First relatively successful scratch build

Dustfinger

New Hunter
Hey. I'm not new to the site, I just lurk around and look at some of the great work here. I thought I'd give it a try. My first attempt resulted in anger and a crushed bucket. This time I've used the WOF templates and followed the progress of others. Like many, I've used picture mat board and hot glue. Instead of bondo for the dome however, I used a pre mixed paper mache. I had no issue working with it. It's a little easier to sand and apply. My issue though is that it dries with a porous surface. I figure I can use a light body filler to fix it. Or maybe a few coats of resin would be able to fill those pits? Any ideas? I intend to fiberglass inside and lay a few coats of resin on the outside.
Thanks.

2qmet7b.jpg

33jk2n9.jpg

288s3n7.jpg

a0jqc6.jpg

wbaygy.jpg

1dzpe.jpg

I added the dent today. I cut out the shape from the helmet and glued a piece of cardboard to the inside behind the hole. I used more paper mache mix to fill the hole and used the flat end of a ruler to make the signature lines of the dent. I was going to do the arrows as well, but I thought I would end up losing some of the detail when I coated the helmet in resin. I opted to do it afterwards. The picture makes the dome look worse than it is.
At this point the dome is flush with the rest of the helmet. After fiberglassing, I'm going to wrap another layer of mat backer board around to create the difference. I've yet to decide on a course of action concerning the pitted surface of the dome. I'd rather not deal with any sort of filler, though a light spackling paste might be alright. I'm hoping the resin will fill the holes and seal the helmet at the same time. I'm waiting on mat and hardener now as far as the rest of the helmet is concerned. Still open to ideas, guys.

The keyholes in the back are to be added after fiberglassing the inside. Right now, The shape of the helmet is being held together by a strip of cardboard on the inside where the key holes would be. I'm also considering making the rangefinder move with a servo. Keeping my eyes out for a cheap rc car.

2gvpr4m.gif

4lmtmq.gif

odci.gif

i AM a noob. so only 2 Q's. how do you fiberglass a bucket? and is it really necessary? (as in how does it affect the result of the finished product?)

The necessity of fiber glassing depends on a few things, namely the material out of which the helmet is built, and the stress the helmet will undergo. The point of fiber glassing is to strengthen the helmet. With enough layers, your helmet would become very rigid and durable. Fiber glassing requires a combination of mat, resin, and hardener. Google, as well as many other threads, has more information as to the specific procedure.

Last edited by a moderator:
I put the first layer of fiberglass on the inside today. It's still flexible, but I'm going to put at least another layer on, if not more. I bought a new tube of hardener and mat today. I ended up using almost all of the hardener. I didn't take time to measure it out, so I figured more would be better than less. I managed to do it with 3 small batches, plus it only took a little more than an hour to cure. It's not tacky. Getting more hardener on Tuesday. Between then I'll work on coating the ears and making the keyholes.

25upgub.gif

9ay6hy.gif

2qbx1cx.gif

2jc9d8m.gif

the trouble with using too much hardener is that it can make the stuff really brittle. next time 'round you should really try to measure it out :)

it looks to be coming along nicely!

ya...what he ^ said...

Looks like its comin out awesome though!..makes me wanna finish mine....after the vaders though...after the vaders...lol

Thanks, guys. I get excited when I work on my helmet, and I guess I skip stuff like that. I'll definately keep an eye on the ratio next time, though. I should have some more of my progress up soon.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back