my mystery helmet progress pics

hansoloway

Well-Known Hunter
Hey, here's a link to pics of my mystery helmet which is being painted in the ESB paint scheme. I'm using the panzer green 1943 and weathered black as Lee suggested. The red on the front visor part and the green/blue back are custom mixed. This is my first attempt at topical weathering, and although I think it looks good from far away, I think I still like the look of the masking technique better (which I've always done in the past.) I don't know, I just think the topical weathering looks fake close-up, Even after I take a scotch brite pad to it. What do you all think?

http://photos.yahoo.com/hansoloway

There she goes.

Looks like a great helmet you've got going there. The colors seem nice, I like the gold on the right ear! The damage appears believable, well-applied and everything. It of course needs more damage, more of the tiny flecks here and there to give it that random real-world appearance, but once those are on the effect will really become apparent.

Looks better than mine does, can't wait to see it finished :)

Phil

The cheeks are floquil weathered black and the back is a mix I made of panzer olivgreen 1943 and testors sea blue. I mixed until it matched my reference pics.

hansoloway wrote:

I think I still like the look of the masking technique better (which I've always done in the past.) I don't know, I just think the topical weathering looks fake close-up, Even after I take a scotch brite pad to it. What do you all think?

"I'm pickin up what your puttin down bud!" :lol: I really have problems w/ getting topical to look good, but yours is looking pretty sharp there. I like it alot. seems like you got the hang of it to me! can't wait to see more pics. (y)

This thread is more than 20 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back