let you all know this is still coming along well, and should be finished in time for Auckgeddon B)

Okay, as promised, I have pictures.
IMG_2630.jpg

This is the armour plates as they currently stand.

IMG_2623.jpg

This is me wearing the flightsuit, vest, minus the shoulders and the temporary girth belt. The vest should sit better with the weight of the chest plates on it.

IMG_2637.jpg

The front of the girth belt

IMG_2640.jpg

The back of the girth belt

IMG_2629.jpg

The knees currently. I need to redo the inside bit on the one on the right as it is too far out.

IMG_2628.jpg

The helmet as it currently is. I still have a few more days work on it yet, but it is getting closer to completion by the day

IMG_2633.jpg

The gauntlets. Like the helmet they are near completion, with only a few days work left to do on them.

IMG_2636.jpg

And finally, the hose connectors I will be using on the gauntlets to attach the hoses with.

Thats all for now but I will be going out to the garage again soon to do some more work, though unfortunately due to the rain, I cannot do any spray painting at the moment
mad.gif

More updates in the next few days I promise...

Got quite abit done today. Put the last coat of filler on the helmet and gauntlets this evening, and did a lot of sanding on them all. Got the T visor cut out of the helmet which completely transforms it! Also got the flightsuit hemmed, so now all it needs is some top stitching on the sleeves and it will be ready for purplification
biggrin.gif

The shoulders have been sewn on to the vest and now all it needs is for the lining to be finished and then for the armor plates to be attached.

The gauntlets will be ready to be assembled tomorrow, and then I will be able to start painting them.

The helmet will also be ready for painting soon just need to get the earcaps which will hopefully be happening soon (hint hint)
biggrin.gif

Also worked on a neck seal today.

Tomorrow I will hopefully be able to do some painting as that is going to be the thing that prevents me from finishing on time (darn this infernal weather, i thought that summer was meant to be coming
mad.gif
)

I will post pics of things tomorrow as I cant be bothered right now.

Robert

Okay.. Now that auckland armageddon, exams and the holiday festivities are over I have decided to put the rest of my school holidays to use, completing some of the upgrades neccesary to my Jango for 501st officialdom. The list of to-do's is as follows;
-Construct jet pack (I have decided on doing the arena or stubby jetpack as it is less common and different to boba's)
-Remake gauntlets (as the old ones I made were far too small and not as accurate as I would have liked)
-Make accurate girth belt
-Reshape plates (when wearing my armour at armageddon i notices that some of the plates need to be reshaped a little bit ti fit more snugly)
-Make holsters (cos lets face it, rubies just doesn't quite cut it :D)
-Source my own set of westars
-Make accurate knees

I think that is about it really as far as the to-do list goes.

I will have some more progress pics up by this evening if all goes well, but just thought that I would let everyone know that this project has not been abandoned like so many before it and that it is in fact still going :D

Great progress, congratulations
Keep it up!

Awesome job... one of the better scratchbuilt I have seen in a while.
Thanks guys it's good to have some encouragement :cheers

Here are some pics from the one of the two troops I have done so far in my costume both with varying numbers of the local 501st
th_IMG_2858.jpg

th_IMG_2867.jpg

Anyway now onto the progress pics I promised...

th_IMG_2920.jpg

th_IMG_2921.jpg

th_IMG_2922.jpg

th_IMG_2923.jpg

th_IMG_2924.jpg

The gauntlets are now ready to be fibreglassed which I will hopefully get done tomorrow or the next day and the next step on the jetpack is the rocket, thrusters and two cones that go on top of the fuel tanks on each side (not sure what the proper term is :) )
Also I have found a pair of leather gloves that when dyed dark blue should be fairly good for a decent price locally so just need to wait for the store to restock their large size and I can get rid of the polypropelyne ones I have temporarily been using that are 3 sizes too small :D

Hopefully more progress will be coming soon but my time will be reduced once summer break finished and I have to go back to school at the start of feb, but I should be able to get a decent amount more done before then even though I will be going away for a week.

And finally it looks like I am on track for the completion of this costume (up to the required 501st standards, and my own high standards) before september when I turn 18 and can join the 501st

Robert

*EDIT* P.S Also the new gauntlets will be big enough for me this time so my wrists won't get rubbed raw every time I wear them :D

Okay, believe it or not this is still happening... :D Now with my 18th birthday a few weeks back and Auckgeddon '10 just around the corner I've pulled this project out of the closet. At the moment I'm working on a few upgrades for Auckgeddon, and then after geddon and end of year exams (over the summer holidays) hopefully I will finish it off and get it 501st approved. :D

I've only got a few new progress pic for now, of the gauntlets and jetpack.
IMG_3144.jpg

IMG_3696.jpg

IMG_3697.jpg

That's really all I've had time to do recently, though for Wellygeddon earlier this year I did modify some Rubies westars to use so I'll throw some pics up of them when I get a chance.

Okay firstly here is a comparison pic of the old and new gauntlets.
IMG_3698.jpg

It doesn't show up the difference in size quite as well as I would like but the new ones (inner pair) are over an inch longer, more accurate and won't chafe my wrists when I'm wearing them.
I have had other things to do these last few days so haven't had as much chance to work on this as I would like but i picked up some more bondo and sand paper, as well as some expanding foam to fill some of the cavities in the jetpack with
IMG_3702.jpg

More progress tomorrow evening hopefully!

Yes, I will use Rub n Buff. The reason I have sprayed all the plates silver as well is so if I don't quite rub the rub n buff well enough for it to fully adhere in any spots, then if the rub n buff comes off the plate will still be silver underneath, rather than the white of the primer. Does this make sense?

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back