How to make a fibreglass+bondo copy of my custom helmet?

trooperclone

New Hunter
I have seen many people who make a clay custom helmet and then made a copy of it using the original as the mold. They are many which use fibre-glass. How do you do it??I really need to know,cause i made a custom mando lid, but i can't wear it, cause i don't know how to make a copy:confused.

plz help!!

I have no idea...
But I'm trying to figure out how to scratchbuild my own helmet, as most of the ones online are pieces of ****.

The real question is; Will it be feasible to even make a copy of your helmet. You will spend about $200 on RTV, $100 on Plastipaste (for the mother mold) and about $80 for resin. Add the cost of some Thi-vex, sonite wax, release agent, and shipping to all that and you can put it at well over $400 total to mold a helmet. You have to think it out and see if it is cost effective to go through with the process.

If the answer is yes, then i have seen videos on youtube that can be very helpful. All you have to do is use the search feature and punch in the term, "MOLD" or "MOLD MAKING". I dont mean to come across as harsh but the internet has a wealth of information out there and all you have to do is search for it. You cant expect people to just place the information on your lap. If you decide to tackle this project and you run into questions while working on your molds, then i know that i or anyone else here familiar with the process will try and help, but first, you need to show some initiative. ;)

Or you can use silicone caulk as a mold. :) 25 dollars for a full mold, with great stuff as the backing.

For an entire helmet? I saw the one made for a mask. easy enough, but for a helmet, how would you make a 2 part silicone caulk mold and a two part "great stuff" mother mold?

Yeah, kind of, the you can use hot glue or bondo, or plumbers putty to cast another helmet, just SOAK the slicone in water for about an hour. Heat up sticks of hotglue in a pan, then brush it on. :)

I haven't personally, but I've seen a video of someone doing it. They used plaster for the mold but someone else posted on bondo as a casting agent. It's also in the Prop-makers guide to molding and casting page 120 or so. :)

not really guys, but thanks again for the support.I should stick with sillicone.
By the way, do anyone know where to find reference images of the clone troopers from the new animated series and the movies.Hope season two comes out good.The reference would really help.:confused

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back